Sickness on Carnival Miracle

davethomasowns

At the end of January we were on the Glory and my husband didn't feel well Sunday evening after sailing on Sat. He was stuck in the room, fortunately we had been upgraded to a very nice suite, for the rest of the cruise.

He got no meals except room service and wasn't out of the room other than to go to the infirmary. It was indeed disappointing for both of us. It wasn't Carnival's fault that he had pneumonia. I would not have thought of asking them for any compensation. Although I wouldn't have turned down an offer for OBC on our next cruise.

I was on this cruise with you and I'm sorry to hear you and your Gf were ill. However, I am a bit upset with you, as a medical provider I have seen many people contract illnesses simply because someone around them didn't follow medical orders and spread the disease. By violating the quarantine you put other passengers and crew at risk. Additonally, you could have spread your illness in Panama and if it was traced back to the ship you could have caused problems between officals there and Carnival. Yes, the employee will get in alot of trouble for allowing you off the ship, I hope that they will be better educated and not lose there job because of this. In regards to the posting in the infirmary that you had an infectious diease, I didn't see it so I'm not sure if it was within HIPPA regs. but it was there so that staff would know to take proper BSI precautions when treating you. In regards to the care you recieved, We had a member of our group taken to the infirmary the last night with Chest Pains and Dehydration he was taken by a Paramedic and a Trauma Tech from Shock Trauma, they were both very impressed with care that he recieved. Lastly, no I don't think you deserve compensation, in fact I you are lucky that Carnival was not harsher with you for violating the quarantine. I'm sorry if you feel that this is mean or harsh and I hope that you enjoy future cruises illness free.

hey shane, im sorry you guys got sick :( my brothers fiance was sick the first two days and i was sick for a few of the early days too, i was lucky though and i just had bad stomach pains and never actually got sick ( my brothers fiance did though) she visitied the infirmary but they didnt but her on isolation, im not sure why though. i unforatuntely dont think they will compensate you anything since they did waive the fee, but you could always try and contact them, you never know what they will do

I was on this cruise with you and I'm sorry to hear you and your Gf were ill. However, I am a bit upset with you, as a medical provider I have seen many people contract illnesses simply because someone around them didn't follow medical orders and spread the disease. By violating the quarantine you put other passengers and crew at risk. Additonally, you could have spread your illness in Panama and if it was traced back to the ship you could have caused problems between officals there and Carnival. Yes, the employee will get in alot of trouble for allowing you off the ship, I hope that they will be better educated and not lose there job because of this. In regards to the posting in the infirmary that you had an infectious diease, I didn't see it so I'm not sure if it was within HIPPA regs. but it was there so that staff would know to take proper BSI precautions when treating you. In regards to the care you recieved, We had a member of our group taken to the infirmary the last night with Chest Pains and Dehydration he was taken by a Paramedic and a Trauma Tech from Shock Trauma, they were both very impressed with care that he recieved. Lastly, no I don't think you deserve compensation, in fact I you are lucky that Carnival was not harsher with you for violating the quarantine. I'm sorry if you feel that this is mean or harsh and I hope that you enjoy future cruises illness free.

Do you think HIPPA laws apply on board? the ship is a floating petre dish.. i am sorry this couple got ill but they were selfish not to follow the rules..

I dont understand his statement that his girlfriend slept most of the day off the ship?? I have to reread this...

You were sick and were told to stay in your cabin to avoid infecting other passengers. You ignored the order, wandered around the ship, left to do a land tour thus potentially infecting people in Panama. Having done all this, you complain that you were embarrassed and that the company owes you compensation.

IMHO -

1) You owe compensation to everyone you might have infected by breaking quarantine;

2) The line owes you nothing;

3) Your name should be put on a permanent **** list so that any time in the future that you travel and get sick, you should be locked in the brig;

4) Your are a selfish, uncaring ***** who is only concerned with yourself.

