Reasons TO cruise w/3 year old?

Leyann

I really want to go on another cruise.. I really want to "test" my son out on a short cruise to see how he will do. I say that because while he just turned 3, he was a preemie and is about 10 months behind (and at the very end of the autistic scale - he is "labeled" as developmentally delayed only, mainly because he isn't speaking yet). We probably won't be going until sometime between October 08 and Feb 09. My husband loves cruising but he wants our next cruise together to be just "us". So, I asked my mother to go along with my son and I and she said she would go Disney but couldn't see a reason for the others except for "daycare". I tried to explain she has the wrong idea of the programs for kids but.. well.. she cruises HAL and they don't have many kids on those so she hasn't a clue. She tries to tell me that HAL has alot more kids on there now since she started cruising but she just has no idea of the difference. I mean, no offense to HAL, but a ton of 60+ year olds with a few 20's and 30's sprinkled in with kids DOES NOT equal a ship with primarily 20's, 30's and 40's with kids.

Our honeymoon cruise was on NCL. We asked many of the parents there what they thought of the programs for the little ones and they all raved about it and in researching, I've found such a nice variety on RCCL, NCL, Disney and Carnival (which she absolutely refuses to step on).

Now I love my son more then anything but I'll be honest, he is a handful and it is my vacation too. So while I want him to have a wonderful time, I want to be able to relax also and know he is in good hands. He is not into any disney character so paying the price for a disney cruise that would totally go over his head (now if it was elmo - thats a whole different story!) isn't worth it.

I'm trying to find a great cruise for 4-5 nights on the east coast that has a great kids program for 3 year olds. Plus.. try and explain to my mom why I want my son to have this experience (plus I'll be able to see if I can bring him on a 7-8 night cruise with hubby and I). I realize he is young, I realize he is "behind".. blah blah.. BUT I also know that even if he doesn't remember it years from now, I will. I want to give my son the world and even if he doesn't know it, I always will remember it.

So... how do you explain that to someone who just doesn't understand about bringing kids (thinking its just daycare - which mind you, I can just stay home for that!). I really think it will be a fun experience for her also but maybe I'm just climbing the wrong tree.

Thanks!!!

I'm not clear as to what you are asking.

Is it - you want to take a short "test" cruise with you, your mom and your son to see how he does, because you'd like to take a longer cruise with your husband, yourself and your son?

And your mom thinks it's foolish to bring your son because she says he'll just be in "daycare"? So you may as well leave him at home? But you want to bring him so he will also have a good time and be exposed to different things, but you want a ship with a great kid's program so you and hubby can have some alone time?

Is that close?

It almost sounds as if she really does not want to go with you from your post.

I'm not clear as to what you are asking.

Is it - you want to take a short "test" cruise with you, your mom and your son to see how he does, because you'd like to take a longer cruise with your husband, yourself and your son?

And your mom thinks it's foolish to bring your son because she says he'll just be in "daycare"? So you may as well leave him at home? But you want to bring him so he will also have a good time and be exposed to different things, but you want a ship with a great kid's program so you and hubby can have some alone time?

Is that close?

It almost sounds as if she really does not want to go with you from your post.

Yes, thats pretty close. Hubby doesn't want to go on the "test" cruise and I don't really want to go alone, hence asking my mother. And yes, it would be testing for the longer cruise with hubby.

She doesn't think I should leave him at home, she thinks we shouldn't go at all, its a "waste to bring a 3 year old" (she thinks we should do Sesame Place and zoos and farms and such - they get old really fast). I want to bring him to test for future cruises but I also want him to experience different cultures and just have experiences that I can give him now - who knows in 5 years what position I'll be in.

I want a great kids program on a "short" cruise so he will have fun for the test cruise mainly. Yes, I want one for down the road too but if he doesn't do well on this one, I'll wait a while before I try again and I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Sorry if my rambling was confusing! Yes, I feel like she doesn't want to go and if I speak to her about it again (when I tell her disney is out) if she doesn't show interest, I'll drop it with he. She losses out on seeing her grandson's experiences.

