Off of Radiance Today

Just returned from 6 day western on Radiance. Definite positives and negatives! Cabin steward was great as usual, fun Captain, Cruise Director Kirk was better than most, Nachi Cocum in Cozumel was amazing -- the best beach day we've ever had! The Conceirge, Willy was wonderful-- he even did a mini concert for us one night in the Conceirge club. He plays the guitar and sings. On the negative side, In our 33 RCCL cruises we've never had such bad dining service -- that includes Seaview and Chops! Luck of the draw I guess -- we usually have excellent service. Food was also well below average (yes, even Chops). We've come to realize that although the menu never changes much, the food is very different from one ship to the next depending on the chef. On another subject, we signed up for the luggage valet service. At 9:40 NO luggage tags had been called except for walk off......so we walked off anyway since we had an 11:30 flight. We got out to the truck to deposit our luggage and they wouldn't take it -- too late! So now we have to try and get our $20.00 a person refunded -- great! All in all it was a fun cruise, unfortunately, we really look forward to our evening dining and were really dreading it by the end of the cruise. Maybe next time..........and of course there will be a next time!

Just returned from 6 day western on Radiance. Definite positives and negatives! Cabin steward was great as usual, fun Captain, Cruise Director Kirk was better than most, Nachi Cocum in Cozumel was amazing -- the best beach day we've ever had! The Conceirge, Willy was wonderful-- he even did a mini concert for us one night in the Conceirge club. He plays the guitar and sings. On the negative side, In our 33 RCCL cruises we've never had such bad dining service -- that includes Seaview and Chops! Luck of the draw I guess -- we usually have excellent service. Food was also well below average (yes, even Chops). We've come to realize that although the menu never changes much, the food is very different from one ship to the next depending on the chef. On another subject, we signed up for the luggage valet service. At 9:40 NO luggage tags had been called except for walk off......so we walked off anyway since we had an 11:30 flight. We got out to the truck to deposit our luggage and they wouldn't take it -- too late! So now we have to try and get our $20.00 a person refunded -- great! All in all it was a fun cruise, unfortunately, we really look forward to our evening dining and were really dreading it by the end of the cruise. Maybe next time..........and of course there will be a next time!

So glad to hear that parts of your cruise on Radiance went well. Glad that Willie gave you his mini concert.......he is the best. Capt. Trym is a wonderful person.

Sorry that the food wasn't up to par. Maybe they were having a bad week. If you were not happy with the food at the SeaView Cafe, you should have voiced your displeasure to Chantal Selvag the Windjammer Manager who also oversees the SV. I think you will find, however, that the food issue is a common complaint on many ships. Guess they must be trying to cut corners..............which is not making the pax very happy.

Were there problems with clearing the ship before disembarkation began? This can always cause a problem...........C&I and those that do not want to pay their final SeaPass Account always hold up clearance. I would call C&A and tell them that even though you signed up for the service you were not able to use it. They should have a record of it.

Hopefully your next cruise will be better.............just remember a bad cruise is still better than a good day at work.............I think that's how it goes!:p

Is the cruise director "Kirk" Kirk Detweiler?? He was the CD on our past 2 RCCL cruises. He got on our nerves by the end of our one cruise, and then we went on our next only to have him again. I had heard he had left RCCL. We are cruising on Radiance next week, so I guess it's fate that we would have him for 3 RCCL cruises in a row!

Is the cruise director "Kirk" Kirk Detweiler?? He was the CD on our past 2 RCCL cruises. He got on our nerves by the end of our one cruise, and then we went on our next only to have him again. I had heard he had left RCCL. We are cruising on Radiance next week, so I guess it's fate that we would have him for 3 RCCL cruises in a row!

Yes, it is Kirk Detweiler that is the CD on Radiance. He took over Kieron Buffrey's job when Kieron was transferred to Navigator last fall.......and that was one bad move by RCI IMHO.

We all thought the food on the Radiance last week was great. We had room service, ate at the Windjammer, Seaview, and the dining room. Our waiters were fantastic; a little reserved on the first night, but we thought that was natural. Every day got better and our waiter gave us his suggestions for dinner every night and never steered us wrong. The key lime pie the last night was simply the best!

We liked Kirk and the Capt. Capt. just got on the microphone and yapped on and on like he was just talking to us in person. He was funny too. We thought Kirk really worked hard and even sang "We're gonna rock this boat" the first night. Not a bad singer either!

Our room steward was pretty much non-existent though. Saw him the first night and perhaps twice throughout the week. Didn't even see him the last morning which I thought was unusual.

Debarkation seemed to take a while to call the colours. Even the staff in the Windjammer where a lot of us waited remarked that there must be a problem, and they were a bit concerned because our delay in leaving put them behind in getting ready for the next bunch.

We found all the staff to be very friendly and we had a fabulous cruise. It was our first RCCL experience, but definitely won't be our last. We bought a future cruise credit as did our friends.

Wow - we were on the same cruise and thought the food was great! We ate everywhere except for Chops. I must say though, I was a little disappointed by the Seaview Cafe - wasn't quite as good as I expected. But, the dining room and Portofino really impressed us, as did our waitstaff.

