Two days to go/fever and 20 inches snow

TwoMateys

We are leaving for our first cruise in two days and my DD8, is home from school today with a 103 temp and vomiting (sleeping now). Invariably she bounces back quickly, and I can only hope she will do so this time too. However, it seems then I catch it, and as an adult, I don't get over it quickly. Any suggestions to keep myself from catching it? :(

Also, starting through the night and into our day of driving to the airport 2 hours away, we are expecting 20 inches of snow! :eek:

Please tell me that I am going to make it!:)

TwoMateys

It honestly sounds like she has the flu. MY 8 year old is home today with the same symptoms. I am looking for her to get worse before she gets better.

Some docs will give her Tamiflu. Some peds won't.

But you might want to call YOUR doc to see if you can get a dose to take with you just in case you start to get it on the cruise. From what I understand, this flu strain is a wopper. :(

And PLEASE tell me that this flight will get you in the day before and not the day of the cruise? :eek:

I just got back from Tampa and flights were delayed everywhere. There were people waiting to board our flight that had been delayed on three EXTRA flights because they couldn't get to their airport.

We waited 5 hours for a plane from Cleveland to be de-iced to pick us up in Cincinatti to get us to PA. I was calling rental companies to see if I could get a car because they were threatening to cancel our flight. And the next one was 11am the next MORNING. Instead of getting home at noon I got home at 6:30pm.

So I hope that you aren't going to try to make it in the day of. :(

Oh my! It's a parent's worst nightmare! I agree with cruisinmama - contact your doctor. I'm with her assessement that it sounds like the flu. It has been going around here in NJ with the same symptoms. I hate to put a damper on things but if it is the flu, it is a tough bug. The kids who had it were down and out for days. Tamiflu doesn't cure the flu but does help to lessen the impact plus the rest of the family can take it as a precaution. (Hopefully I'm wrong and it is a run of the mill stomach bug and she'll be better today.)

Best wishes to you and I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please let us know how you make out! We leave in 2 weeks and I have been disinfecting everything like crazy! :)

Well, we are driving to the departure point the day before, hotel over night, getting up at about 4:00am:eek: to catch the flight the day of the cruise. I requested air through the cruise line and this is when they booked us as we only booked 3 weeks ago. As long as it isn't too bad I can do the slow and sure method in driving.

I did not know about Tamiflu so will check into it. Any other suggestions, anyone?

Some good news--I just called the airline direct as the cruiseline did not book seat assignment on our return flight and they have put us in first class for a 4 hour flight! :)

Maybe my luck is changing.

TwoMateys

I just called my ped about the Tamiflu. They said they aren't recomending it unless the child is "really, really down and out"

Which is odd since you have to catch it early to have it work at all, so how will we know if they are going to be really down and out? :rolleyes:

Oh well, I wish you the best!

I would suggest, for you, lots and lots of vitamin C, like 200 mg every hour all day long for a total of 2-3 grams. Lots and lots of echinacea and goldenseal. I like to take these in tincture form, take a dropper full every hour or so of each. This usually helps for me, though you might not get the same great results, but it's fairly cheap and it couldn't hurt! :)

Good luck, I hope it misses you this time!!

If it's the flu that's been going around everywhere, I agree. It was pretty bad at our house and has taken a couple of weeks to get over. And, we all got flu shots this year.

I recommend you get plenty of sleep if you can and constantly wash your hands! I don't think there is much else you can do.

Did you buy trip insurance?

If it makes you feel any better- your child does not have the flu. Sounds like a virus and will run its course.

The flu is not characterized by vomiting. The flu is high fever with chills and lathargy.

You will have to play it by ear. If you are ill- they won't let you board.

Update - I think we are going to be okay. I did get the Tamiflu for myself just in case, and vit c. (thanks Cruisinmama, Desertbelle). My DD's fever broke yesterday late afternoon and suddenly she was fine. I wish I could bounce back like her. Today she has some cold symptoms.

The snow has started but I hope the worst is over by the time we get on the road. Now, on to the manicure.....

TwoMateys

If it makes you feel any better- your child does not have the flu. Sounds like a virus and will run its course.

The flu is not characterized by vomiting. The flu is high fever with chills and lathargy.

Actually that's not true. The flu presents itself differently in children than it does in adults. I get your point that everytuime someone says "I have the stomach flu"...that is an untrue statement because infuenza is a respiratory virus and not a stomach virus. But in children, it is very possible to get vomiting with the flu.

I took this from the KidsHealth site...

Signs and Symptoms

Symptoms of the flu may include:

• fever
  • chills
  • headache
  • muscle aches
  • dizziness
  • loss of appetite
  • tiredness
  • cough
  • sore throat
  • runny nose
  • nausea or vomiting
  • weakness
  • ear pain
  • diarrhea

And to TwoMateys - I am SOOOO glad she is feeling better! Let's hope it wasn't the flu and just your run of the mill cold. :D

I am so glad that all is well. I feel your pain. The day we were leaving for our cruise my 3 yr old woke up vomiting at 6am (we were supposed to leave at 11. She vomited one other time but that was it. We made it through the flight with flying colors and were actually swimming that night. She bounced back like it was nothing. I don't think it was a virus because no one else got it (we were traveling with 14 people).

I have always found that the throwing up/diarreha type viruses last 24 hours and then you are almost 100%.

I had the flu in 1999 and I can tell you that it knocks you out. You feel like death with no energy. Hardly enough energy to open your eyes. It lasts 7 days (even if you feel better after 3 or 4).

Archived