I'm also wondering what are other peoples reasons to go with a little one on a cruise? I guess to verify I'm not being selfish (again, my moms daycare guilt trip idea).

We just took the Seranade on the Southern Caribbean route. I thought their kids program was absolutely wonderful and the other great thing was that is was "open" for no fee during port days. Long hours!

I'll be taking six kids on our April cruise. The two reasons I love cruising with kids -

1. They can eat all and anything they want (including trying things I wouldn't dare order for them in a restuarant).

2. Free Childcare - that they LOVE!! You're right - I love my vacations too....but 24/7 is sometimes too much and some "alone" time with DH is so special! We don't want to leave the kids home but we also need a "little" break.......cruising provides exactly what we want.

I wouldn't personally bother with a "trial" cruise of less than 7 days. Personnally I don't think it's the same experience as a 7 day cruise. The kids don't really get used to the routine.

If your son has participated in any type of group care I think he'll do just great.

Judy

Reasons? To spend time with their children on vacation! Why would it be selfish to do that?

This pretty much says it all... One way to look at it is that the kids' programs aren't as much "daycare" as they are fun activities for the kids like zoos and farms (OK, maybe not as cool by themselves as Sesame Place, but when added to some fun shore excursions...), but you don't have to be there with the child the whole time (because as you said, the adult tolerance for such activities does have a limit!). So your DS can have his fun vacation and you can have yours (some with him and some just adult stuff) all at the same time.

My DD cruised when she was 21 mos, 3.5, and 8 (and next year when she's 9.5) and my DS when he was not quite 3 (next year he'll be 4.5). They both enjoyed it at all ages -- my DS still talks about Funship Freddie coming to the kids' playroom 9 months ago! Although, I will admit, my DD doesn't remember much about her first two cruises now -- she sure loved the one last summer.

Most of the cruise lines' private islands are really fun for kids now, so maybe a short itinerary that was mostly one of those? I do think it's a tough call between a short trip so that if it goes poorly you're out of there sooner and a longer one that gives enough time to truly adjust -- judgment call for you, since of course you know your DS and how long it takes him to adjust to a new situation best.

Hope this helps!

Julie

we took my daughter on a cruise when she was almost 3 and she remembers and is now soo excited to go this year on her second cruise (she is 4), never underestimate what children remember... she is already talking about the pirate face painting (I hope they have it again for her sake:p ) and some of the other fun activities they did, and as others have said this is a perfect vacation because of the "daycare" you get to have a fun family vacation but still spend time with your hubby alone...

i dont want to be the pessimistic one here, but:o last yr we took our 2 (3.3 and 2yr old at the time) on a Carnival cruise, (heard the kids program was great) anyways, they spent a TOTAL of 5-10 minutes in the program the whole time. They cried and we were paged amost immediately. It really bothered me because when we went back to pick them up, they were in the exact ssame place that we left them in, it was like they started crying and the counselers didnt want to deal with them crying so they just paged us. I dont think they even tried to get my sons involved to stop the crying. Anyhoo, we were their entertainment the whole time. We walked that ship about a million times, I know that ship better than the captain :D So this year, we picked RCCL Liberty of the Seas, their BIG ship with a bunch to do on the ship itself, so if they dont go into the program at least we will have the H2O zone, ice skating, the promedade, etc to do on the ship. Anyway, my point is, I would pick a ship that has things to do other than the program, just in case.

I can absolutely help you on this one. My dd turned 3 the day before we left and is also delayed and on the spectrum (PDDNOS). My biggest concern was that she was non-verbal and that camp carnival wouldn't understand her if she needed something. Fortunately for me she is a very good girl and is usually very well behaved. We went on the Liberty with 14 family members. To be honest, it was not relaxing but it was nice. She had a great time. Camp Carnival was just OK to be honest. Since she is about a year behind she wasn't into doing some of the things that they had planned. I would usually leave her during free play and then take her back with us. Just enough to allow my dh and I to enjoy breakfast or just go for a walk. Would I do it again? Probably! It was still a great trip. We took our stroller (Graco Metrolite) with us and used that alot during the trip. She loves to people watch so this was a god send. It may be harder for you if it is just you and your dh going. We took turns going back to the room with her to sleep/nap but at least the other one of us had my family to be with.

