Doone, I have a question for you agian.

Himself

Dear Doone:

Last year I was talking to you on these threads and you told of going through priceline and you got a nice place for about ????? My question is

1. How much did you bid? and 2. What hotel did you get and 3. where was it in relation to 1. the Cruise Ship and 2. the Intercoastal waterway.

Please advise and Thanks

Himself

Himself, here is what I did:

I bid 3*, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, ended up with my bid being accepted for $52 at the Marriott Hotel and Marina. This was for a Monday night stay as I sailed on a Tuesday last year.

THIS year, I bid again 3*, downtown AND beach zones (hoping for the Doubletree Ocean Front, which I believe is in the beach zone), got my bid accepted at the Marriott Hotel and Marina again, but being a Saturday night stay, I had to bid higher and got it accepted at $75 for next March.

The Marriott is very close to both the airport and the pier. As a matter of fact, if you stay here, ask for a room that faces where the ships come in, you can see the pier from the hotel. The do NOT have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, a taxi shouldn't be much. We didn't need to use a taxi from the airport as friends picked us up. When we checked in, I signed up immediately for the shuttle. Being a Tuesday sailing day, we were the only ones on the shuttle and chose the 11 a.m. shuttle. I have heard, however, that weekends, I am sure, the shuttle fills up quickly, so if it is and your time is too late for the shuttle, I would take a taxi, its not far from the hotel and shouldn't run you more than $10ish.

There is a water taxi that stops at the Marriott and for $5 you can ride it all day. Take it to Olas Blvd., great eating areas there, the hotel for eating we found very expensive.

Hope I answered all your questions, if not, please ask away again.

Doone:

Thanks for the Info. I sail on Saturday this year so mine would be a Friday night. I think I will bid $52.00 and see what it gets me. I hope I hit the Mariott you just described. My plane gets in about 3:30 in the afternoon and so I guess 10 or 15 bucks to the hotel via taxi. I hope it works.

Himself. I will be going on the Volendam again. It will be my third trip on this ship.

Himself

Himself, did you bid the downtown Ft. Lauderdale area???? If you received the Sheraton Airport, sounds like you may have put checked off the Airport zone??? Just wondering because, like Peaches said, you shouldn't have received a hotel outside your bidding area. I have heard of hotels being awarded on priceline in the airport zone for my March 11th date, but I don't want that area and have stayed away from checking it off. Just curious as to what and how you bid.

I am sure this hotel is just fine, I would be happy for the price. Its a Sheraton, it can't be that bad, can it??????

What date are you sailing the Volendam? As you know, I am as well on March 20th.

I put down two areas, as priceline suggested. I put down the downtown area and I put down the airport. I guess I goofed. I will let you know what I think of the Sheraton at the Airport. I know the Airport is about a ten dollar cab fare to the dock but it does blow seeing any of Ft. Lauderdale. I hope this answers your question. Next time I will just bid the downtown area and let the chips fall where they may.

Himself

Himself, I am sorry you didn't get the Marriott, but your right, just do the downtown Ft. Lauderdale, perhaps you'll have better luck. Please let me know how you liked the Sheraton, it can't be all that bad, its a Sheraton. I may end up doing the airport zone as well for my March 11th cruise, still getting rejected for the downtown and beach zones. I still have time, so I am waiting, but still glad I got the Marriott for the 19th.

I love the Volendam, have a great cruise.

Archived