Transatlantic Cruises

SusieV

Looking at doing our first TransAtlantic......a few questions.

1. What is the best time to sail? We are looking at late April early May on the Solstice.

2. What type of cabin.....aft...midship..forward..port or starboard?

3. How rough are the seas?

4. What is the weather like in the Med. in late April?

Thanks for the help

I, too, did a phantom search for airfare based on the dates for 2008 and came up with similar pricing. However, if you put in a RT fare, it's much less expensive. I found pricing in the $700 range nonstop JFK to Rome. I would just not use the return ticket.

Jo-Ann

From JFK, you might be interested in a new offering direct to Rome with http://www.euroflyusa.com JFK to Italy seem to be their only routes. Also, for good prices (often) on one-ways, have a look at http://www.bt-store.com I know several people that have used them and been happy with the site.

Hi Teresa

1. Eastbounds are always Spring and wesbounds tend to be Autumn (Fall) or even winter, which is why my westbound t/a is going to be in September hoping this will mean better weather but late April early May is fine.

2. I always book midships but I know a lot of people swear by the aft cabins so I may try one next time.

3. Obviously that can vary - who knows? On my last t/a last April we had a very smooth crossing.

4. Again can vary but May is usually a lovely month in the Med - temperatures around 70+ - I have been twice in late April/May and had great weather both times. An earlier trip in early/mid April saw a lot of rain:(

You will have a fabulous time - as you can see from my countdowns I LOVE transatlantic crossings - all those lovely relaxing sea days.:D

Pat

Hi Teresa

1. Eastbounds are always Spring and wesbounds tend to be Autumn (Fall) or even winter, which is why my westbound t/a is going to be in September hoping this will mean better weather but late April early May is fine.

2. I always book midships but I know a lot of people swear by the aft cabins so I may try one next time.

3. Obviously that can vary - who knows? On my last t/a last April we had a very smooth crossing.

4. Again can vary but May is usually a lovely month in the Med - temperatures around 70+ - I have been twice in late April/May and had great weather both times. An earlier trip in early/mid April saw a lot of rain:(

You will have a fabulous time - as you can see from my countdowns I LOVE transatlantic crossings - all those lovely relaxing sea days.:D

Pat

Thank you.......hope to be booking as soon as the TA gets back to me.:D

Looking at doing our first TransAtlantic......a few questions.

1. What is the best time to sail? We are looking at late April early May on the Solstice.

2. What type of cabin.....aft...midship..forward..port or starboard?

3. How rough are the seas?

4. What is the weather like in the Med. in late April?

Thanks for the help

Hi - We were on a T/A in early May and it was spectacular - weather, seas, etc. You will lose 1 hour almost every night of your crossing, so early mornings will come sooner but when you arrive in Europe you will have gently adjusted to the time change.

If you want a sunny window or balcony, book a starboard side of the ship. If you want a shady side, book the port side. We were in an aft cabin and adored it. Some folks prefer to be closer to the elevator, theater, etc.

The later the crossing, the warmer, usually, the weather. Personally, I'd go anytime of the year and enjoy it even in blinding snow! These trips provide the ultimate in relaxation - I read 4 books on that trip, attended all the lectures, cooking classes, went to the gym most every day and danced with my husband every night 'till we were blind.

Have a great trip.

Mary Anne

Hi - We were on a T/A in early May and it was spectacular - weather, seas, etc. You will lose 1 hour almost every night of your crossing, so early mornings will come sooner but when you arrive in Europe you will have gently adjusted to the time change.

If you want a sunny window or balcony, book a starboard side of the ship. If you want a shady side, book the port side. We were in an aft cabin and adored it. Some folks prefer to be closer to the elevator, theater, etc.

The later the crossing, the warmer, usually, the weather. Personally, I'd go anytime of the year and enjoy it even in blinding snow! These trips provide the ultimate in relaxation - I read 4 books on that trip, attended all the lectures, cooking classes, went to the gym most every day and danced with my husband every night 'till we were blind.

Have a great trip.

