What a Shame! Casual Dress in Ocean Liners.

jasm8449

Lack of consideration of your fellow passengers is the issue here - whether you think you look good in your jeans is entirely your opinion and has nothing to do with the dress code. You need to wake up to the fact there are other passengers on the ship that have certain expectations based on published guidelines and you are ignoring all of them :rolleyes: .

I think a fair number of cruises really don't care what any of us think.

A cruise is a one shot deal for a lot of folks. They feel they will never see any of us again.

And the cruise line is turning away cruises becaus you or I don't approve of them.

No matter what line you cruise.

I think there are three different reasons why dress codes aren't always enforced on a cruise.

One is that the crew doesn't want to risk creating a scene, because that would have a much greater negative impact on passengers than sharing the dining room with people who are not following the dress code.

Another is that the crew doesn't want to risk getting bad tips or having negative comments on the cruise evaluation forms because that would affect their livelihood.

The other reason is more subtle. Since it is now acceptable to wear nice casual clothes at most upscale land based restaurants, as well as on luxury cruise lines, Celebrity may have mixed feelings about the tradition of formal night. On one hand they want to keep that tradition for their passengers who enjoy it, but they also realize that an increasing number of passengers who observe it do so merely to follow the rules, but would prefer to dress in more casual attire. By keeping the tradition , but not doing anything about people who don't observe it, unless they are dressed like slobs, is probably their way of dealing with that dilemma.

Of course this is just my humble opinion, and I might be wrong.

Oh!!!! If I don't dress according to "your" rules I am not considerate to my fellow passengers. Well, guess what, when I am on the Soltice Jan. 25. I am going to wear what I want to wear, not What any of the "stuffed shirts" want and expect me to wear!!!!!!!! I dress for me. I will wear my tux on the formal nites, but the other nites, I dress down!!!!!!

This is what is says in the Princess publication entitled “Cruise Answer Book” regrettably I don’t have a copy of Celebrity’s handy:

“When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.”

I have looked everywhere and I don’t see anything to the effect that it is ok to wear pressed designer jeans or anything else you feel good in. Their statement is polite anticipating that their passengers have the ability to read and the decency to observe such a policy. To turn up in jeans, pressed or otherwise, is a demonstration of poor manners and a deliberate and selfish attempt to erode the enjoyment of their fellow passengers for their own well being. In other words an attempt to bring everyone down to their level. If you can’t follow the guidelines then don’t cruise or cruise with a line that does not have dress codes.

Oh!!!! If I don't dress according to "your" rules I am not considerate to my fellow passengers. Well, guess what, when I am on the Soltice Jan. 25. I am going to wear what I want to wear, not What any of the "stuffed shirts" want and expect me to wear!!!!!!!! I dress for me. I will wear my tux on the formal nites, but the other nites, I dress down!!!!!!

These are not "our" rules. They are highly recommended dress codes by the cruise line. We get your point without shouting with 18 exclamation points. Who cares what you wear.

C'mon host, 130 replies, time to shut this rediculous thread down. It has been beaten to death adnauseum.

This is what is says in the Princess publication entitled “Cruise Answer Book” regrettably I don’t have a copy of Celebrity’s handy:

“When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.”

I have looked everywhere and I don’t see anything to the effect that it is ok to wear pressed designer jeans or anything else you feel good in. Their statement is polite anticipating that their passengers have the ability to read and the decency to observe such a policy. To turn up in jeans, pressed or otherwise, is a demonstration of poor manners and a deliberate and selfish attempt to erode the enjoyment of their fellow passengers for their own well being. In other words an attempt to bring everyone down to their level. If you can’t follow the guidelines then don’t cruise or cruise with a line that does not have dress codes.

For those who always insist on doing what they want, at anytime they want, in any clothes they choose, there are plenty of Carnival or NCL ships that are just waiting for you to do precisely that. So at least be considerate in one way to your fellow passengers and sail on those vessels.

For those who always insist on doing what they want, at anytime they want, in any clothes they choose, there are plenty of Carnival or NCL ships that are just waiting for you to do precisely that. So at least be considerate in one way to your fellow passengers and sail on those vessels.

Carnival has traditional dining and a dress code that includes formal nights (although their definition for what constitutes acceptable "formal" attire is somewhat looser than Celebrity's). It is simply WRONG to suggest that somebody who wants to eat any time in any clothes would belong on Carnival. Many of the folks on Carnival ALSO want to preserve the ambience of their formal nights...

Some pax just seem to need more than a gentle suggestion about the dress codes.

How about this:

"Casual attire--- something dressier than one would wear to attend a Monster Truck Event or a WWE Friday Night Smackdown."

Carnival has traditional dining and a dress code that includes formal nights (although their definition for what constitutes acceptable "formal" attire is somewhat looser than Celebrity's). It is simply WRONG to suggest that somebody who wants to eat any time in any clothes would belong on Carnival. Many of the folks on Carnival ALSO want to preserve the ambience of their formal nights...

