Glacier landing vs dog sledding flight

Boxer Lover

Can't decide whether to go on a glacier flight with a walk about or do a flight that takes you to the dog sleds. The dog sled flights are alot more money. Are they worth it vs just landing and walking on a glacier? Also,

is there snow on the glacier or just ice. I know the dog sled is on snow. Which do people think is the best excursion. Also, we will have our 15 year old son with us so which do you think he would like to do better?

Thanks for any advice

We opted to do the Glacier Trek by Helicopter instead of the dog sledding. The main reason was that I learned here (thanks Budget Queen) that you do not get to drive the sled yourself and DH didn't want to sit in the sled or ride tandem with anyone else so I figured save the $$ and just walk on the glacier. We LOVED this excursion. I'm sure I would have loved the other as well but I just cannot tell you how much we enjoyed being on the glacier. And to answer your other question the glacier that we were on (Meade - out of Skagway) did not have snow it was all ice and it was spectacular. I really think you will enjoy either one it is all in how you feel about what happens on a dog sledding trip.

Good luck!

I had the same question, and my first trip we did the glacier landing with a walk and absolutely loved it. Being so up front and close to the glacier was spectacular.

On our second trip we did the dog sled ride and loved that as well, although it's a different experience. The sleds go on snow, so you do not get to see the crevaces (sp?) or glacial ice. We did get to ride with the musher on the runner of the sled, so it wasn't only sitting in the sled.

Both experiences get you far from the crowds and on the glacier. My recommendation is to do the glacier walk the first time, and the dog sled ride on your second trip to Alaska :-)

You get much more ice with a glacier helicopter landing. For me standing on the skis (brakes) isn't much more than the basket- my opinion only, having gone on my own.

both are certainly raved about tours, enjoyed by many.

Archived