We took our 3 1/2 year old on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas and he absolutely loved it. We went at the end of September and he still brings up things about the cruise. He's even asked if we can go on another several times! He had a great time and if we have another, we won't hesitate to bring him or her with us even if they were younger than 3. It truly was a great family vacation. We spent a lot of time together doing family things, but we also had some time to ourselves without our son. I can't think of any other type of vaction that allows both. Note though, you certainly won't be able to do all of the things that you could just by yourselves. Set your expectation as such so you won't end up disappointed. Finally, I'm not exactly sure how delayed your son is, but note that on RC, being potty trained is a big issue. They have to be completely potty trained. They would not even help our son snap his pants after he went.

A side note- Our son too was a preemie- a "31 weeker" (9 weeks early). One thing they told us in the NICU is "Never trust a preemie." That is true to this day as our son has a very strong, independent spirit.

NCL and Carnival might be your best bests because the children don't have to be potty trained (you didn't mention whether he was).

As for short cruises- they are a good way to test the waters.

I understand why your mother isn't interested in Carnival and NCL. Holland America, Princess and Celebrity tend to attract an older crowd and she is more comfortable on Holland America.

Hi! If you are still thinking 4 - 5 days, you might consider Carnival's 5 night to Canada out of NYC. (Although I know you said your Mom won't even consider Carnival...) We've done it twice, and found the atmosphere on board to be exactly like a 7 night cruise.

Also, if potty training is an issue: Camp Carnival changes diapers, you just bring them a supply and keep them stocked.

I just wouldn't take any cruise when there are likely to be loads of children on board. We've been on cruises with 30 under 16, and on cruises with 700+ under 16 - believe me when I tell you the Camp experience was very different depending on the number of kids on board. We've had no issues, and the kids had fun no matter what, but you definitely can expect a higher level of individual involvement from the counselors when there aren't hundreds of children on board. Just the sign in/out process is a pain when there are a ton of kids, compared to when there are relatively few.

We've been cruising since our youngest was 25 months, and feel it is the best vacation with little ones.

Whatever you decide, whenever you cruise, have a great time!

As to the daycare argument, I would simply say: the children's programs are not daycare - they are simply daytime and/or evening activities that the ship plans especially for children.

Every night the ship plans a variety of activities just for adults, from the "big" show, to participatory game shows, to demonstrations, dancing, etc, etc. Does she see the ship's adult activities as "adult daycare"? Of course not. One of the reasons people cruise is for the varied day and nighttime activities.

Why would the children not want to attend the activities the ship carefully planned just for them?

Other great reasons to cruise with a three year old -

(a) the ports (or worlds, as my 3 year old used to call them). You can certainly arrange to do child friendly excursions at the ports - we do. We went to Coral World and the Butterfly House in St. Thomas and went on a dolphin excursion in Tortola recently. And of course, you can always arrange a beach day. The kids were in heaven!

(b) the pool. I don't know where you live, but my kids think it's the coolest thing to have a swimming pool within minutes of your room (we have to drive to our public pool)

© the music. I have yet to meet a three year old that doesn't want to dance all afternoon to Carribean music poolside

(d) the treats. Whether it's french toast every day for breakfast, ice cream every afternoon or a cute towel animal every evening, there are a million little things on a cruise that would make a three year old smile and think "this is the best!"

Take that crusie and have a blast!!

