Cigarettes on board?

learjetjock

You can buy cigarettes on board HAL in the same shop that sells liquor. Some brands are available in half cartons (5 packs) for about $11 or so. Not bad when you think that in New York cigs are over $7/pack. Varieties are somewhat limited (I prefer Merit Ultra Lights, but had to settle for Marlboro Lights), and you need to keep in mind that the ship's shops are only open while at sea, not while in port.

When I see the price of cigarettes I am glad that I have not had one since 9:40 A. M. Central Daylight time, June 8, 1992. Almost 12 years and three months. When I quit I was getting them for $1.85 a pack. When I first started I was getting Lucky's for .20 a pack at Walgreens. I am smoking less now and enjoying it more. Hardest thing I ever did was quit smoking cigarettes.

Himself

If you purchase cigarettes in St. Thomas, you are allowed 5 cartons per person, not sure what you are allowed on other islands.

Are you sure? I thought you just got a bigger liquor allowance from the USVI, and that cigs were the same no matter where you cruised?

When I see the price of cigarettes I am glad that I have not had one since 9:40 A. M. Central Daylight time, June 8, 1992. Almost 12 years and three months. When I quit I was getting them for $1.85 a pack. When I first started I was getting Lucky's for .20 a pack at Walgreens. I am smoking less now and enjoying it more. Hardest thing I ever did was quit smoking cigarettes.

Himself

:D But who's counting???

:) Good for you having quit since 1992. Congratulations.

I agree it was hard quitting but SO VERY WORTH IT!!! Definitely one of the hardest things I've done but one of the most worthwhile for myself and everyone around me. :)

Gotta contradict, Doone was correct in the amount you can bring in from the USVI. I was told this by both shopkeepers and also by a customs official. Its 5 cartons, only one carton if you don`t go to the VI. Also, on all HAL ships I`ve been on they sell Merit ultra light cigs. This is my preferred brand, but they only come in regular length, not 100s...jean :cool:

Gotta contradict, Doone was correct in the amount you can bring in from the USVI. I was told this by both shopkeepers and also by a customs official. Its 5 cartons, only one carton if you don`t go to the VI. Also, on all HAL ships I`ve been on they sell Merit ultra light cigs. This is my preferred brand, but they only come in regular length, not 100s...jean :cool:

Thanks, I think I will go by what the cbp.gov site says none-the-less!

Thanks, I think I will go by what the cbp.gov site says none-the-less!

What cbp says is:

"If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam), you are allowed a $1,200 duty-free exemption. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession. Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. For example, if you were touring the South Pacific and you stopped in Tahiti, American Samoa, and other ports of call, you could bring back five cartons of cigarettes, but four of them would have to have been bought in American Samoa."

(it's listed under the "$1200 exemption section" rather than under the "Tobacco" section...)

-dave

What cbp says is:

"If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam), you are allowed a $1,200 duty-free exemption. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession. Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. For example, if you were touring the South Pacific and you stopped in Tahiti, American Samoa, and other ports of call, you could bring back five cartons of cigarettes, but four of them would have to have been bought in American Samoa."

(it's listed under the "$1200 exemption section" rather than under the "Tobacco" section...)

-dave

Thanks Dave, that is NOT what I have been told. However cigs are a little more in STT than even on the ship but far less than here!

Gee, I guess I expected it to be under the tabacco section, silly me ;)

Archived