Yet Another Plane or Helicopter question

tayl

With limited funds available, we'd appreciate feedback on whether to do the helicopter glacier landing in juneau, or would the misty fjords float plane trip be more spectacular?

I think you'll be happy with either!! We preferred the float plane over Misty Fjords with Island Wings- BUT I think that was mainly because that was our first view of AK from the air - I think if we'd taken the helo glacier landing first, it would have been our favorite! You can't go wrong with either as long as you get a chance to see that beautiful land from the skies!

With limited funds available, we'd appreciate feedback on whether to do the helicopter glacier landing in juneau, or would the misty fjords float plane trip be more spectacular?

Tayl: I'm from your roll call.....what about the Taku Lodge flight out of Juneau for salmon bake and flightseeing over glaciers - no glacier landing. It really was fun when I did it years ago and worth every penny, IMHO!! Would be fun for people of all ages. It really was spectacular. It it was me, I'd opt for the glacier flight over Misty Fjords (of course, I haven't done Misty Fjords - so take my opinion with a grain of salt :o ) but I can't imagine anything being more spectacular than the glacier flights.

Thank you both for the advice.

I have to be careful when food is served as I have some severe food allergies. Unfortunately, I'm unable to eat a lot of the food they will be serving, which is why I'm no longer considering this as an option.

Although, when looking into it (incl. the pictures), if it wasn't for the allergies, (the place and scenery look fantastic), I truly believe it would be an excellent tour!

Anyone else have any advice around glacier landing or float plane?

thanks again.

I really loved the floatplane trip (Taku Lodge). The views were spectacular. I'm not a fan of helicopters so I didn't consider them particularly since we were with a guy who designs helicopters and he wouldn't ride in one.:eek: I think there is also a floatplane trip that flies over the Juneau icefields but does not land during the trip. You see many glaciers though. I haven't done the Misty Fjords flight but from the pictures that I have seen, you don't see the glaciers. I just thought that the views of the glaciers from the air were breath-taking.

It it was me, I'd opt for the glacier flight over Misty Fjords (of course, I haven't done Misty Fjords - so take my opinion with a grain of salt :o ) but I can't imagine anything being more spectacular than the glacier flights.

For clairfication, regular Misty Fjords flights have NO glacier sightings. You need an uptour, of higher cost and specific for glacier flightseeing, if you want glaciers on the "Misty Fjords" floatplane tours.

I think takemewithyou meant that she would recommend the glacier flight rather than (over) the Misty Fjords flight, knowing that you don't see glaciers on the Misty Fjords flight.

Yes, it could be read seveal ways :) , but some people have no idea what they see in Misty fjords and don't know about the glacier areas. Was only for general information and what else can be added on to the Misty Fjords fligths if they want to also see glaciers.

I think takemewithyou meant that she would recommend the glacier flight rather than (over) the Misty Fjords flight, knowing that you don't see glaciers on the Misty Fjords flight.

You are right, that's what I meant, but you could interpret it more than one way! My bad writing! :o

BQ:

We are thinking of doing the islandwings flight on Ketchikan. What glacier landing could we do from Juneau? Thanks!

There are 4 helicopter companies, ERA is usually fully ship contracted and it's rare to impossible to get independent space. TEMSCO is also a ship contractor but does usually have some space. Coastal is completely independent and usually the cheapest. Northstar does trecking, is ship contracted- that I've heard?? And has independent space. If going with time option, book their longest trek, the short ones are just too short.:)

There are 4 helicopter companies, ERA is usually fully ship contracted and it's rare to impossible to get independent space. TEMSCO is also a ship contractor but does usually have some space. Coastal is completely independent and usually the cheapest. Northstar does trecking, is ship contracted- that I've heard?? And has independent space. If going with time option, book their longest trek, the short ones are just too short.:)

Thank you. Coastal appeals to me. We went down into the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago by helicopter and it was wonderful! I'd much rather go by helicopter.

I've done both the helicopter to the glacier and the floatplane in Misty Fjords and I would definitely pick the helicopter to the glacier. The helicopter(that I was on) could maneuver all around the mountains and it felt like you could almost touch the peaks. It is very hard to explain the difference, but really, you can't go wrong with either one.

You will just have to go back to Alaska again to do all the things that you didn't get to do this time! That is why we went back!:D

Archived