Things Cruise Lines don't do well . . .

balanceok

I'm confused!?! With the wide variety of wonderful food choices available on a cruise why would you even want a cheeseburger!?!:rolleyes:

If you're on a cruise over seven days, after all the frou-frou food, sometimes a good old cheesburger is the perfect choice for a change of pace!!

If you're on a cruise over seven days, after all the frou-frou food, sometimes a good old cheesburger is the perfect choice for a change of pace!!

Very, very true. And if you return to the ship after a day playing in the ocean, salty and sweaty and starving, there is nothing that tastes better than a cheeseburger poolside. I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz Fifty-seven and French fried potatoes.

You've got to have at least one cheeseburger in paradise. :D

Very, very true. And if you return to the ship after a day playing in the ocean, salty and sweaty and starving, there is nothing that tastes better than a cheeseburger poolside. I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz Fifty-seven and French fried potatoes.

You've got to have at least one cheeseburger in paradise. :D

I shoot for at least one cheeseburger per paradise(port). haha

I'm confused!?! With the wide variety of wonderful food choices available on a cruise why would you even want a cheeseburger!?!:rolleyes:

I'll take a decent cheeseburger over a so-so steak and reheated dry twice baked potato any day!

---Like many Americans you seem to have trouble adjusting to things that are not exactly like what you have at home. Might it be easier for you to just stay home and watch the videos instead? You could save a lot of money that way - and the popcorn would taste just the way you like it.

Proud to be posting my first post!

Not proud to have to make it negative - what a loser thing to say. :rolleyes:

I enjoy posts like this... I think they can be fun and informative.

I've only been on a few cruises but what I noted:

1. Smoking seemed to create the biggest problem for us. Some cruiselines seem to do better than others. Last week we got stuck in a cabin (Crown Princess) that smelled horribly like smoke, and non-smoking public areas did as well. (many others mentioned the same) What a huge bummer for those us wanting clean air to breathe.

2. Saw the camping problem discussed earlier. I saw some fellow cruisers helping each other out by simply taking over chairs that had stuff sitting on them for too long.

3. Patio doors that slam open and shut (when not locked shut - i.e. you are out on the patio)... need better magnets in those things.

4. I echo the popcorn thing - even with the Princess "old tired movies under the stars" it was bad.

5. Beer selection. Some of us like a decent beer as well as a good wine. Thank goodness one can typically bring that on board.

Thats all.

Just one question: Is anything Princess prepares for food fall short of what you make at home????

Ron

Proud to be posting my first post!

Not proud to have to make it negative - what a loser thing to say. :rolleyes:

I enjoy posts like this... I think they can be fun and informative.

I've only been on a few cruises but what I noted:

1. Smoking seemed to create the biggest problem for us. Some cruiselines seem to do better than others. Last week we got stuck in a cabin (Crown Princess) that smelled horribly like smoke, and non-smoking public areas did as well. (many others mentioned the same) What a huge bummer for those us wanting clean air to breathe.

2. Saw the camping problem discussed earlier. I saw some fellow cruisers helping each other out by simply taking over chairs that had stuff sitting on them for too long.

3. Patio doors that slam open and shut (when not locked shut - i.e. you are out on the patio)... need better magnets in those things.

4. I echo the popcorn thing - even with the Princess "old tired movies under the stars" it was bad.

5. Beer selection. Some of us like a decent beer as well as a good wine. Thank goodness one can typically bring that on board.

Thats all.

We would often get a chicken sandwich at the grill, while getting a hot dog for the girl. She absolutely loved the pizza on the Island Princess.

About the stench in the cabin from tobacco, get your cabin steward on that. We're very sensitive to it and haven't noticed any such smell in our cabins. On the other hand, there was a hotel in Miami that we booked a non-smoking room, and they gave us a room on the smoking floor. We stomped back to the front desk and they gave us a room on a non-smoking floor, but it absolutely reeked of cigar smell (growing up with a cigar smoking father, I knew the smell :mad: ). They offered to spray it, but we demanded another room.

As for the quality of food, just the fact that someone else is cooking, makes it all the better.

About the stench in the cabin from tobacco' date=' get your cabin steward on that. We're very sensitive to it and haven't noticed any such smell in our cabins. On the other hand, there was a hotel in Miami that we booked a non-smoking room, and they gave us a room on the smoking floor. We stomped back to the front desk and they gave us a room on a non-smoking floor, but it absolutely reeked of cigar smell (growing up with a cigar smoking father, I knew the smell :mad: ). They offered to spray it, but we demanded another room.[/quote']

I'm always kind of surprised at how inconsiderate some people can be...My fiance smokes, but he would never smoke in a hotel room, a cruise cabin, our home or our cars. He goes outside always.

I think the drinks leave a lot to be desired on any ship, any cruise line. They are very watered down. The overall taste is great. I have never had one that I didn't like the taste of.

I own liquor stores and I have spied some of the bottles and know that they are diluted versions. Lots of liquor companies make 2 versions of liquor. Ones we in the industry call high proof and the low-proof diluted type. Lots of brands have an almost identical label so unless you actually are reading the label close up you would never know it is the lower proof. The low proof is sooooo much cheaper too. DUH Maybe thats why I have never felt a buzz on a cruise ship even after several drinks in a short amount of time.