DON

I agree with what you are saying, but if I stayed at a hotel and got sick there should they be able to "Isolate" me and tell me I can't leave my hotel room? I don't think that is right. I understand that they don't want it to spread, but the paperwork they gave me on my illness said it comes from contact and listed examples as eating/drinking after others. I can understand not going to public dining areas but c'mon, I paid a lot of money to be on the ship, I don't think that I should be stuck in my room. I should have been able to go to the shows, walk around, etc. That does not mean that I would have been contacting other people physically.

Ok, exactly what part of "infectious" don't you understand? All you would have to do is touch something, and then have someone else come along and touch the same thing, and they could become sick! Imagine if there were 50 or 60 people just like you, wandering around the ship?? The only way they can hope to protect the rest of the passengers is to keep you quartantined until you are no longer infectious! You just have to file it under s*&t happens and move on!

OP said he and his GF were both 21. Doesn't Carnival require someone in the cabin to be 25?

No - only if one person is under the age of 20. Over 21 it's fine for both of them to be in the cabin.

I'm sorry you got sick. but like others said, you should not have left quarantine. You put the other passengers and crew at risk of getting the stomach virus, and that is how noro starts. All Noro is is a stomach virus gone rampant - and because the quarters are so close, it makes it very easy to spread.

Hope your next vacation is better. I've been sick on a cruise before and it's not fun.

tell you what, Id be pretty ticked off if I found out I got sick because somebody couldnt spend 24 hours in quarantine because he didnt feel it necessary, or like the fact that it was an infectious disease, or follow simple protocol aboard the ship.

so what, you didnt want to miss Panama, if the seas were rough and the boat couldnt dock would you have swam to shore? things happen on vacation, and you potentially risked the health of all aboard, or even people through Panama.

Like somebody said, something of an infectious disease is exactly how SARS started in Toronto, where I live, and let me tell you our tourism is just starting to recover. If there happened to be an 'outbreak' of noro on the ship, because you needed to get out, and not be labelled an outcast on your sns card, and word got out, think of the ramifcations?

all in all , theres a reason noro is put into quarantine, it sucks, but there are reasons for everything.

Hello all!

First, I would like to say that I am not a cheap person. I do not expect to get things for free and I work for the few things I have now. That being said, I had saved for about three monthes to surprise my girlfriend for her birthday with an 8-day cruise. We have both just turned 21 and I only have a part-time job being that I am attending college full-time. We sailed on March 6th on the Miracle, getting back yesterday. Overall it was a great week for us.

However... On the 7th (yeah, the very first sea day!) I awoke at 4am with VERY bad abdominal pains. I knew that I wasn't seasick (I have been in 14 foot waves and was fine,) but I felt like I was going to vomit. Ran to the bathroom and threw up more than I ever have in my life. Literally every 10 minutes I would have to go to the toilet and throw up for probably close to 7 or 8 hours. Nothing was left to come out. Throughout the day other gross symptoms occured that I don't want to discuss, and I spent the entire first day sicker than ever. The next day my body felt I had just got over a year-long flu. My bones and joints and every inch of my body hurt to move, and I had a terrible headache. I am not one to complain but honest to God I felt horrible. I slept most of the day and that evening the vomiting symptoms returned. I decided that I would go to the infirmary (Even though I knew they would rape my wallet... I did not get cruise insurance.) Come to find out it was a "Norwalk-Like Virus" and that since I had gotten it on the ship there was no charge. The doctor gave me a few medications and told me that I would be put on "Isolation" for 24 hours. I didn't think twice and went back to my room. That evening my girlfriend started complaining about stomach pains. Next thing you know she had the same violent vomiting and other symptoms. Hers only lasted maybe 2 hours, but everything was the same so I knew she had contracted my "disease." I gave her some of the medication they gave me and we went to sleep.