Funny...we sailed with the nephews (aged 6 and 8) on Carnival mid-February and they referred to the kid's club as daycare. A bunch of kids in an area playing games and doing activities...that is exactly what daycare is in their mind. My step-son (9 at the time) had a similar view, but never called it daycare. When there is a large ship to run around, and pools to swim in, why would they want to be kept indoors. They didn't hate the kid's club, just had no interest in being in it all the time.

If you're going on the cruise expecting to have a lot of down time because the child will be tied up in the club, you are taking a chance...he may love it, he may not.

In talking to a lot of parents with kids, many would opt for non-Disney cruises with kids, simply because of the sheer number of kids. Fewer kids generally means more attention. So some have said they prefer HAL or other lines because (a) they have worked hard to improve their facilities/program for kids to attract a slightly younger clientele and (b) they feel their child doesn't get "lost in the shuffle".

I have to say, from a new parent's perspective (daughter is 17 months with another on the way), I think it's unreasonable to expect a "relaxing" vacation. Well, I've learned to redefine relaxing. I would never think to travel without my child/ren and would never count on them bring in a kid's club for entertainment for the trip. I'm all for kids being kids, but I think the entertainment should be on us as parents. Relaxing has switched from laying in the sun while reading a book, to switching off with my husband so that we each get a little bit of "down time". Relaxing is not having to cook and clean for a week. If I wasn't happy with that version of a vacation, I wouldn't sign up for a cruise. Just my opinion.

Just to comment on the number of kids onboard. I think that you have to find a balance. I agree that there will be a totally different experience with tons of kids and few kids. We had a total of 30 kids onboard the Explorer under 17 (only a handful in our son's age range) and I can tell you that he would have enjoyed the program much more if there had been more kids. Don't get me wrong, he had a great time. However, he is very social and LOVES playing with other kids. Several times we went to the kids club and there were no kids there. He didn't like being there alone at all. So, we had to be much more flexible with what we were doing. I didn't want to leave him if I knew that he wouldn't have fun. At the same time, I'm not sure how enjoyable AO would have been with 1000+ kids onboard. It seems like it would be chaos! So, as I started out with, a balance is probably good. Not too few kids, but not too many either.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I am now firm in my decision to bring my son on a cruise.

I don't plan to drop my son off and relax the entire day without him, if I needed that, I would stay home and keep him in school ;) . He LOVES swimming so the sheer pleasure of taking him in a kids pool is a great thrill to me. I want to be able to see his face when he has his first experiences with different things. Now that being said, yes, there are times I hope to relax and eat dinner once in a while without worrying about him getting restless and going to see a show at night. But.. he is my son and my world and I can't even imagine taking him and just "dumping" him in the care program, even if he has an amazing time. I'm his mommy and I want to do stuff with him too :D.

I might like to do a shore excursion w/out him for a little part of a one day stop and then take him out to a beach or something for the rest of the day. - just because I want to see the area in a different way then a child - who knows if I'll travel there again. But then again, it may be something that is a whole day excursion just for him.

I've decided Carnival probably suits us best since currently he is not potty trained and not even interested at this moment.

I will definately plan on if he hates the kids program and if he loves it, thats great, if not, I'll just spoil him rotten in the pool and other places :) This cruise is for him. If DH and I need a cruise alone, thankfully we can have the Grandparents watch him, since thats not the case, its his choice (hopefully by then he can speak and tell me what he wants, lol).

Thank you again for everything. You have really made my decision of a cruise much easier! Now, I just have to work on the hubby again! Who knows, maybe I'll find a good cheap one out of Norfolk, VA over the summer/fall :)

My DD is now 12YO and has traveled with us since she was an infant. Why travel with a child

I agree with you -- I am her mom, and if only for selfish reasons, I want to show her neat cool new stuff! I had a child to build a family -- cherry-picking times when we will be a family and when we will not, is not an option in my mind. My DH, DD and I truly enjoy being together and doing things together. While my parents (when they were still alive) would have been happy to look after her while we vacationed, we never considered it (although DGM and DGF did accompany us on a number of our trips, not as babysitters but as valued members of the family)

Over the years my DD has taken advantage of the kids programs on many different lines. As fond as she is of mom and dad, she has always enjoyed meeting other kids. The kid's programs are a great way to do that. The programs have some great activities, and a pretty wide variety of things to do. Typically they are not just babysitting no more than the adult activites planned by the CD's staff are adultsitting!