Mary Anne

Mary Anne,

Nicely said. We are taking our first TA April 11th on the Connie and we are in 7202-very excited. I can't wait for the relaxing sea days and hope for warmer weather, but will just bundle up if it is cooler. I am thinking about doing a westbound one in 09. Thanks again for the well written response.

Walter

Hi stinsowm, we are hoping X will repeat the cruise you're on next spring. Please write a report when you return. We found this cruise after we'd already made plans for '08, so will have to postpone until '09. I contacted X asking if they would have that cruise next spring, and the reply was to wait until they posted their schedule and then we'd know. It should be out in April or May. I studied all the crossings that were available this spring, and thought that this one had the most ports that we were interested in and then ends in GR B. where we'd like to stay on for an add'l week. Have also become aware of AirBerlin which has very good rates for one way travel back to FL.

Will look forward to your report.:)

You are correct - but yeowch - $845 including taxes for a RT and almost $2100 for OW. (delta)

Going to be interesting to see what Cruise Air from Celebrity will run

I got a price for air from Celebrity (Philly to Rome) for $879 plus $56.48 taxes. I don't like that I'd have no control over whether or not this is a non-stop, time of day, etc. I know I can do an air deviation, but then I'm charged for the difference in fare. I'm quite sure I can do better on my own. Of course, this did include air back from Ft. Lauderdale to PHL, but I have enough points with Spirit Airlines to do free air from Ft. Lauderdale right to Atlantic City, which is much closer to my home (20 minutes) than PHL.

Have a great trip.

Mary Anne

Thank you for the advice...looks like we are going to be booking the Solstice for April 19, 2009 TA .....first Celebrity cruise:D.

I got a price for air from Celebrity (Philly to Rome) for $879 plus $56.48 taxes. I don't like that I'd have no control over whether or not this is a non-stop, time of day, etc. I know I can do an air deviation, but then I'm charged for the difference in fare. I'm quite sure I can do better on my own. Of course, this did include air back from Ft. Lauderdale to PHL, but I have enough points with Spirit Airlines to do free air from Ft. Lauderdale right to Atlantic City, which is much closer to my home (20 minutes) than PHL.

MY TA quoted 985.73 - JFK - FCO and FLL- LGA but since this is almost 18 months away - you couldn't book it. We have free air deviation as we are Elite - TA doesn't think we would be charged the difference. The delta non stop would get is around 7:30AM and since we would be going in a day early we would get a full day + in Rome. If we book one night pre-cruise with cruise air - transfers from FCO to the City and Rome to the ship would be included - THAT in itself might be worth it. I was quoted 130 euros for a van for 4 people but thats for this November.

MY TA quoted 985.73 - JFK - FCO and FLL- LGA but since this is almost 18 months away - you couldn't book it. We have free air deviation as we are Elite - TA doesn't think we would be charged the difference. The delta non stop would get is around 7:30AM and since we would be going in a day early we would get a full day + in Rome. If we book one night pre-cruise with cruise air - transfers from FCO to the City and Rome to the ship would be included - THAT in itself might be worth it. I was quoted 130 euros for a van for 4 people but thats for this November.

I was told that being Elite (which we are) only allows you to waive the air deviation fee, not the difference in airfare. Rest assured, most cruiselines put you on the least expensive flights (i.e., stops, less than desirable time schedule, etc.). The difference in cost to get the flights I want (non-stop, evening flight from PHL to ROM) would probably be cost prohibitive.

Are you saying that if you book your air through Celebrity, you get a precruise hotel and transfers thrown in?

Jo-Ann

(Hi Jo-Ann)...

We are also on the Equinox TA in Nov.09. As far as I can determine X has not released the pre cruise hotel selection.

We did book air through X, and will most likely book a 2 night stay at their hotel in Rome. I checked some airlines and the price that we in Kansas City are being charged is really very good. I also will do the air deviation if possible.

Our experience with a previous TA (from London/Dover) was very good. The transfers alone were worth the extra price that many think is charged for a hotel booked through the cruiseline. Everything went very smoothly from the London hotel to the port of Dover. We pay extra for convenience and less stress.