One of the main reasons why I chose this sailing was the stop at Panama so we definitly were not going to miss out on this port. Forgetting that they had put me on Isolation (which I still feel that the should not be allowed to do,) we went to leave the gangway in the morning. When he scanned my sail&sign, there was an obnoxious ringing sound. He did it again, with the same noise. I tried reading the screen and the only thing I could see was "4 New Messages." Anyhow, he seemed confused and let me by. We had a great day in Panama (even though Kaleigh slept most of the time because her body ached,) and we got back to the ship. When he scanned my card, the same noise rang again. This time the CAPTAIN of the boat was waiting there. He referred to me by name and asked me to please follow him into the infirmary. He repeatedly (more than 5 times) asked who the person was that let me through earlier in the day. I honestly could not picture him for some reason so I told him so. While he was questioning Kaleigh, I read a message that had been printed near one of the computers.

Attention all Carnival Crew Members:

This passenger: Shane Arsenault

has been let off the ship with a "potentially infectious disease."

Verbatim, it said that. An infectious disease. I found that rather embarassing to have lying around for people to be able to read. Either way they took my temperature and proceeded to check Kaleigh. They said hers was high, so they took my off of the Isolation and put her on.

We slept the entire next day and ended up enjoying the rest of the cruise. Even though we were not able to eat much (Mostly ate Lucky Charms and drank Caffiene-Free Sprite) we still enjoyed the other 2 ports and walking around the boat. To this moment, my stomach still has those weird pains so I was unable to drink any of the liquor I had smuggled. :)

Anyways... my question to you guys. Seeming how TWO WHOLE days were wasted (spent throwing up,) and we were constantly referred to as being "quarantined" and "in isolation," do you think there would be any chance of some sort of discount on a future booking? I understand that there's no chance of reimbursement, but I spent a lot of time and money planning this week and it was ruined because of a virus I got on their boat. I put everything I had into this surprise and so many things I had planned were ruined.

Do you think Carnival could do anything with giving a discount on a future booking? I am not scarred, and I will definitly cruise on Carnival again, I will just make sure to bring a LOT of hand sanitizers and soaps.

That being said, the Miracle was a beautiful ship and I really wish that I could have spent more time with the onboard activities.

Thanks for any opinions,

Shane Arsenault

I had a similar thing happen in 2002 on the Sensation. Except it wasn't Noro Virus, so they say..... I am convinced it was food poisoning from the Cesar salad that is from the pizza area. I ate it multiple times over several days. I was profusely sick for 48 hours. Vomiting and the "other". lol.... Only, it wasn't funny. I missed New Orleans as I was bed ridden for over 24 hours. They cleaned around me, my friends partied without me (at my insistence). Did I think I should be compensated? Probably then as it was due to them leaving the salad out with that type dressing. But I also new, **it happens.

I totally feel for you. Going to school, working and a limited budget and the disappointment. But with Noro, you have to be quarantined. That is such a nasty illness and highly contagious.... And not everyone's immune system can handle it and come out of it. They have to protect the rest of the passengers. You do not have to be touching them or kissing them to pass it on. You can touch something and then they touch it and they get it..... As frustrating as it is, they have to isolate you...... It sucks, I agree.... But they have too. Many people have died from that illness.....

Write them a letter of your experience but as others have said, be corgial/nice. You might get something, you might not.... But I wouldn't "expect" anything.... You might be nicely surprised. :D

You were sick and were told to stay in your cabin to avoid infecting other passengers. You ignored the order, wandered around the ship, left to do a land tour thus potentially infecting people in Panama. Having done all this, you complain that you were embarrassed and that the company owes you compensation.

IMHO -

1) You owe compensation to everyone you might have infected by breaking quarantine;

3) Your name should be put on a permanent **** list so that any time in the future that you travel and get sick, you should be locked in the brig;

DON

I should also add that the crew member who let you off the ship should be fired.

The next time you cruise, they should stamp your forehead with a bright red "Q" in ink that does not come off.

DON

There was a norovirus outbreak on a Holland America cruise ship a few weeks ago, and those that were requested to stay in there rooms were compensated $100 per day: http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/02/26/cruise.ship.illness.ap/

Not sure if giving a compensation when asked to stay in your room is standard procedure, or if they did this because of the negative media publicity it received.

