Budget for teenagers

Melody728

I am cruising with my 13 and 17 year olds soon. Seven day trip to Mexico. Would like to give them a small, but reasonable amount of money on their cards for them to enjoy a few treats on the ship. Any thoughts on what amount works well for teens?

We didn't put a limit on our son's seapass, he was 16 at the time, we just set guidelines. He had a soda card that we had purchased for him and told him he could get one frozen drink a day. We also told him he could get ice cream at ben and jerry's once a day too. He was told we wouldn't be paying for his arcade time, he could use his seapass but we would have to pay us back. Any other purchases had to be preapproved by us.

We know that he is responsible, usually :eek: :D , so we set guidelines and just monitored his purchases on the TV each night when we were checking our own. He actually spent LESS than I would have expected him to. He had one frozen drink all week since he got his fill when they had a mocktail party in Fuel. He also only got Ben and Jerry's once all week too because the free ice cream was near the pool and quicker to get than going down to the promenade. He also used the arcade the first night when it was free from 11pm to 1am. The rest of the week he was fine with ping pong, foosball, basketball and all the other free activities.

You know your kids best, if you think they will spend a lot, then set a limit. We are going to set the guidelines up front again and let him charge as needed. He knows that if he goes wild, then it is up to him to reimburse us.

I am still trying to decide what to do with that too......I think they will have a soda card, at least our three older ones....and our two older ones may be able to have the card. Not sure, I know how easy it is to spend when you are not using cash.

As far as the ports go, I think we will give them each $100 total for them to spend as they wish at the ports we visit. That gives them $25 per port which i feel is a good amount.

Take care,

Sandi

Thanks for the info about monitoring the accounts on the TV. I didn't know that.

Since my younger one is still impulsive I think starting small and reloading mid-way through is my best course of action. For ports I'm paying for the excursions and if they want any trinkets that can come out of their allowances.

Just back from a cruise with my DD. It was her Sweet 16--this trip was instead of a party. Gifts from family gave her $150 in cash for the week. I did not give her signing privileges on the card. Reason: 4 years ago on an RCL cruise, they had a Ben & Jerry's and Seattle coffee and this kid was running up quite a bill!!

She never missed it, I bought her the soda card, so she was set. I told her if she saw something she wanted to buy onboard let me know and we'd get it (with her money). She didn't.

Was most excited when she didn't even want to souvenir shop on shore!! Finally--last stop--Cozumel, I forced her to shop--we had to get gifts for Dad and DS & DB!!

Last night I gave her sign privileges to go buy some pictures (we were a big group--10 Moms, 10 girls, and they had made tons of friends and did dress up pictures, etc) and she bought just two--one of her & I, and one of the group of kids!!

Oh, by the way--she came home with $100!! I was thrilled!!! I am usually not this lucky with this one financially!! LOL!!

Bottom line--you know your own kids and how they are generally with money. If you have a mini-millionaire on your hands--curtail the spending. I did not know that I could have set her card with limits, if I had, I would have put like $25- $50 on it and see how that went!!

Archived