I am not familiar with the port that is used for the Rome voyage, Civitevecchia (sp?) but the 140 Euro charge for a van has me thinking it is not very close to Rome.

Lots to think about in the next year+.....

(Hi Jo-Ann)...

We are also on the Equinox TA in Nov.09. As far as I can determine X has not released the pre cruise hotel selection.

We did book air through X, and will most likely book a 2 night stay at their hotel in Rome. I checked some airlines and the price that we in Kansas City are being charged is really very good. I also will do the air deviation if possible.

Our experience with a previous TA (from London/Dover) was very good. The transfers alone were worth the extra price that many think is charged for a hotel booked through the cruiseline. Everything went very smoothly from the London hotel to the port of Dover. We pay extra for convenience and less stress.

I am not familiar with the port that is used for the Rome voyage, Civitevecchia (sp?) but the 140 Euro charge for a van has me thinking it is not very close to Rome.

Lots to think about in the next year+.....

Grace, I agree that there's value in convenience. The problem I have with booking the air with Celebrity is, by doing air deviation, our air costs could conceivably skyrocket since we'll be charged the difference in airfare from a flight they would select for us. How are you able to compare at this point since you don't know what type of flights they will be putting you on? What if the flight is an inconvenient time and has several stops, changovers, etc.? I prefer an evening (so I can sleep on the plane) flight with no stops. For a non-stop PHL or JFK to Rome, it could cause our air price to really be much more than I can get on my own. Of course, living not far from major airports makes it more likely that I can find air to suit my preferences for less money. I can see where being in the midwest, your choices may be limited anyway. I most likely will book the hotel through Celebrity so we can get the transfer to the ship. Obviously we won't need a transfer after the cruise since we'll just have to get to FLL, which is minutes away.

Jo-Ann, when we did the air deviation a few times with X we had no problem getting the flight we wanted and did not pay an extra fee.

I just searched for the flights that I wanted (ie non stop direct) and told them to the guy at the Air dept.

I hope it is easy this time....if not, I can always cancel with X and book my own, and get hotel like you are doing....

I did check with a taxi company in Rome and they charge 40 E from airport to Rome, and 140 from hotel in Rome to port. So...maybe staying in a convent will be the way we will go!:D (40 E pp per night incl. breakfast).

Now, I have to brush up on my Italian...all I can remember is "dove" !

I was told that being Elite (which we are) only allows you to waive the air deviation fee, not the difference in airfare. Rest assured, most cruiselines put you on the least expensive flights (i.e., stops, less than desirable time schedule, etc.). The difference in cost to get the flights I want (non-stop, evening flight from PHL to ROM) would probably be cost prohibitive.

Are you saying that if you book your air through Celebrity, you get a precruise hotel and transfers thrown in?

Jo-Ann

We do get transfers thrown in. Actually the price for a Non Stop is not all that bad

We talked it over and did book the Celebrity promo air and the two nights' hotel. The hotel rate is hard to stomach but I think with the convenience of the transfers (I didn't realize they were worth that much, Grace!), it's probably worth it. I hope we get decent flights because we are not permitted deviations with this air promotion (we would also qualify for waived Custom air fee even though we are not Elite).

I will still be looking for a better rate but I really doubt that I'll be able to find one. I paid nearly $700 to go from Toronto to San Juan roundtrip last year, let alone an open jaw flight to Rome!

I just really hope they keep us in the Star Alliance family. Dan and I are Elite with them and I like the lounge and the extra perks about baggage. I also wish that we could get our flight info before final payment so we'd know how many stops we're looking at, but I am under the impression that this may not be possible?

Jo-Ann, when we did the air deviation a few times with X we had no problem getting the flight we wanted and did not pay an extra fee.

I just searched for the flights that I wanted (ie non stop direct) and told them to the guy at the Air dept.

I hope it is easy this time....if not, I can always cancel with X and book my own, and get hotel like you are doing....

I did check with a taxi company in Rome and they charge 40 E from airport to Rome, and 140 from hotel in Rome to port. So...maybe staying in a convent will be the way we will go!:D (40 E pp per night incl. breakfast).

