Bayahibe Public Beach....La Romana... all the answers...

monicajay

After having made numerous inquiries on these and many other boards and trying to find out what to do in La Romana I would like to give my experience from our sailing on the Costa Mediterannea.

We docked around 7 am on the morning of March 4th but stayed on ship for a relaxed dining room breakfast. We were met by a group of dancers and musicians on the pier that we watched from our balcony. Most people seemed to walk by without even leaving a small tip. I found this sad knowing how much poverty there is in this country.

By the time we got off at 10 they were gone. We had made arrangements with another couple on our roll call to share a taxi and met them on the pier. We walked up the ramp (about 100 ft) and were greeted by a lady with a hand held sign pointing to the taxis. Her English was good and we were told that we could continue walking to find the taxi stand. It was only another couple of hundred feet.

Along the way, some fellow cruisers were already warning us that we best stay on the ship.

We were 6 in our party by now and we meet up with another couple for a total of 8. Our taxi fare was $55.00 return for the first 5 passengers and $11.00 for each extra person. This included, as others had posted a 2 hour wait time at the beach. We explained that we didn't know how long we wanted to wait and there seemed to be no problem to change this latter. The ride took about 20 minutes.

The beach was beautiful and clean. There were vendors but they did not harrass, a simple 'no thanks' sent them on the way. There were a few stalls set up with clothing and jewelry for sale but I did not venture over there.

There were chairs available for rent at $5.00 each. Most were made of wood with jute straps. There were some plastic also. We did not bother as we planned to spend most of our time in the water.

Beer was $3.00 for a normal sized one and $5.00 for a really big one. Soda was $2.00 and bottled water was $1.00. They also fixed rum drinks in a coconut for about $7.00 (I didn't have one so can't comment). They did however seem popular.

We did not try any of the food but there were vendors and prices seemed reasonable.

Snorkeling was poor as there was a lot of sand mixed in the water so it was murky but we did see some fish and found a huge star fish. It was great however for swimming and hanging out.

Two hours went by too fast so our little gang agreed on an extra hour (worked out to $2.00 each).

Just as we were finally leaving after a wonderful trip to the beach it started to rain.

Total cost for my family of four including tip, beer and sodas $80.00, a far cry from the $224.00 that Costa wanted. My biggest concern before going was bathrooms but I managed to wait till I got back to the ship so I cannot comment.

I am willing to answer any questions and hope this helps all the fellow indendant travellers who would like to get off the ship and go to the beach without being gouged by the cruiselines.

Glad to hear a positive review of the DR. We were there in Feb. aboard the Carnival Destiny. Our group of 6, also took a cab to the beach and had a wonderful day in the sun. We were not harassed or felt endangered in any way. When we were getting off the boat, alot of people from our ship were telling us not to go. My hubby and I have been to the DR before, and we know what a poor country it really is. Too bad, for all the people, that stayed on the ship that day, because they were afraid the people there. They do not know what they were missing. And too bad for the people, that had practically the same day at the beach, but spent twice as much as we did, by taking the boats tour. Although, at least they got off, and did something. We enjoyed our day there. Hopefully, others will read this and decide to go. Take a cab at the pier. IT IS SAFE!!

Did the taxi driver wait at the beach for you while you were at the beach.

The $55 for the cab fare--was that round trip?

quote.gif

The taxi driver waited at the beach. All the cab drivers sit together in the shade not far from where the cabs park. Yes, the $55.00 fare for 5 people total is round trip. (thus $11.00 per person)

I would recommend you get your taxi drivers name so if you decide to stay more than the 2 hours included, you can easily find him. They charge $15.00 to stay an extra hour.

Ours was a van and had comfortable seating for 8.

Hi, We were also with this group[ Hi guys!] and I would just like to add my two cents.

We were so glad that we ventured off to this beach . The day was so enjoyable and seeing a little of this area was interesting as well. We don't like to venture too far from the ship- so 20 min. out was great. My husband rented one of the loungers and thought they were very comfortable. I spent most of my time in the water. I also had a glance at the different vendors stalls. ALL were very welcoming but NOT pushy! I haggled for a very large Larimar ring and bracelet and a 1

foot high carved bird. I ended up agreeing to $45.00 for everything- practically a steal!

As far as going into the town for shopping- I heard mixed reviews from others. Some who just got dropped off at The Jumbo store[ nothing too exciting to buy]. Others felt nervous and slightly harassed.

