Liquor Smugglers Beware~!! (Multi-ship experiences - merged)

We just off the Vision-while it seemed no one had a problem getting alcohol on board-the news around the ship was that a lot of people had their travel irons confiscated till the end of the cruise.
I hide my liquor in the travel iron - they get so confused about why to ban it, they just let it go.

I always smuggle my liquor bottle in the front of my speedo.

#1. Embarkation is great when you wear a speedo and tank top.

#2. No one in their right mind is gonna frisk someone in a speedo.

There is no room for a travel iron in a speedo, so have your children hide that.

Once on board I usually change into my jock strap and sailors cap, and save as many deck chairs as possible.

I believe you can still smoke on your balcony, which begs the question... could you iron on your balcony? :p

Once in a while, there is a truly funny post on CC, this is one of the few :)

Honestly, I think they crack down over the holidays really and not so much during the rest of the year. Spring Break brings underage kids (young adults) and I think for insurance purposes, RCCL and other lines have to show that they are actively promoting their "No tolerance" for alcohol smuggling to control and manage underage drinking. I think if you plan to cruise during the Spring break holiday, you should expect to get thoroughly checked. All other times I wouldn't worry too much about it.

We were just watching a show on TV about spring breakers on some island off Texas, don't remember the name. One of those with only college aged kids, all drunk, butt-dancing (this is what my 16 year old calls it) and wall to wall bodies. It makes me understand completely why some venues do not welcome those types of parties. Drunk youngsters = lots of property damage. Not to say all young adults are drunks and destructive, it only takes a few and there are always a few in these crowds.

why do ppl insist on bringing on a travel iron. This is a fire safety thing and concerns everyone on board.....remember that fire at sea a year or so ago....when it comes to others safety why do some ppl think they can just do what ever they want?

Now alcohol....well.....you run the risk of getting kicked off or getting it taken away, it isn't going to kill anyone....but a fire will. Makes me wonder about ppl.:confused:

I've never been able to find a travel iron that actually gets hot enough to burn my hand, or get out a wrinkle. I think you are worrying too much.

The only recent fires I can think of were caused by something in the kitchen (I think it was a Carnival ship) and the Princess ship (?) which after investigation, they believe it was caused by a cigarette thrown off the ship, landing on a balcony.

No fires by irons. They don't disallow curling irons or straightening irons, those are hotter than travel irons.

ps, I use none of the above.

why do ppl insist on bringing on a travel iron. This is a fire safety thing and concerns everyone on board.....remember that fire at sea a year or so ago....when it comes to others safety why do some ppl think they can just do what ever they want?

Now alcohol....well.....you run the risk of getting kicked off or getting it taken away, it isn't going to kill anyone....but a fire will. Makes me wonder about ppl.:confused:

so you only follow rules that make sense to you?:confused:

Once in a while, there is a truly funny post on CC, this is one of the few :)

We were just watching a show on TV about spring breakers on some island off Texas, don't remember the name. One of those with only college aged kids, all drunk, butt-dancing (this is what my 16 year old calls it) and wall to wall bodies. It makes me understand completely why some venues do not welcome those types of parties. Drunk youngsters = lots of property damage. Not to say all young adults are drunks and destructive, it only takes a few and there are always a few in these crowds.

I've never been able to find a travel iron that actually gets hot enough to burn my hand, or get out a wrinkle. I think you are worrying too much.

The only recent fires I can think of were caused by something in the kitchen (I think it was a Carnival ship) and the Princess ship (?) which after investigation, they believe it was caused by a cigarette thrown off the ship, landing on a balcony.

No fires by irons. They don't disallow curling irons or straightening irons, those are hotter than travel irons.

ps, I use none of the above.

If they took away my curling iron, I would probably be confined to my cabin for scaring small children, and the very religious who think the devil walks among us!:D

If they took away my curling iron, I would probably be confined to my cabin for scaring small children, and the very religious who think the devil walks among us!:D

Haha! My flat iron was taken away once (though I think by TSA and not the cruise line) and I feared the same thing. Almost $100 later, for a $25 flat iron if priced at home mind you, I bought one at one of the islands. Sad to say, apparently I am vain enough that it was worth it. :rolleyes:

Haha! My flat iron was taken away once (though I think by TSA and not the cruise line) and I feared the same thing. Almost $100 later, for a $25 flat iron if priced at home mind you, I bought one at one of the islands. Sad to say, apparently I am vain enough that it was worth it. :rolleyes:
It would have been easier and much cheaper to have the laundry press your clothes, they also do a better job.

It would have been easier and much cheaper to have the laundry press your clothes, they also do a better job.

