underwater camera

Good to know... how was the quality of the underwater photos?

This is one of my favorite pic I took on our Liberty of the Seas cruise in November the pool - but I also got great shots on land and in the Caribbean! I have the 790SW and love it!

wpcruise068.jpg

PLEASE forgive me for taking liberties with your photo. I know that is it considered very bad manners for someone to edit someone else's image, but I couldn't help myself. Your photo of your DD does benefit from a little color correction from Photoshop Elements.

This is one of my favorite pic I took on our Liberty of the Seas cruise in November the pool - but I also got great shots on land and in the Caribbean! I have the 790SW and love it!

wpcruise068.jpg

Edited:

PSE.jpg

^

for the camera i have a housing would cost more than the olympus underwater camera and i'd be super paranoid about a leak or losing my camera etc.

for the person who asked about the disposable underwater cameras, I purchased one and used it on an AI land vacation last year and it worked well underwater, but the photos quality was not good at all.

^

for the camera i have a housing would cost more than the olympus underwater camera and i'd be super paranoid about a leak or losing my camera etc.

for the person who asked about the disposable underwater cameras, I purchased one and used it on an AI land vacation last year and it worked well underwater, but the photos quality was not good at all.

Ditto to this:mad:

We took tons of pics every trip with waterproof disposable and they take great pictures. I believe mine have always been Kodak brand and are sold everywhere like Walmart and other retail stores. As long as it's not really murky water (we had a bit of cloudiness with fresh water draining into the ocean in Jamaica right along shore) but otherwise snorkel pics turn out really nice in the water from these cameras.

mbtaz

Yes, it is a small world. Maybe you are our neighbor, South Hudson?

I think it is all of matter of how much you want/need in underwater pictures.

We took some in Grand Cayman of the sting rays that were unbelievable. I do not want to risk a problem with my digital nor do I want to pay the prices for a casing.

Yes, with a disposable camera you get disposable pictures, but all I need to relive the memories is that picture.

Maybe it is just us but I would rather lose $10 than my good camera as a previos poster said AND have more to spend on other things......like more cruising!

Our Olympus Stylus takes awesome pictures underwater and on land. The one caveat I have is to read the manual thoroughly before you use it. There are many settings to help with exposure and color adjustment for getting the best underwater pictures, and it's good to know how to do this stuff ahead of time instead of trying to fumble around with it while you're floating around in the water! :)

We used a Fuji disposable underwater camera when we went swimming with the dolphins a few months ago. The Dolphin Discovery people always try to sell you their video and pictures at the end of the excursion. We declined to buy their pictures since we had brought the Fuji camera with us and had used it.

Well, the pictures came out horrible. It looks like water somehow got inside the lens, and the pictures have big white spots right in the middle of the pictures. I was a photo manager for years so I know it was water on the lens. I almost cried when I saw them. I have maybe 1 good picture, and the rest are no good. I like their film for my 35mm camera, but I'll never use their underwater camera again. :mad:

We used a Fuji disposable underwater camera when we went swimming with the dolphins a few months ago. The Dolphin Discovery people always try to sell you their video and pictures at the end of the excursion. We declined to buy their pictures since we had brought the Fuji camera with us and had used it.

Well, the pictures came out horrible. It looks like water somehow got inside the lens, and the pictures have big white spots right in the middle of the pictures. I was a photo manager for years so I know it was water on the lens. I almost cried when I saw them. I have maybe 1 good picture, and the rest are no good. I like their film for my 35mm camera, but I'll never use their underwater camera again. :mad:

that stinks! i know what a horrible feeling that is..the housing we have for our olympus works great, takes terrific pic's, never had a problem w/ leakage. you do need to remember to wipe off any waterdrops/smudges on the INSIDE of the housing lens. all of our underwater shots from st. thomas had a big blur in the middle....oh well, just another reason to have to go back i guess!! :rolleyes:

We unfortunately had to cancel our last cruise :frown: but I was planning to bring a Hero 3 which takes both stills and video (with sound) and accepts a 2 Gig Sd memory card. It got good reviews in the photo mags and is lightweight, attaches to your wrist and pivots. Costs $139 currently

I can get the 1030 SW from Sams for $369, sounds okay with me, but I will still look around the net and see if there is a better price. But in looking at the specs, etc, it comes with a battery and charger, right? And if this camera is waterproof to 33 ft, why do they make a housing that is waterproof to 40 meters? Just something I didn't understand and thought someone here could explain that to me. Do you think that it is worth the $20 for that red strap thing, just so that it would be easier to see in the water? Just thinking ahead, is all. And do you just use xD cards? I have only used Kodak's before and they have only ever required SD cards so I want to make sure that I buy the right stuff. Thanks for all of your help!!!

PLEASE forgive me for taking liberties with your photo. I know that is it considered very bad manners for someone to edit someone else's image, but I couldn't help myself. Your photo of your DD does benefit from a little color correction from Photoshop Elements.

Edited:

PSE.jpg

What a difference! It really is startling what a little photo editing can do. :)

Photoshop is a wonderful tool, but for those that may find it to be a bit too pricey, or don't need something as advanced, PhotoImpact X3 may be a good option. I use this for all of my photos, and its $69.99 price tag vs. $299.00 for Photoshop Lightroom or $649 for Photoshop CS3 is hard to beat. For the family photos that I take it is far more than adequate, and with some of its one click adjustments it is fairly easy to make significant improvements pretty quickly. They also have a try before you buy program, where you can download the full version of the software to try it for 30 days. :cool:

And if this camera is waterproof to 33 ft, why do they make a housing that is waterproof to 40 meters? Just something I didn't understand and thought someone here could explain that to me.

I didn't look into it too much but 33 ft is ok for snorkeling but if you scuba 33 ft isn't going to be good enough. Since the camera is only waterproof to 33 ft I assume they make the housing thats good to 40 meters (130 feet) for scuba.

What a difference! It really is startling what a little photo editing can do. :)

Photoshop is a wonderful tool, but for those that may find it to be a bit too pricey, or don't need something as advanced, PhotoImpact X3 may be a good option. I use this for all of my photos, and its $69.99 price tag vs. $299.00 for Photoshop Lightroom or $649 for Photoshop CS3 is hard to beat. For the family photos that I take it is far more than adequate, and with some of its one click adjustments it is fairly easy to make significant improvements pretty quickly. They also have a try before you buy program, where you can download the full version of the software to try it for 30 days. :cool:

Photoshop Elements is about the same price as PhotoImpact X3.

I didn't look into it too much but 33 ft is ok for snorkeling but if you scuba 33 ft isn't going to be good enough. Since the camera is only waterproof to 33 ft I assume they make the housing thats good to 40 meters (130 feet) for scuba.
That is exactly the reason.

Has anybody had any luck with the disposable underwater cameras? ARe any better than others? I know they won't give near the quality that "real" cameras do but I can't afford to buy a new camera for this trip.

I have had great pictures with a the disposable Kodak underwater camera. I used them in Jamaica and Hawaii and it took better pictures than the digital camera I had at the time!

Hi just wondered if anyone has tried the new digital underwater camera from Walmart. It takes 200 pics and is good for both land and underwater. It is good for up to 50ft underwater. I am from Canada and have only noticed them in a few of the Walmarts. Here it costs $25. Not a bad price.

OK, you convinced me to buy Photoshop Elements! And I have been happy with it. I downloaded that same picture to see if I could edit it to get somewhat similar results to yours and sure enough with a few click in the Guided option, I got it.

I have been playing around with the underwater pictures I took with my Olympus SP550UZ and its housing and some of it is coming out a bit better. I'll just have to keep fiddling around with it. Some of the pictures are a dark blue, and some are just not all that great. :(

Thanks, Bruce!

Archived