Checking a 26" rolling duffle bag

star117

flying from VA to Vancouver - is this a bad idea??? I was trying to think of a lightweight luggage option for packing since we'll be needing heavier, warm clothes and shoes for this trip...and their are weight and baggage allowance limits working against us! I bought a new one from Belks (orig. $40 on sale for $7.50). My concern is that the duffle will get destoyed. We used on to fly to FL for a cruise last year and it did get a rip at the seam (but it was an older bag). Anyway...opinions welcome...thanks!

If you can get all you need in it, it should be fine! (Those damn restrictions are making everyone's life miserable!)

There are some very lightweight suitcases out now--I have one that weighs 9 lbs empty. They aren't expensive, either. Found mine at Belk, also!

I've checked a roller duffle many times with no problems. Got mine at a grocery store!

I put a large trash bag into the duffle first and pack into that. Keeps everything dry and tidy.

Using a roller duffle with save you several pounds of weight over using a suitcase.

Just keep in mind that since there aren't hard sides protecting the crushing of the contest, be careful what you pack in there. I stuck to clothing with our rolling duffles. Shampoo, blow dryer etc went in a regular suitcase.

I just did this last week with a rolling duffle I bought at Target and it worked great. I even stuck my portable DVD player in the center wrapped in a raincoat surrounded by shoes and it was fine.

The only trouble I had was that it's so easy to stuff in so much junk that it gets really heavy, but Southwest didn't say I was over 50 lbs, so I guess it was ok.

We purchased our rolling duffles from LL Bean, and for the most part...love them. They are much lighter than our other suitcases. Like others have said you do have to be careful how you pack some items, just make sure anything that can be crushed or broken is well padded. We've flown many miles with ours and no problems.

Just keep in mind that since there aren't hard sides protecting the crushing of the contest, be careful what you pack in there. I stuck to clothing with our rolling duffles. Shampoo, blow dryer etc went in a regular suitcase.

thanks carmen - yes, i did think of that problem regarding toiletries and such. I think we'll use 2 of these and a 'regular' suitcase for the more 'fragile' stuff that I would want to get crushed. thanks!

I just did this last week with a rolling duffle I bought at Target and it worked great. I even stuck my portable DVD player in the center wrapped in a raincoat surrounded by shoes and it was fine.

The only trouble I had was that it's so easy to stuff in so much junk that it gets really heavy, but Southwest didn't say I was over 50 lbs, so I guess it was ok.

stuffing to the point of being overweight is what I worry about and that is the first thing my hubby said, too. I'll have to be careful about that for sure. glad to hear it worked for you - thanks for the reply!

We purchased our rolling duffles from LL Bean, and for the most part...love them. They are much lighter than our other suitcases. Like others have said you do have to be careful how you pack some items, just make sure anything that can be crushed or broken is well padded. We've flown many miles with ours and no problems.

hi - thanks for sharing your experience with the duffles! I'm going to use 2 of them for clothing only and bring a regular suitcase for dress shoes and toiletry type items. there are 4 of us traveling to alaska and will have to pack a lot of bulkier warm clothes for the trip, so needed the lightweight luggage option.

Just be sure you weigh your suitcases. The problem with the big ones (I have several, plus a duffel - they all work) is that you can fit alot more in it, but then you go over 50 pounds...... We would pack and weigh, pack and weigh, pack and weigh...:D

Just be sure you weigh your suitcases. The problem with the big ones (I have several, plus a duffel - they all work) is that you can fit alot more in it, but then you go over 50 pounds...... We would pack and weigh, pack and weigh, pack and weigh...:D

Thanks! Unfortunately, We had to redistribute packing IN LINE when returning from our disney cruise 2 years ago :rolleyes: So I will definitely be watching that for no other reason than to save the embarrassment! LOL:eek:

I'll be traveling with only a roll-a-board and one checked bag. (Dutch Antilles Express and Air Egypt baggage regulations) The checked bag can only weigh 44 pounds and has to hold my dive gear and everything not allowed or that won't fit in my carry-on. I was on my way to the dive shop to buy a "Deep See Travelok 750" rolling duffel. Empty, it only weighs 7 1/2 pounds and it has a capacity of 6300 cubic inches.

Then I read this thread and became concerned that my liquids couldn't travel well in a duffel. Who has packed shampoo, sunscreen, insect repellent, etc. in a checked duffel? How did you pack them? Did everything arrive OK?

event.png

event.png

event.png

event.png

I bought a small, hand held luggage scale at Radio Shack for $6.99. It is so great, my friends all wanted one and I've purchased a bunch as gifts for them.

No unpleasant surprises now when we get to the luggage scale at the airport.

Then I read this thread and became concerned that my liquids couldn't travel well in a duffel. Who has packed shampoo, sunscreen, insect repellent, etc. in a checked duffel? How did you pack them? Did everything arrive OK?

I would double seal them in ziploc bags to be on the safe side. The last 3 trips I took, my shampoo leaked out of 3 different travel bottles (I guess I can thank the TSA for ensuring it was sealed in a plastic bag :rolleyes: ) but that was in a regular soft-sided roll-away bag, so you never know. In my duffle I had sunscreen in an aluminum spray can, aloe gel in a plastic tube, woolite in a plastic squirt bottle and febreze in a plastic spray bottle and all were fine.

Archived