Good luck with your planning and your trip! Have a great time.

PS - I am mystified as to why Disney would be "ok" in your mother's mind and that a non-Disney cruise line would be any less. So if the person doing the "babysitting" is wearing a costume, it's not "babysitting"?:D

I am honestly glad you chose Carnival...speaking as a mom who has a speech delayed 3 year old. When we were on RCCL Freedom, although we all loved the ship, she disliked the kid's program more than any other ship she had ever been on (she has been on 4 ships)

AT RCCL, they had many more crafts/educational games and focus needed tasks. At Carnival, they had Bubble Dance Parties...lol.

The counselor on RCCL actually said to me "Does she speak ENGLISH?" :eek: :rolleyes: And when I said "Yes of course!" She started laughing and said "Oh I wasn't too sure about that" :mad:

The counselors on Carnival LOVED my youngest. And she had a ball with them. They all seemed to act like little kids together...lol.

I love RCCL and for my older daughter, it's a great fit. For my youngest, I prefer Camp Carnival.

And for a "test run"...you can do a cheaper 3-5 day cruise. And still have a wonderful time.

Keep your mom at home...lol. :p ;)

He LOVES swimming so the sheer pleasure of taking him in a kids pool is a great thrill to me.

Just a gentle reminder because I don't know if the toilet-trained issued was answered. On many ships, the pools require that the child be toilet-trained. If he is, no issue. If he's not, make some inquires to make sure "your" ship has a splash pool for diapered ones.

I was just going to add that too. I know that for many cruise lines, a non-potty trained child absolutely cannot go into a pool on board (even wearing a "swim diaper") It is simply not allowed because of health reasons. Definitely check that before you book. We are going on NCL Dawn in Dec. so we have just started potty-training our almost 3 year old son as NCL won't let non-potty trained kids in ANY pool. We have several months, hopefully he will be DONE by then:confused: :)

Just a gentle reminder because I don't know if the toilet-trained issued was answered. On many ships, the pools require that the child be toilet-trained. If he is, no issue. If he's not, make some inquires to make sure "your" ship has a splash pool for diapered ones.

Thanks, I have already been looking into that! I'm counting on finding a ship with a splash pool but hopefully when the time comes, he will be trained :)

Thanks, I have already been looking into that! I'm counting on finding a ship with a splash pool but hopefully when the time comes, he will be trained :)

Oooh I missed that in your post.

Carnival has NO ships that have infant/toddler areas. Not for non-potty trained kids. :(

They have children's pools. But they are *suppose* to be no swim diaper, must be potty trained pools for children.

I know parents here have said they allowed their kids in the children's pools on Carnival and the crew said nada. But that's not the rules of the ship. And unfortunalty, we were on a Carnival ship where someone didn't heed the warning and the children's pool had to be shut down and scrubbed on our only sea day. :(

Just because the water is 1-2 feet deep on the Carnival ships and it looks like a Children's pool, that doesn't mean it is for non-potty trained kids.

A true infant/toddler area will be about 6" deep. And on Disney, the water actually drains away completly. On RCCL, the area is run through a special filtering system. But it is VERY shallow.

Once you get to 1-2 feet, that area is not for swimmy diapers.

My daughter is now 4 and has cruised on RCCL with me twice. She *loves* the Adventure Ocean program. On our recent cruise I asked her if she would rather do something with me on a sea day and she said "Mom, I can play with you at home".

If your child is not used to a group environment (i.e. doesn't go to daycare back home) then perhaps the organized kids clubs won't be ideal for your child. But if your kid is at all adventurous, and is potty trained (in the case of RCCL) then I say take 'em along!!!

Archived