Thanks again to Monica and your family for sharing a cab that day . We were really glad we went. There is so little info about this port that many decide to stay on the ship. I think that would be a shame. As far as getting the beach excursion through the ship this was FAR more economical. Even if you want a few beers and food , you still save a lot and are on the same stretch of beach side by side!:D

I did not see umbrellas to rent, however, there were some shade trees if you were willing to be further back from the ocean. The trees were still on the beach.

Not the most flattering photo of my husband but it should help you see the trees. Hope this helps!

IMGP1301.jpg.e49ff907fc430daf01b55bee1bdc782c.jpg

Thanks for the info. We're going to be in the DR the week of April 1st with the Costa Mediterranea. From what I've seen of their shore excursion prices compared to the other cruises that I've been on, their prices tend to be on the steep side. We've been to this port several years ago and I do remember that there was nothing around the port at all, except for the taxi area up the hill from the dock. Don't expect to get off the ship and walk around a charming shopping area.

I did not see umbrellas to rent, however, there were some shade trees if you were willing to be further back from the ocean. The trees were still on the beach.

Not the most flattering photo of my husband but it should help you see the trees. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response.

Glad to hear a positive review of the DR. We were there in Feb. aboard the Carnival Destiny. Our group of 6, also took a cab to the beach and had a wonderful day in the sun. We were not harassed or felt endangered in any way. When we were getting off the boat, alot of people from our ship were telling us not to go. My hubby and I have been to the DR before, and we know what a poor country it really is. Too bad, for all the people, that stayed on the ship that day, because they were afraid the people there. They do not know what they were missing. And too bad for the people, that had practically the same day at the beach, but spent twice as much as we did, by taking the boats tour. Although, at least they got off, and did something. We enjoyed our day there. Hopefully, others will read this and decide to go. Take a cab at the pier. IT IS SAFE!!

I try to understand why people are so scary to go off the ship in DR?

my God Jamaica its worst...! Im counting my days to return there..bad i dont have the oportunity this time to an overnight! To see Kandela again!

but still ill be there for a day..! To have few presidente beer and buy some mamajuana and guavabery...and coffee! but what is scary about if you dont go off the ship! ?

• 5 months later...

Thank you for this information--our Princess cruise stops there in January-it gives us a chance to think about what we will do in LaRomana!

I try to understand why people are so scary to go off the ship in DR?

my God Jamaica its worst...! Im counting my days to return there..bad i dont have the oportunity this time to an overnight! To see Kandela again!

but still ill be there for a day..! To have few presidente beer and buy some mamajuana and guavabery...and coffee! but what is scary about if you dont go off the ship! ?

I was in DR in Feb and LOVED it!! got a day pass at Iberostar resort and it was beautiful!!! anyway my DH couldn't join me because he had the flu

:( as a joke I bought him some mama Juana medicine... I see you really like it? what is it exactly?

Hey!! I am glad to hear of some things todo in DR!! My husband and another couple will be there in Jan. We are on Carnivals Splendor. Where did you get a day pass to the Iberostar resort? Is it far from the port? Thanks for everyones wonderful info!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

In advance I contacted Iberostar to arrange the day pass. It was about 25 mins from the port. i wrote a review about it in Feb it's on the thread. it is called something like ' I was here 2.20.08" ???? I think....if you can't find it w/b w/ any other questions.

Cruisingbooboo---I found your thread and you've provided wonderful information. I've been researching everything to find something to do in DR. The Iberostar resort sounds just about perfect. What ship did you arrive on? I'm concerned where the ships dock vs where the resort is located....not to mention the seemingly flexible taxi rates! :rolleyes:

We'll be on RCCL/Explorer and the port is listed as Casa De Campo.

Thanks for any info!:)

Was it easy to explain to the taxi drivers that you wanted to go to Bayahibe Beach for the day? I am only a few months away from my cruise and still have no idea what I want to do in DR. I sure dont want to pay ship prices just to go to a beach for a couple of hours.

Cruisingbooboo---I found your thread and you've provided wonderful information. I've been researching everything to find something to do in DR. The Iberostar resort sounds just about perfect. What ship did you arrive on? I'm concerned where the ships dock vs where the resort is located....not to mention the seemingly flexible taxi rates! :rolleyes:

We'll be on RCCL/Explorer and the port is listed as Casa De Campo.