By flat iron I meant the kind that straightens your hair. If the laundry service wanted to do that for me though, like women did back in the day, I suppose I could have taken them up on it ;)

Flat irons are for hair. I doubt that she could have gone to the laundry room to have her hair flat ironed. Although, could it possibly be one-half the price of the beauty salon??? :)

Interesting that you should mention your hair iron being confiscated. Every time I have my hair iron in my checked luggage, my bags get searched. I think the hair iron looks like a stun gun. When i remember to put it in my carry-on, my checked baggage is OK. Why did they take your hair iron?

Tip: You can iron the seams in your pants with a hair iron. ;)

BTW - My travel iron gets very hot!

On my 2/15 Explorer cruise, I saw them confiscating liquor that people had bought in port. They saw it in the x-ray machine as we were reentering the ship and they took it until the end of the cruise. Patty

They always do that, have always done that. Returned to you last day. It's not a smuggle and see if you get caught kind of thing. Its more we'll hold it safely for you for the rest of the cruise kind of thing! I imagine people try to smuggle it onboard in ports but all of the people I saw, knew it was a rule (fact of life) and happliy took their purchases over to the liquor check table. Learned to buy my liquor in port and not in the ships's store. On Empress, the liquor bought off ship was returned first to pax then the ship's liquor was distributed, they had called my color for disembarkation before I got my purchase. All morning the Puerto Ricans who had bought KEGS of Heineken or gallon boxes of wine (Franzia?) were getting it and leaving the ship.

I think I am going to bring a curling iron for the first time next month, for formal night. TSA wouldn't have a problem with that in my carryon, would they? I am tired of having my checked bags searched - I seem to get nailed 75% of the time!:rolleyes:

I was planning to smuggle a few miniatures in my checked bags. Today I

got my dox and was ready the booklet.....it says in no uncertain terms

no alcohol. It also says anyone caught with it in their luggage will be

denied boarding. Has it always been in black and white like that and I

never noticed? Or are they getting really serious. I'm a little bit of a

risk taker, but sure don't want to jeopardize a trans-Atlantic cruise.

It doesn't say will be but may be reinforced up to and including disembarkation.

See below from my eDocs. Just keep in small original bottles (mini preferably and you won't have a problem).

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverage onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. RoyalCaribbean's Guest Conduct Policy may be reinforced up to and including disembarkation, if the guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

in college we used to put vodka in a syringe and plunge it into an orange. We then would pile them up in a cooler filled with ice, and eat "oranges" all day. Think it would be better than hiding it in a speedo;)

Quite a few posts in this thread made me laugh. I wasn't planning on bringing alcohol on board with me until my sister mentioned the idea and we talked about it a little but after reading this thread I think I'm all set. ;)

I'm not worried about a travel iron - I don't iron unless I absolutely have to which is almost never. lol I try to buy clothes that don't wrinkle easily, and clothes that are wrinkled usually smooth out after you've worn them for an hour or two. :p :D

It also says anyone caught with it in their luggage will be

denied boarding.

The operative word in the actual phrase is "may". They have a lot of discretion in how they enforce...from how well they look to what they do about it. The wording gives them the ultimate option of denied boarding but as has been covered in other threads and polls this has only occured when there were extenuating circumstances...such as violence or other safety related issue that give them cause to keep someone off the ship.

The spring break issue....as well as many others related to passenger profile, destination, length of cruise and other factors.... has me thinking that a ship of 50+ yearolds on a near two week transatlantic, during the school year, to a colder climate would be about as lightly scrutinized as possible. People with time to cruise, at stage of life to have money to cruise (and repeat cruise) and not inclined to cause a lot of trouble....in short the people the cruiselines don't want to be too draconian with.

People who leave booze in regular bottles are bound to be caught. C'mon- you have to be a bit imaginitive here...
Just buy PLASTIC minis; they're super-cheap at your local ABC store. They're essentially the same size/shape as your travel-size toiletries, and they'll slip right through.

It doesn't say will be but may be reinforced up to and including disembarkation.
Yep, so you decide whether you're willing to take the risk of possibly losing your alcohol. Realistically -- unless you do something else to disgrace yourself -- you're not going to be kicked off the ship.

Think about it: It'd be a horrible business decision to kick you off for bringing alcohol. It means that your cabin would sail empty. Your waiters and room stewards would not be tipped. You would not buy anything from the ship stores, you would not take part in ship's excursions -- they would lose money!

AND you'd leave very disgruntled. They don't need that bad press.

No, unless you act like a jerk, threaten someone or otherwise behave badly while they're taking it, you're not going to be kicked off. If you get caught, just say you were under the impression that no one cares about a small amount (which is really true), and accept it gracefully; you'll get your alcohol back anyway.

Archived