Color coordinate my family?

Many of you have helped me with my petite dress size dilemma. Now that I have found a dress - cream/gold color, I finally found a dress for my DD. She's only 13 and it was a nightmare for us to come to an agreement. We found a black dress with a black/offwhite polka dot skirt. Very cute and fits well on her tiny frame. My question is, my DH and DS are wearing black tuxes, my daughter in her mostly black dress, won't I stand out in my dress? I've been so busy just trying to find a dress for each of us that I hadn't given much thought to the family photos!! I also bought a little black dress, it isn't near as pretty as the cream one but I could wear it instead. Wondering what the rest of you have done?

Why not ask your family (or your daughter) what they think would be better. Then, do what you feel is most comfortable for you. If it's to get a family portrait, then bring the black dress for the pictures and change to the other for the rest of the evening--if that's the one YOU like better.

Mmmm...I do/am coordinating my family, but NOT in a prom matchy matchy way.

My feeling is that I do not want everyone looking like they belong to other families and they all got tossed into a group photo for some fun reason.;)

Flow and subtle is the key.....

If your dress is gold and cream,and her dress has off white in it ,it might be able to work.Off white is close to cream...sometimes it IS cream.

(It is awful hard to say w/o seeing pics)

Now if you were in, say, red and she was in pink and purple polka dots, and yet another member was in a floral....

I have seen this happen many times and cringe!:eek:

It sounds like it will be perfectly fine, you don't want to all outright match and you are NOT got going to clash.;)

Enjoy:)

Don't dress for the picture! Dress for the evening! If you look great in your "chosen" dress--wear it and feel good about yourself! Families aren't one "organisim"--they are individuals! Just have fun! No one will really care, after all! All you'll remember is the good time--and not stress about how the picture turns out!

Don't dress for the picture! Dress for the evening! If you look great in your "chosen" dress--wear it and feel good about yourself! Families aren't one "organisim"--they are individuals! Just have fun! No one will really care, after all! All you'll remember is the good time--and not stress about how the picture turns out!

exactly! you and your family will look beautiful:)

You don't have to match! Personally, think a cream/gold dress will look great in a photo with everyone else in black/white.

If you are in doubt, hang your dress next to your husbands tux to see if the white shirt makes your dress look "dirty". You can always put your husband and son in an off-white dress shirt instead.

My opinion is that everyone should wear what they think is right...it's just a picture. To me a family that is too "coordinated or matching" can resemble, well, the Stepfords..you know? I doubt in the end people who see your photos are going to notice or care, only you will.

A large family I know gets family portraits every year..they dress accordingly and they have two taken..one with "normal" smiles and the other where they are all making outrageous funny faces. It's a large, very close knit family and now that they have grandkids they are part of the mix. I never looked at what they wore when they take the photos, I always looked at their smiles and funny faces and thought "Oh wow, they really love each other to have so much fun like that!"

Many of you have helped me with my petite dress size dilemma. Now that I have found a dress - cream/gold color, I finally found a dress for my DD. She's only 13 and it was a nightmare for us to come to an agreement. We found a black dress with a black/offwhite polka dot skirt. Very cute and fits well on her tiny frame. My question is, my DH and DS are wearing black tuxes, my daughter in her mostly black dress, won't I stand out in my dress? I've been so busy just trying to find a dress for each of us that I hadn't given much thought to the family photos!! I also bought a little black dress, it isn't near as pretty as the cream one but I could wear it instead. Wondering what the rest of you have done?

Is getting a good family portrait important to you? If so, I would consider the "color coordination" aspect.

The first time I had a family portrait done (not on a cruise), I told everyone to wear what they wanted to, just so that they would feel comfortable. The second time, I was more of a "dictator" -- I had my husband and sons wear blue, white, or blue and white striped dress shirts with khaki pants and dress shoes, and my daughter and I wore dresses that complimented each other. The second photo was much better than the first.

If this is more of a picture to add to your cruise photo album, I would go ahead and wear the cream dress that you like best.

JMHO

My opinion is that everyone should wear what they think is right...it's just a picture. To me a family that is too "coordinated or matching" can resemble, well, the Stepfords..you know? I doubt in the end people who see your photos are going to notice or care, only you will.

A large family I know gets family portraits every year..they dress accordingly and they have two taken..one with "normal" smiles and the other where they are all making outrageous funny faces. It's a large, very close knit family and now that they have grandkids they are part of the mix. I never looked at what they wore when they take the photos, I always looked at their smiles and funny faces and thought "Oh wow, they really love each other to have so much fun like that!"

That is ridiculous...sorry

This is why really good photographers have you do this ...is creates symmetry, and balance.

To the OP...

I am an artist, and used to a make quite a good living doing commisioned work before I decided to devote my all my time right now to my young children.

Trust me, you do NOT want a bunch of competing color(s) in a composition...it is not "just a picture" otherwise you would not be here asking the question in the first place:rolleyes:

If the eye has too much to look at and focus on, it creates confusion and ultimately looks bad to the viewer.

You need or should always try to choose a color palette.Period;)

No ...a family is not an "organism":rolleyes: :eek: ,but it is worth the added measure of looking your best .

A little teeny tiny bit of planning goes a long way... nobody said anything about cloning for crying out loud.

You can BE just as happy and fun looking your best....

Does class and looking well impair happiness and good times?

My gosh people...are you serious?:rolleyes:

If everyone wore black, all of you might look like you're headed to a funeral, instead of a festive night aboard ship. The ship's photogs aren't that great & neither is the lighting. The shutterbugs want to get everyone in & out, to take as many snaps as they can. More to sell. :D

Also, I seriously doubt if you'd be able to discern the difference between a white or off-white dress shirt on your men. :rolleyes: Your dress might even appear more white.

If you really like the dress you bought, wear it & be surrounded by your family. You & your girl will be highlighted.

If you are looking for a new family portrait, you can always have a professional one taken in a real studio under controlled conditions that can be touched-up if necessary.

Have a great time - all of you. :)

Archived