Didn't intend to incorrectly classify Carnival. My point was there are other 'freestyle' cruise lines where you can be totally you all the time and no one cares - and people who feel that strongly about not being part of the group are encouraged to travel with those other cruise lines.

Come on now. If I wear slacks, a sport coat and an open collar shirt, is that going to ruin anyones evening, or for that matter their entire cruise. I don't think so. This is a tired topic.

Come on now. If I wear slacks, a sport coat and an open collar shirt, is that going to ruin anyones evening, or for that matter their entire cruise. I don't think so. This is a tired topic.

Won’t bother me but I guess you are saying that the “Required Dress” doesn’t apply to you regardless of how anyone else feels.:rolleyes:

Do you run red lights or evade taxes? Those are rules to. Or do you just obey the rules you like and the others you ignore? Yes, quite frankly if my fellow passengers and I get dressed up in nice dresses, suits and or tuxs and you show up in a jacket and an open neck shirt it does anoy me and many of the others who have made an effort to obey the rules.

Didn't intend to incorrectly classify Carnival. My point was there are other 'freestyle' cruise lines where you can be totally you all the time and no one cares - and people who feel that strongly about not being part of the group are encouraged to travel with those other cruise lines.

Encouraged by whom? certainly not the cruise line. I'm 100% sure you give celebrity the choice of A: I'm going to wear slacks and an open neck shirt with jacket to formal night or B: I'm going to cruise Oceania, they'll pick A every single time.

Do you run red lights or evade taxes? Those are rules to. Or do you just obey the rules you like and the others you ignore? Yes, quite frankly if my fellow passengers and I get dressed up in nice dresses, suits and or tuxs and you show up in a jacket and an open neck shirt it does anoy me and many of the others who have made an effort to obey the rules.

Running a red light and evading taxes compared to following a "suggested" dress code? WOW!!!

Maybe it's not enforced because per Celebrity "our dress code are recommendations and not requirements." At least that's the answer I got when I e-mailed them.

Judy

That's interesting since the Celebrity Today asks that guests follow the suggested dress code to suit the ambiance of the cruise. It further asks that men not remove their jackets at dinner.

Not to mention that it is good manners to follow the host's recommendation. If you were invited to a dinner party and the recommended attire was black tie, would you wear a sport coat because they didn't use the word "required", or would you dress in the spirit of your host's invitation?

That's interesting since the Celebrity Today asks that guests follow the suggested dress code to suit the ambiance of the cruise. It further asks that men not remove their jackets at dinner.

Not to mention that it is good manners to follow the host's recommendation. If you were invited to a dinner party and the recommended attire was black tie, would you wear a sport coat because they didn't use the word "required", or would you dress in the spirit of your host's invitation?

If they're my host why does it cost me so much to cruise? They are a service provider, not a host.

Or do you just obey the rules you like and the others you ignore?

It would be interesting to take a poll of just how many of those people who are adamant that everybody follow the dress code rules flaunt the rules of not bringing alcohol on board other than the allowed two bottles of wine.

I would hazard a guess that the results would be very enlightening and that we could throw the whole because its the rule argument away.

I think some of the analogies on this thread for not adhering completely to the dress code for formal night are somewhat extreme, but I think this one is very appropriate.

If you received a discount coupon from Celebrity's Captain Club a month after you booked a cruise, would you throw it away since it is only good for new reservations or submit it to Celebrity in case they decide to make an exception for you?

Running a red light and evading taxes compared to following a "suggested" dress code? WOW!!!

And what part of the following do you not understand?

Perhaps it is the "Please" part!

There is nowhere that I have seen it written "Cruise Junky, because we are so happy to have you aboard and knowing that you do not like dressing for our formal dinners, you are quite at liberty to ignore our request and show up in whatever you please." When you find such a statement, please let us know.

It was just a suggestion as to why they aren't enforcing a dress code in the dining room. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong.

Judy

And what part of the following do you not understand?

Perhaps it is the "Please" part!

There is nowhere that I have seen it written "Cruise Junky, because we are so happy to have you aboard and knowing that you do not like dressing for our formal dinners, you are quite at liberty to ignore our request and show up in whatever you please." When you find such a statement, please let us know.

Are you finished ranting? For what it's worth, I do follow the dress code, always have. But don't start comparing it to running red lights and evading taxes, that's just stupid and really brings the conversation down to a ranting child's level.

I guess it never occurred to anyone that the people you all love to bash don't really care what you or I think about how they dress.

I'll bet most people who cruise don't care one bit how a few folks on Cruise Critic feel about anything.

A good rule of thumb is to worry about how you dress and how well you follow all the rules. If everyone did that then all your problems go away.

This seems to cut both ways.

If you don't like how people dress on X then choose another line.

Are you finished ranting? For what it's worth, I do follow the dress code, always have. But don't start comparing it to running red lights and evading taxes, that's just stupid and really brings the conversation down to a ranting child's level.

Oh I see, none of your remarks have been rants or inflammatory, how silly of me!

Archived