Now, I have to brush up on my Italian...all I can remember is "dove" !

Grace, that's good to hear. If Celebrity doesn't charge for the difference in the fare, then I would probably go with their air. We plan to fly out of PHL on Monday evening. That would give us Tuesday to adjust to time difference, and then we plan to tour on Wednesday. Then Thursday we board.

I guess it might be prudent to book air with Celebrity and as you said, we can always cancel if we find something significantly less expensive. Do they still provide transfers to your hotel and hotel to ship if you come in a few days early? (assuming I book a hotel through Celebrity as well).

Jo-Ann

We are Elite CC memebers & tried to do air deviation on our upcoming Galaxy TA & X wanted $648 EACH. We have, in the past done air deviation without charge, but this time the were not very cooperative!

We are Elite CC memebers & tried to do air deviation on our upcoming Galaxy TA & X wanted $648 EACH. We have, in the past done air deviation without charge, but this time the were not very cooperative!

Was that over and above the original air price you had been quoted? If so, that's why I'm hesitant. My understanding is that you have to pay the difference, and I'm quite sure I can book a RT and just not use the other half of the ticket.

Jo-Ann

The excess charges for air deviation ($648 each) are really not right! That makes airfare practically first class pricing.

For our TA air fare we are being charged $999 each for the complete package, (Kansas City to Rome and Fll to Kansas City) RT from Kansas City. In checking the fares for this year in Nov. the one way fare for same is close to $1200 each, and adding in the extra fare from FLL to MCI would be another $250. pp.

As the time gets closer for our trip (like 18 months away) I wonder if X can tell us which airlines they have purchased space on?

I do not want to pre purchase any air that is not refundable either, so right now the air from X is added into my cruise fare. At least I can cancel it.

Once, I did not opt for the air from X until it was too late, and air was sold out.

The excess charges for air deviation ($648 each) are really not right! That makes airfare practically first class pricing.

For our TA air fare we are being charged $999 each for the complete package, (Kansas City to Rome and Fll to Kansas City) RT from Kansas City. In checking the fares for this year in Nov. the one way fare for same is close to $1200 each, and adding in the extra fare from FLL to MCI would be another $250. pp.

As the time gets closer for our trip (like 18 months away) I wonder if X can tell us which airlines they have purchased space on?

I do not want to pre purchase any air that is not refundable either, so right now the air from X is added into my cruise fare. At least I can cancel it.

Once, I did not opt for the air from X until it was too late, and air was sold out.

Grace, my experience (not with Celebrity) with cruise air is that if you purchase from them, you are at their mercy for whatever flights they put you on. Since we live in the Northeast, flights are readily available from any of the Tri-State area airports, so it's not that big a deal for us to book on our own. The bad experience I had was one time (when we were newbies) we booked our air through Royal Caribbean (because our TA at the time told us that they will ALWAYS hold the ship for you if the flight is late...WRONG). We wanted Philadelphia to Ft. Lauderdale (or Miami). They put us on flights that had long layovers in Cleveland (both ways). On the flight down, we barely made it to the cruise (landed at 2 p.m. and had to get from FLL to Miami). When I asked Royal Caribbean if they could switch us to a non-stop (since there were plenty of them from Philadelphia) before we left on the cruise, they said sure, for a $35 pp air deviation fee. I said okay. Then they told me I'd also be responsible to pay the difference in airfare from what Royal Caribbean had originally charged me, which wasn't cheap to begin with ($249 pp). We said forget it. I only booked through RCI to begin with because our TA advised us that's the best way to go. We never used that TA again!

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann...The more I hear about horror stories re X air, I am now convinced to try and figure out our own air.

I went to Airatalia web site and they do offer sales, so I will keep checking with them as well.

United, Continental and American all seem to have flights out of Newark, (your area...lucky you!) and I could not find anything from Delta.

I guess I will keep checking various airline sites, and also hope we can get some good info on the Equinox web site re flights.

Just reading about the connections on flights made me tired.

I did not take the air from X on our Alaska trip, and did ok on my own.

Thanks for your advice and info..

Archived