Things Cruise Lines don't do well . . .

balanceok

Typical San Francisco: Take away the "many Americans" and the cruise industry would collapse. 57% of all staterooms worldwide are filled by Americans. How long would these ships continue to sail if they were half full? They need to "learn" to cater to us.

Why? Why vacation on a cruise or in another country if you expect everything to be as you left it at home? Why complain that the tour guide didn't speak perfect English? Why run back to the ship for an "American" lunch? Why complain about the poverty level living conditions in other countries? If you can't adapt and take in the "flavor" of a different place, then you really need to stay home.

Cruise lines should put a little more effort into their weekly cruise DVD videos they create and sell. They need to make the video more cruise specific instead of using so much stock footage. They need to figure out a way to make passengers want to remember their cruise experience with quality video.

Why? Why vacation on a cruise or in another country if you expect everything to be as you left it at home? Why complain that the tour guide didn't speak perfect English? Why run back to the ship for an "American" lunch? Why complain about the poverty level living conditions in other countries? If you can't adapt and take in the "flavor" of a different place, then you really need to stay home.

Ethel5,

I SO agree with you. I enjoy traveling and visited many countries, and in every single trip you can always witness a “mighty American” moment; why waiters in a small Parisian bistro do not speak English, why I cannot enter Vatican wearing shirts, why everything is so slow in any southern country, why I cannot have dinner in Madrid before 9pm…. and a dozen of other “issues” many Americans have. I am not trying to start a war here. It is very unfortunate, but the most of “cultural clashes” I witnessed always involved Americans. There is a felling of entitlement that people should do things for us because we are Americans(“they should cater to us”). Why???? You are in their country, be respectful of their customs and traditions or stay home and enjoy your culture and traditions.

[quote name='rc51']Does anyone else find that the drinks (mixed drinks) are overly sugar laden?

I wish they'd put a separate menu for 'real' drinks that don't use sugared up mixes. I'd rather just have plain (real) lime juice in my marg, not some kind of orange mix...but maybe people prefer them this way.[/quote]

Sweet drinks are known to make you "thirstier"... this way they sell MORE.

[quote name='Druke I']Shotguns were used for skeet shooting, not rifles.

I've had some great soft chewable cookies on board. I guess it depends on the Pastry Chef.

Royal Cruise Line (now long gone) used to have wonderful hot fresh cinamon rolls in the morning.

I've had some very good popcorn on HAL ships, fresh popped just before the movie.[/quote]

This reminds me.....I've done two Windjammer cruises in the past, and every morning around 5:30 a.m., freshly baked goods and pitchers of juice and Bloody Mary's would appear on the bar for the early risers. It was lovely getting up to watch the sun rise, and I can't remember anything I liked better than their freshly made doughnuts! Yum! :)

Thanks Toto2Kansas and PescadoAmarillo for your comments to my comment on the juice/soda issue. Your thought process is logical and one that I can relate to.

As for those of you who say if you don't like it "stay home" - everyone is entitled to voice their opinion about what they would like to see on cruises.

[quote name='suntan']
As for those of you who say if you don't like it "stay home" - everyone is entitled to voice their opinion about what they would like to see on cruises.[/QUOTE]

Voicing an opinion on what one would like to see cruise lines do better is one thing and an interesting thread, expecting them to "CATER" to Americans is quite another! That's what I was addressing and, as you said, I am entitled to my opinion.

Archived