Looking for Best Cruise-for Best Price for 2/09-Family of 5!!

Hello fellow cruisers!!

I have gotten so much great information from these boards--I pose a challenge to my fellow cruisers--I am looking for the absolute best 7-8 day cruise for the best price for my family of five with a sailing date in early to mid June, 2009!! This would be a high school graduation for one and college graduation for another of my kids!! (we could stay all five in a cabin large enough--even a suite--sometimes that is cheaper than 2 cabins!!)

I live in NYC, but if the price is right--with a good airfare available we could sail from anywhere on the eastern seaboard!!

I see folks on these boards talking about some great deals--where to find them? The fact that I am thinking so far in advance means I may be able to save and pay towards this without my family even knowing--what a great surprise that would be for all of them!!! I just don't know if I can wait that long for my next cruise! I was most impressed with Carnival--they are far, far from their old reputation of bargain basement!!

TYPO in the title--can't fix--I meant to say 6/09, not 2/09!!! SORRY!!

I have a friend who is a travel agent. she specializes in cruises, I can give you her email address and you can compare around.She was a great help for me when several of my family and friends went to puerto rico for my sons official ceremony.daughter in law family lives in san juan. last min other sons fiance got permission from her professor to come. Lori found flights very reasonable for her and also sons bestmans wife that couldnt leave with the rest of us. He and his wife took a 7day cruise that she set up while we were heading back to tn and ga. the hopped on a ship and continued on for a week. my agent friend took care of all. she now is an inspector also. so she will let ya know whats bestdeals.

You will probably find the best prices on Carnival. Since you will be looking for a specific type of suite, I'd definitely pick the ship now and book what you need. Many families look for same thing. Carnival is known to lower its prices to fill the ships as it gets nearer, which in turn you will be able to take advantage of. Book with a travel agent and they can help with that.

The earlier you can go in June, the lower the cost. However, remember, June begins family vacations, and you won't see the air or cruise prices drop like they do in the fall. SInce you have a once in a lifetime combo of the 2 graduations, go for it. It will be memorable for all! HAve a great time. :D

I forgot to mention....you might look at 2 staterooms, and let your 2 oldest share a room, so they can have the privacy and special time together. Have your TA check all the different arrangements and costs for you. Connecting rooms? That would give you the 2 bathrooms that the oldest 2 would appreciate.

eandj--thanks for the helpful info!! Lucky for me--college graduates in May and the high school will be very early June (my other DD went to same school). I already see what you mean by the steadily climbing prices on June cruises as the weeks go on!!

I will put the call into my TA today. Your points are well taken, and I will review the cost of suite/sleeps 5, against the 2 cabins with connecting door---can't forget the 2 baths with two girls deal!! Another thing, I just sailed Carnival for the first time and I was truly impressed with everything about it--ship, staff, food, etc. All in all an awesome deal!!

Long ago, (before children) my DH & sailed NCL with my Mom and niece--we went for the suite for the 4 of us--we had 2 baths, and this kind of screen/drape that closed off the queen bed area from rest of suite--so privacy for us all. If I recall correctly price was just about identical to 2 cabins. The cabin was very spacious during the day as their bed was a pull out queen sofa. Plenty of closet/storage space as well.

But I have done a lot of research, and it is rare to get such a deal!

Watch square footage...they may call it a suite, but it isn't as big as 2 rooms. This can vary from line to line, even ship to ship.

Booking this early should get you great rates. I'm all about the best deal! I have used a major online TA that specializes in cruises for several cruises (ours, other family members), though our first cruise was booked through a major online travel agency that you have all heard of. We have paid around $500 for each of our 3 Princess 7 day cruises. Booked interior GTY for first cruise and were upgraded to exterior.

Good luck! Have fun planning! These boards were (and still are) a tremendous resource!

Another very good point--I was thinking the suite even if a little more might be better--but am thinknig the overall square footage and that second bathroom may be more important. Am thinking now the connecting cabins may be the best bet!!

$500 pp for 7 day cruise?? You go girl!!:)

eandj--thanks for the helpful info!! Lucky for me--college graduates in May and the high school will be very early June (my other DD went to same school). I already see what you mean by the steadily climbing prices on June cruises as the weeks go on!!

I will put the call into my TA today. Your points are well taken, and I will review the cost of suite/sleeps 5, against the 2 cabins with connecting door---can't forget the 2 baths with two girls deal!! Another thing, I just sailed Carnival for the first time and I was truly impressed with everything about it--ship, staff, food, etc. All in all an awesome deal!!

Long ago, (before children) my DH & sailed NCL with my Mom and niece--we went for the suite for the 4 of us--we had 2 baths, and this kind of screen/drape that closed off the queen bed area from rest of suite--so privacy for us all. If I recall correctly price was just about identical to 2 cabins. The cabin was very spacious during the day as their bed was a pull out queen sofa. Plenty of closet/storage space as well.

Carribean Princess will be sailing from NY starting May 24th, 2009 for 9 days to the Carribean. 5 to fly? I would look for something from NY. :D

Thanks janetz, I see that you've sailed Celebrity Century, a Carnival ship and a Princess--how do they compare? I liked NCL (that was years ago), and I really like Celebrity Century. I was not thrilled with RC Empress of the Seas--perhaps because it was an older, smaller ship?? I really like the Canrival Valor. So with your similar experience, how would compare the Princess line to Carnival and Celebrity?

Well I don't consider myself an expert as we have only sailed 4 times. "For us", Celebrity is the most upscale and formal. Hands down, the best presentation of food. The food is excellent. Loved the Century!

We tried Carnival last year and it was ok. The beds and bedding were wonderful. The food, we found to be just so, so. On our sailing there were plenty of rude people "that we noticed

because they were loud. :) Service was pretty good.

Our cruise in May will be our second on the Carribean Princess. We love this ship We find lots to do and the food is fine. I would say our Princess experience is closer in comparision to our Celebrity sailings than Carnival.

Princess offers anythime dining which we really like. I hate having to be at dinner at a certain time onboard. :D Take a look...

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that you have to list the priority of what is most important to you in order. For example: Itinerary, anytime dining or formal, bed comfort, etc. For example: My husband and I are going for the first time on an Alaska cruise. We know from experience we prefer anytime dining. NCL handles this best, with Princess being a close second. We loved the beds on NCL as well as the cabin size. But for Alaska, itinerary is the most important and HAL and Princess offered the identical itinerary at the week we needed to cruise. HAL would have cost us about $2000 more for the same type of cabin as Princess. So we choose Princess. For 7 nights we will put up with their horrible beds.

Also, consider flight costs. I would see if there is a suitable itinerary which will work for you from a nearby port. Then compare ships and costs. Good luck to you. Anita

Archived