Thanks for any info!:)

Hi, I was on the Explorer of the Seas, before getting in the taxi agree on a round trip price ( our driver waited at the resort for us and INSISTED that we did not pay him until he took us back to the pier). It was about a 20-25 min taxi ride.... Yes the port is listed as Casa De Campo someone once gave me the history on the port name but I an't remember it...

We are going back in April but the hours we are in port are different 7-2 pm, I don't feel like that is enough time to go back to Iberostar:mad: because realistically I won't be off the ship at 7:00 am!!! I posted on the " meet and mingle" page and got a bunch of other cruisers to join me at Iberostar, we met in the Promenade Cafe, got off the ship together and hopped in a taxi van all together. Please be sure to bring your email confirmation, the security guards at the resort were a bit confused as to why 20 people were coming in at once, as soon as i showed the email confirmation there was no problems!!!

When are you going? Please post reviews of whatever you do in port, there is such little information here. If you go I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!!

When are you going? Please post reviews of whatever you do in port, there is such little information here. If you go I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!!

Thanks for the tips! We are going to be in the DR on November 25, 2008. I'll be happy to post info on whatever we end up doing. I've emailed Iberostar and they've responded back. Mario sent me a form to fill out and told me to bring it along and that he will also send an email confirmation this week. After giving this thought though....(we arrive in DR at 11am and depart at 6pm).....we're having doubts as to whether we will have enough time at Iberostar to justify the cost of the day. But, we so want to get off of the ship, and do something that we consider to be safe. I just keep reading how people think this is an unsafe port. But I really haven't read about any incidents. But in any event, I'll let you know! (We're also looking into the Casa de Campo Resort....you don't have any insider info on this resort, do you?:rolleyes: )

Hi Bayer,

No I don't have any info on casa De Campo resort... we were there 11am-6:00 too we felt as though we had a good ammount of time at Iberostar ( although longer would've been better) we ended up leaving Iberostar around 4:30.

This time we are going with 4 others we have to discus our fiancial situation before we decide to do Iberostar or not.. we're traveling w/ kids so it may be cheaper just to go to the public beach...also this time we're there 7am-2pm which stinks!!! not enough time!!!!!! anyway let us know what you do or if you find out anymore interesting details about Casa de Campo.

Bayer,

We are also on the RCCL ship that docks in the DR on Nov. 25th. We have been considering going to Iberostar for the day. I emailed them requesting information for passes, but hey have not gotten back to me yet. Maybe we can get together for the transportation there. There will be 4 of us going. (2 Adults and 2 kids)

Lordian

Bayer,

We are also on the RCCL ship that docks in the DR on Nov. 25th. We have been considering going to Iberostar for the day. I emailed them requesting information for passes, but hey have not gotten back to me yet. Maybe we can get together for the transportation there. There will be 4 of us going. (2 Adults and 2 kids)

Lordian

Hi! In addition to looking into the Iberostar, we are also looking into the Casa de Campo resort (it's supposedly gorgeous!). I don't know if you've read anything about that property. It's a bit more money, but there is none of the preregistration that Iberostar seems to require and it's closer to where the ship will dock. If we would go to the same place, it would be great to arrange transportation together. We are also a family of 4...2 adults and 2 DD (11 & 13). I honestly don't know though when we will make up our minds on which place we will go. I've been in contact with Iberostar, and they are supposed to email me a confirmation this week. Have you visited the roll call thread for this Explorer cruise? You're don't have to sign up for the meet & mingle, you can just visit the thread and chat. :) There is additional info on both of these locations regarding day pass info. I'll look for you there and back here on this thread!!

Cruisingbooboo and Lordian,

I've just learned that they are changing the stop in DR on the Explorer departing 21Nov08 from Casa de Campo to Samana. Not sure if we should be happy about that or not.:confused:

But I guess I'll have to wait to see what the cruiseline is offering for excursions and then start researching all over again!

Was it easy to explain to the taxi drivers that you wanted to go to Bayahibe Beach for the day? I am only a few months away from my cruise and still have no idea what I want to do in DR. I sure dont want to pay ship prices just to go to a beach for a couple of hours.

It was easy because the lady running the taxi stand spoke English so she made sure he knew where we wanted to go and that we knew what the fare was. All prices are pre-set and posted on a big sign.

Enjoy your day at Bayahibe public beach, it is much cheaper than any of the cruise tours. Even if you bought a few drinks and rented chairs you will come out way ahead.

Archived