Excursions

UlvaZell

I have come to realize that there are apparently limitless options for excursions in Hawaii, but are there those excursions that you would class as "must do", "don't miss"? We will be going to Oahu, Hawaii, Maui and Kauai.

Thus far we have definitely planned on the Road to Hana on Maui and Waiamea Canyon on Kauai and perhaps a golf excursion somewhere. Beyond that I'm overwhelmed at the possibilities.

What would you recommend?

• Administrators
I have come to realize that there are apparently limitless options for excursions in Hawaii, but are there those excursions that you would class as "must do", "don't miss"? We will be going to Oahu, Hawaii, Maui and Kauai.

Thus far we have definitely planned on the Road to Hana on Maui and Waiamea Canyon on Kauai and perhaps a golf excursion somewhere. Beyond that I'm overwhelmed at the possibilities.

What would you recommend?

Volcanoes National Park on the BI, and Pearl Harbor on Oahu.

Do the Road to Hana VERY early. We rented a convertible. We went to a local 7-11ish type store, bought a styrofoam cooler (you can bring your own collapsible one too) filled it with sodas and ice. Bought snacks and a odometer map (it tells you what mile to stop at and what you're looking at). Look at the crayon trees (or were they Crayola?) that looked like a giant colored them. Ferns along the way have a defense mechanism that makes them close up when you touch them. Pick some rose apples. They looked like crab apples (small and green), were hollow and smelled like roses. My ds7 loved them.

If possible (LOL) get back to Lahaina by sunset and watch the sun dip into the ocean. There's a long rock wall people sit on by Cheeseburger in Paradise (great burgers too).

Do the Road to Hana VERY early. We rented a convertible. We went to a local 7-11ish type store, bought a styrofoam cooler (you can bring your own collapsible one too) filled it with sodas and ice. Bought snacks and a odometer map (it tells you what mile to stop at and what you're looking at). Look at the crayon trees (or were they Crayola?) that looked like a giant colored them. Ferns along the way have a defense mechanism that makes them close up when you touch them. Pick some rose apples. They looked like crab apples (small and green), were hollow and smelled like roses. My ds7 loved them.

If possible (LOL) get back to Lahaina by sunset and watch the sun dip into the ocean. There's a long rock wall people sit on by Cheeseburger in Paradise (great burgers too).

They're on PoAm and, unless they're on one of the unusual itineraries that includes Lahaina, they'll be docked at Kahului. No way would I recommend that they do the RTH and then go to Lahaina and then go back to Kahului.

If they happen to be on one of those odd itineraries that does include Lahaina, then you're quite right about sunset on the west. The rock wall is a great place to watch the sunset, but even better is the over the water lanai at Lahaina Fish Company. (I have to disagree with you about the burgers at Cheeseburger in Paradise. We've never been all that impressed with them, although they aren't horrid or anything. Still, a table by the water at Cheeseburger, a tropical drink in hand, and a bowl of fries on the table is an excellent way to enjoy the sunset, as long as the evening entertainment hasn't started because then it's just far too loud for our tastes.)

beachchick

I LOVED the Road to Hana in Maui. We did this on our first day in Maui. We pulled over in many spots for pix. I got some of the most beautiful shots on this trip. It is an all day trip and it's driving around mountain roads. If you don't like that or are not used to driving on mountians roads, it may not be a good trip for you. This would not be good to do with small children or even teenagers. Our second day in Maui we drove into Lahania and did whale watching with Pacific Whale Foundation.

Someone mentioned Volcanoes National Park. We did this in Hilo and enjoyed this, too. In Kauai we took and airplane tour with Air Ventures. Again, beautiful shots from overhead.

On our last day we had a late flight so we visited Pearl Harbor. A very unforgettable day. The Arizona Memorial will make you proud to be an American!

I'm confused, on the road to Hana do we drive ourselves?

just linda aka spatz

You can and I think there are tour buses that do this tour also. It is a very curvy, windy, mountainous road so if you're not experienced at driving in the mountains, I would not drive it. We did and the only problem we had was the locals...they drive around the curve in the opposite lane and we were almost run off the road on the way back. We barely missed the guard rail...I was quite nervous after that. He made no attempt to stop, slow down or move over for us. However, if you drive yourself, you can get some great shots because you can pull over at places a bus can't.

Hello...

All of the previous suggestions make we want to book a flight back to Hawaii.

One drive I didn't see mentioned is the drive to Hanalei Bay in Kauai; I'd consider this a must do because of the amazing beauty of the place.

murphysmum;)

Archived