Shoes for visiting pyramids and tombs

Gritsgal

We are going to spend a day touring pyramids and tombs in early September on a Legend cruise and would like suggestions for shoes. My DH is sold on hiking shoes, but I am wondering about Keens. They are so comfortable and stable, but I think about hot sand coming in the vents and go....hmmm, maybe not. :eek: We are supposed to have lunch at a hotel and I just hate the thought of going in there with hiking boots.

Your thoughts?

Steph

Don't know what the terrain is like or how "heavy duty" the walking will be, but I'd check out anything by Skeechers..they make the best walking shoes that are kinda a cross between walking shoes and gym shoes but always in a funky fashionable style. I have several pairs. They are also great for traveling and can go with jeans, shorts, or casual pants.

We are going to spend a day touring pyramids and tombs in early September on a Legend cruise and would like suggestions for shoes. My DH is sold on hiking shoes, but I am wondering about Keens. They are so comfortable and stable, but I think about hot sand coming in the vents and go....hmmm, maybe not. :eek: We are supposed to have lunch at a hotel and I just hate the thought of going in there with hiking boots.

Your thoughts?

Steph

Our trip to the pyramids and tombs with lunch at a hotel was on the "Lost Luggage" cruise. I ended up with sandals that I picked up in Cyprus and was quite comfortable. It was very hot out, but there was not a lot of walking in the actual sand and I don't remember the sand being that hot. It was a great trip and I know that you will enjoy it !!

Whatever shoes you wear, you'll likely end up with a good deal of sand inside. First visit I wore something like Keens and they worked well. Second visit I had Skechers and they also worked pretty well, but I think I prefer the Keens just because the sand comes in but it also flows out, whereas with the Skechers I had to stop and empty them out a couple of times!

The sand wasn't that hot, but then I was there in November and February. The majority of folks on my recent tour had walking shoes on and everyone seemed to be fine with those as well.

Some kind of regular walking shoes, or sandals, depending on the weather, will work fine. You really don't need hiking boots, unless you're doing a lot more walking than most pyramid/ruins tours involve. I really don't remember that much trouble with sand.

I assume you are talking about the Cairo area? We were there in March and it was 60-70. If you are talking about farther south, it may be much, much hotter. The Luxor area was at least 100, Aswan about 85.

Enjoy! Egypt is one place we definitely want to go back to someday.

Archived