I will not get into whether or not the OP deserves a reimbursement, but simply stating that it wouldn't hurt to send a letter to request one.

Shane, my husband and I cruised with you on Miracle this past week. We had similar symptoms, without the vomiting. Just bad stomach cramps, and diarrhea. Our symptoms didn't appear until the morning of Panama, and continued intermittently through Belize. But we just washed our hands like freaks, and tried not to touch the handrails, etc. We still managed to run up our alcohol bill ;), so obviously had a much less virulent strain than you both did. I hope you were able to enjoy at least part of your cruise. My problem, which started the first sea day on ship, had more to do with "mysterious bites" all over my body. After three mornings waking up covered in bites, I visited the infirmary, where I was told that I was having an "allergic reaction" to 'something' and that bed bugs were never a problem on Carnival. Interestingly enough, the infirmary ordered a complete cleaning of my room that day, and I didn't have the problem again, so whatever it was, the cleaning took care of it. This was our 6th cruise, and we've never encountered anything like it. I also found the people in the infirmary to be short, brusque and rude. I'm a nurse, and I can self-diagnose quite nicely, thank you! So I didn't need to be patronized regarding some stupid mysterious rash, when I knew darn well something was biting me in my room. I was sent packing with hydracortisone cream and benedryl. (No charge to my account, thankfully). Anyway, I'm not considering a complaint, but then again, I wasn't confined to my room. I guess that in order to protect the rest of the passengers, they did what was best, in your case. Did you see some of the geriatrics onboard? Can you imagine if they had let the two of you roam freely touching everything? I know it sucked to be quaratined, but I'm glad that you were. I'll bet you picked up that virus on the plane or in the airport, and just had the misfortune to come down with it day one on the ship. Next time, prefunk with Airborne and Pepto before you go. We did the Airborne thing this time, but NOT the Pepto, and look what happened! Never again will I skip my normal routine.

We were on the Miriicle last uear and my DSI also recieved multople bites from 'bed bugs', They were found in the skirt that goies around the bed...she was quite uncomfortable...Carnival was very good to her and they actually were able to change thier cabin...as the one they were in was as stated above cleaned.

OP-

HOW SELFISH!! I am surprised someone wants to marry someone who doesn't think of anyone but himself. Harsh yes, true, YES!!

To think that you care more about seeing panama than whether or not other people have to suffer the same way as you just did just makes me furious.

I say write a letter to Carnival and tell them exactly who you are so they can ban you from all their lines. I hope you don't cruise again!

Just a note in slight defense of the OP -- he is only 21... the rashness of it makes me want to say "stupid kid". It was an immature thing for him to do, but I would argue that at 21, he is not 100% mature in other aspects of his life.

[quote name='MonaCK']Just a note in slight defense of the OP -- he is only 21... the rashness of it makes me want to say "stupid kid". It was an immature thing for him to do, but I would argue that at 21, he is not 100% mature in other aspects of his life.[/quote]

If you or a loved one got sick because of him, would you be so charitable?

DON

I was on the NCL Dawn last November. There was a huge outbreak of Noro that the ship was having a very hard time controlling. A friend who was on the cruise was good friends with the CD asked why they were not able to control the outbreak. The CD said people who were quarantined were leaving their cabin and reinfecting the ship. He said he couldn't force them to stay in their cabin. The poor crew worked so hard cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. They even had to disinfect each menu in the dining room after it was handled.

I'm glad you were embarrassed. You should have been. Perhaps that will teach you. You left your cabin when you were told not to. Do rules not apply to you? You need to grow up.

Carnival owes you nothing. You owe Carnival and everyone on the cruise an apology for putting everyone at risk for your selfishness.