Not crazy about the wine selections either. They serve mostly what we refer to as grocery store wine. I understand they have to because of the volume across the whole cruise line. A steady consistant supply must be available. There a re some fantastic budget priced wines out there but the wineries dont produce enough to supply a cruise line. Too bad each ship cant choose their own wines. So I dont order a lot of wine on a cruise. I can live without it until I get home.

Mostly I have learned to order a call drink. Thats one that they put a specific brand of liquor in your drink. Unfortunately they cost a lot more. Knowing the liquors that are NOT made in low proof helps.

I also dont like cold toast. Other than that I have sent dinners back and asked for something else when I didnt like my first selection.

I would love to see bigger libraries on the ships with a larger selection of books and magazines. Also, how about staffing the library with a real librarian instead of a dancer/other entertainer from the shows? I'd volunteer! :D
The Royal has a wonderful library with a huge selection of books. It also has a lot of chairs and settees to sit in and enjoy your books and the view. It's a deck above the pool and the library is the entire width overlooking the pool plus it wraps around on both sides all the way to the outside door. Like a good-sized, elegant lounge.

Just one question: Is anything Princess prepares for food fall short of what you make at home????

Ron

I do a better job (IMNSHO) on some of recipes out of the Princess cookbook than can be done on the ship. The big difference, of course, is that I'm not trying to serve over a thousand people at one sitting. And I use better ingredients - prime beef in my tenderloin, fresh gulf shrimp instead of farm-raised Malaysian varieties, that sort of thing.

I'd like to see an occasional Mexican dish on the menu. I've simply never seen one in the dining room. I know they've done the tacos or burritos poolside or in the buffet on occassion, but I've never seen one on the menu. I would think that Mexican food would have broad appeal. I've always been amazed there is never anything like that on a Mexican Riviera cruise!:cool:

I'd like to see an occasional Mexican dish on the menu. I've simply never seen one in the dining room. I know they've done the tacos or burritos poolside or in the buffet on occassion, but I've never seen one on the menu. I would think that Mexican food would have broad appeal. I've always been amazed there is never anything like that on a Mexican Riviera cruise!:cool:

Good point. Our favorite meal on the recent Caribbean Princess cruise was Mexican Night in their buffet. It beat anything else they served on the entire cruise. Then again, I could eat Mexican food all day, every day.

RCI had a great Mexican snack late afternoons in their buffet. It was excellent and unfortunately spoiled my appetite for dinner. I didn't complain though.

:D

Au contraire! 12 Celebrity cruises, 11 Princess cruises and I can tell you that Celebrity has by far the best and most beef entrée options of the two (and better than RC and NCL too).

I am happy that you enjoy Celebrity's beef we haven't, we have found that it is one their only short commings. We enjoy good beef and candidly have found Celebrity's to be tasteless and tough.

Good point. Our favorite meal on the recent Caribbean Princess cruise was Mexican Night in their buffet. It beat anything else they served on the entire cruise. Then again, I could eat Mexican food all day, every day.

:D

Hey what's on the Mexican Buffet?

What I would like to see on the menus on cruise ships are more pasta dishes being offered and I would love to see stirfrys included. On the cruise I just returned on I ate more beef than I eat at home.

Also, I would love to see cruiselines stop nickel and diming their passengers. My mom ordered a glass (medium size) cranberry juice on the Emerald Princess and paid $3.00!! I bought a whole bottle of cranberry juice at the store the other day and paid $2.79 I would like to see the base price of the cruise increased to include all pop and juices.

Also, I would love to see cruiselines stop nickel and diming their passengers. My mom ordered a glass (medium size) cranberry juice on the Emerald Princess and paid $3.00!! I bought a whole bottle of cranberry juice at the store the other day and paid $2.79 I would like to see the base price of the cruise increased to include all pop and juices.

I couldn't agree more, it is rather insulting when its all but free at a fast food hamburger joint.

I also do not like being nickle and dimed, but do you realize if they stop this practice, cruise prices will climb so drastically, it will scare you half to death? Most don't believe it but the price of a cruise now is even less, in most cases, then it was 20 years ago. Inflation has hit everything we purchase, but cruise pricing has stayed reasonable. I would rather pay a little more for items I need then to pay the extra for the cruise for things I don't want, don't need and will not ever use.

I think that the reason mainstream cruise lines don't include soda and more juice options in the cruise price is not the cost of these items, but that they would discourage the purchase of on board alcoholic drinks. People might opt for a soda instead of a beer if they were thirsty and the former was free.

---Like many Americans you seem to have trouble adjusting to things that are not exactly like what you have at home. Might it be easier for you to just stay home and watch the videos instead? You could save a lot of money that way - and the popcorn would taste just the way you like it.

Typical San Francisco: Take away the "many Americans" and the cruise industry would collapse. 57% of all staterooms worldwide are filled by Americans. How long would these ships continue to sail if they were half full? They need to "learn" to cater to us.

Consider this a cordial invitation to return to wherever your homeland is located. Just think what a stress relief it will be not to have to worry about us Americans and how we think and act! It could add years to your life.

Let us know the details about your departure so that we may come down to the airport and wave farewell with fondness.;)

Archived