I agree with the other people. If you started feeling ill the first day at sea it is most likely that you would've gotten sick even if you were not even on the ship. It seems that you may have been infected even before boarding.
As far as you being quarantined, I totally understand where they are coming from. If I'm on the ship, and I know that someone has a highly infectious diease, I dont want it! I would hope that they would quarantine themself, out of consideration for the other people. There really is no way to prove that you got it on the ship. and being that it was on the first day, theres no way that you could've gotten sick from the ship in a matter of a few hrs. Besides as far as I know, they disinfect the ships between each cruise.. There is something that is going around, on land, so it is very possible that it happened before boarding.

[quote name='donaldsc']You were sick and were told to stay in your cabin to avoid infecting other passengers. You ignored the order, wandered around the ship, left to do a land tour thus potentially infecting people in Panama. Having done all this, you complain that you were embarrassed and that the company owes you compensation.

IMHO -

DON[/QUOTE]

Comments like that.... They are really unneccesary. I posted this to see if anybody has experience with compensation when they got sick on a ship. And the comments about me being "immature," coming from people who call me a "selfish *****." Reading these last two pages honestly just made me sick. I have loved visiting this site the past couple monthes and then you guys just act like jerks. Let me clarify a couple of things.

The computer screen did not read the message. It was on a printed-out piece of paper sitting on the desk facing the nurse. I am not sure how long it was there, but it's obviously why they had the Captain (or security officer, whoever it was bring me to the infirmary once my S&S alerted them.

And I did NOT move around the ship. I literally did not have a single thing to eat or drink for those days, and I stayed in my bed. That morning, feeling much better I went to Panama because I felt like it. I paid for it and I still think I should be able to get off if I want. You guys made me realize how dangerous it could be to other passengers, so I regret doing so, but that does not make me a jerk or whatever you guys are saying.

Maybe instead of telling me to put pills under my tounge and go to sleep, they should have explained to me more about the virus. I still don't understand how it spreads. Admittedly, I thought it was only through physical contact. Once again, I repeat, I did not travel the ship. I only got off in Panama.

Regarding the comment about "doing what I was supposed to" to not get it. I wash my hands every time I am even near a restroom. I am that guy that does not double-dip and hates touching remotes and/or ketchup bottles. I am a very clean person and I definitly was not reckless in that respect.

I now understand why the quarantine was put into place, and I regret getting off at Panama (I still do not appreciate the attitude of Don and others... crazy how comments online like that can bother me so much,) but I still disagre with "taking about the card." If they can confirm that I got the virus on their ship, and they took my card from me and confined me to a room, I still feel there should be compensation. Even if it's not their fault completely, I still feel that a company that large should do something to make the customer happy.

Regarding this comment ""HOW SELFISH!! I am surprised someone wants to marry someone who doesn't think of anyone but himself. Harsh yes, true, YES!!

To think that you care more about seeing panama than whether or not other people have to suffer the same way as you just did just makes me furious.

I say write a letter to Carnival and tell them exactly who you are so they can ban you from all their lines. I hope you don't cruise again!""

How can you say something like that without even knowing me. I am one of the most caring, compassionate people I know. I have given my life to this girl, whom I have known since Kindergarten by the way, and I plan to take care of her the rest of my life. Although I am not financially independent yet, or living on my own, I still do everything possible to make sure she's happy.

It makes me SICK that you are trying to judge me like that. Yes, I am cruising again, and yes, it will be with Carnival. They would never "ban" a customer who got sick on their boat and then got off at a port 24 hours later. That is insane.

I am at a loss of words, I can't really think right now because it's late, but I am disgusted with how rude some of you are.

JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR AGAIN, I did not "roam" the ship; I was physically uncapable of doing so. The next day, when I felt better, I got off in Panama because that's the reason I chose this itinerary. I now regret that I did because I guess it's spread more easily than I was told, but that was not the point of this thread in the first place. I can't afford to lose two days of a cruise that I had saved up three monthes for, so I was simply wondering if anybody had a similar experience.

Thanks to the ones who helped and provided knowledge instead of degrading me, and for those that did that, I sure hope I am never on a sailing with any of you.

Shane and Kaleigh

[quote name='davethomasowns']

That morning, feeling much better I went to Panama because I felt like it. I paid for it and I still think I should be able to get off if I want.

YOU HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME ATTITUDE AS THE GUY WHO FLEW BACK FROM EUROPE TO THE USA WITH A KNOWN AND MAJOR CASE OF VERY INFECTIOUS TB BECAUSE HE WANTED TO GET BACK TO THE US AND DID NOT WANT TO BE QUARANTEND (SP?) IN EUROPE - POTENTIALLY INFECTING A PLANE LOAD OF PASSENGERS

Once again, I repeat, I did not travel the ship. I only got off in Panama.

CAN I ASSUME THAT YOU LEVITATED OFF THE SHIP W/O PASSING THROUGH ANY AREAS OF THE SHIP OR COMING NEAR ANY PASSENGERS OR TOUCHING A SINGLE SURFACE ON THE SHIP?

Even if it's not their fault completely, I still feel that a company that large should do something to make the customer happy.

IF YOU GOT SICK ON DAY 1, YOU BROUGHT IT ON THE SHIP WITH YOU.

They would never "ban" a customer who got sick on their boat and then got off at a port 24 hours later. That is insane.

YOU DID NOT GET SICK ON THE SHIP - YOU ONLY FIRST SHOWED SYMPTOMS ON THE SHIP.

[/quote]

It is clear that you still do not understand what you did or you do not care.

DON

[quote name='davethomasowns']
Maybe instead of telling me to put pills under my tounge and go to sleep, they should have explained to me more about the virus. I still don't understand how it spreads. Admittedly, I thought it was only through physical contact.
[/QUOTE]

Did you ask questions? Seriously - did you ask the doctor why you were being quarantined when he told you not to leave your stateroom? If you didn't know how something you had spread, why didn't you ask for further information? I know that if I were sick with something, and I didn't understand anything about it, I would ask questions, and I wouldn't take it upon myself to make a decision that might compromise my own health, let alone anyone else's...

If you have been reading on these boards over the last few months, then I'm sure you have seen postings about Norovirus... and the fact that Norovirus spreads like wildfire on cruise ships.

Sorry if you feel that you have been slighted - but we are all cruisers here, and we are all horrified over the thought that there is a chance that we could be cruising with someone who is as ignorant of the rules as you are. And I'm sorry - but it's ignorance. If you don't know something, ask. And if you don't get a satisfactory answer, ask again. Even if you don't have the presence of mind to ask the question when you're feeling like crap, ask it when you're feeling better, to make sure you have the all clear to move around the ship.

If you were quarantined, it was for a reason. The immaturity comes in by not bothering to follow up to see if you were free not to be quarantined.

[quote name='trock']Do you think HIPPA laws apply on board? the ship is a floating petre dish.. i am sorry this couple got ill but they were selfish not to follow the rules..

I dont understand his statement that his girlfriend slept most of the day off the ship?? I have to reread this...[/quote]

No, HIPPA laws do not apply on board the ship.

HIPPA laws do not legally apply to any medical facility which has two or less practicing physicians in any type of specialty. Most small practices will apply them as a gesture of goodwill, but are not legally required to do so. As far as I recall (and I could be wrong) there is usually only one physician on board; maybe two.

Also, I'm pretty sure that HIPPA laws would not be applicable anyhow because the ships are not flagged under the good ol' US of A.

(I'm a Health Information Management major. I know my HIPPA inside, outside, forwards, and backwards! lol :) )

To the OP:

No one can ever really "afford" to get sick on vacation. If the cruise line was to compensate everyone who came down with an illness while on the ship, they'd be broke in 6 months flat. There have been passengers who have passed away on ships before. Do they (and their families) get compensation? You can't plan your health status, nor realistically expect compensation when it goes awry.

I am sorry that you got ill while on your trip (that sucks!), but if you had gotten sick while attending classes in college, for example, would you expect that the college would allow two days of tuition refunded? It just doesn't work like that.

Archived