This being my first RCCL cruise, the only improvement I would like to see made in the food is offering more variety in the non-meat/seafood selections. I don't care for seafood or red meat and I found the options to be kind of plain. On a Carnival cruise a year ago, the vegetarian selections were very exotic and tasty...but I wouldn't switch back to Carnival just for that!

I thought Kirk and Spice were quite funny, but we didn't do a whole lot of ship activities on board that allowed him to get on our nerves. The captain was HILARIOUS - he'd just gab gab gab when he got on the speaker. Some of the crew even joked about it with us.

I thought part of the disembarkation hold up were the people who weren't reporting for exceeding the customs limits and those who needed to pay their seapass accounts. They seemed to call those names over and over. Honestly, disembarkation took longer than I thought it would. We did the express walk-off and were out around 10am.

We are having a great time!

Our first day at sea was so relaxing.

Oh my, Portofinos was wonderful last night!

Our first night in the DR the food was not too great, but hubby sent back something and thought the prime rib was much better.

Our Grand Suite is fantastic. The concierge lounge is SO crowded everynight for predinner cocktails.Willie works hard !

More to come, but I just wanted to say hello!

We arrive in SanJuan in a few hours.

Oh, I was dissappointed to find out that we could NOT get a free cookie from the coffee bar.......we were told they are only given out if you purchase a coffee.

Also of note, Royal Carrib charges 12 dollars a guest if you want gratuities onto your seapass. I am not sure if that is new, or maybe I just noticed it.

Yes, it is Kirk Detweiler that is the CD on Radiance. He took over Kieron Buffrey's job when Kieron was transferred to Navigator last fall.......and that was one bad move by RCI IMHO.

I absolutely agree! I seems we are destined to have Kirk as our CD no matter which ship we sail on. If he shows up on Independence this summer, I may have to jump!

Also of note, Royal Carrib charges 12 dollars a guest if you want gratuities onto your seapass. I am not sure if that is new, or maybe I just noticed it.

We had the gratuities added to our sail pass last week and it was $58.50 pp for six days = $9.75 per day.

We had the gratuities added to our sail pass last week and it was $58.50 pp for six days = $9.75 per day.

Not positive as we haven't done the automatic tipping, but I believe the gratuities they add are higher if you're in a suite. We have tipped more in suites.

We all thought the food on the Radiance last week was great. We had room service, ate at the Windjammer, Seaview, and the dining room. Our waiters were fantastic; a little reserved on the first night, but we thought that was natural. Every day got better and our waiter gave us his suggestions for dinner every night and never steered us wrong. The key lime pie the last night was simply the best!

We liked Kirk and the Capt. Capt. just got on the microphone and yapped on and on like he was just talking to us in person. He was funny too. We thought Kirk really worked hard and even sang "We're gonna rock this boat" the first night. Not a bad singer either!

Our room steward was pretty much non-existent though. Saw him the first night and perhaps twice throughout the week. Didn't even see him the last morning which I thought was unusual.

Debarkation seemed to take a while to call the colours. Even the staff in the Windjammer where a lot of us waited remarked that there must be a problem, and they were a bit concerned because our delay in leaving put them behind in getting ready for the next bunch.

We found all the staff to be very friendly and we had a fabulous cruise. It was our first RCCL experience, but definitely won't be our last. We bought a future cruise credit as did our friends.

We just returned from a 6 night leaving 3/24 -

Food in the Windjammer was just fine - no complaints and even the coffee was great.

Never had a problem getting a free cookie at Latitudes.

Dining room was an 8 on a scale of 10 - adequate but nothing to write home to Mom about except for the cold soups and Key Lime Pie.

Chops was a 12 - our friends ( first time cruisers were just blown away by the quality and service there.

Our Grand Suite is fantastic.

When you use the prepaid gratuities on your Seapass account the cabin steward gets $5.75/day/person when you are in a full suite or higher (above JS category) instead of $3.50 when in a regular stateroom. The total then is $12/day/person when in a suite instead of $9.75 otherwise.

What luck, you didn't care fo the CD and now you have him for the third time in a row!

You know what they say....

PLAY ON !

When you use the prepaid gratuities on your Seapass account the cabin steward gets $5.75/day/person when you are in a full suite or higher (above JS category) instead of $3.50 when in a regular stateroom. The total then is $12/day/person when in a suite instead of $9.75 otherwise.

Geesh I wonder why they do that? Perhaps they think that the room steward has to work harder because it's a larger area that they would have to clean and look after? That would make sense.

Hello fourowdys,

As I recall, your were the two couples who were usually to my right in the lounge; and, one of you worked for the IRS for 32 years; and, you booked a cabin on the Solstice.

We will be departing on the Millennium in a couple of weeks; and, we are contemplating switching one of our 2009 Constellation cruises to the Solstice; hence, we would be most appreciative of your observations, particularly with regard to the amenities etc., in the aqua class.

Thank you-Jack Diamond

I was thinking of him as Eddie Haskell on our Radiance cruise in September, LOL! He's very talented and seems to work like a dog, he's just not my cup of tea as far as CDs go - I like them to be more understated.

I think Radiance's dining room is one of the worst we've encountered for food. Service was top-notch on our 2004 cruise and was so bad last year that we only ate in there 3 nights, opting for the fabulous Windjammer or Chops/Portofino instead. Fortunately the other venues ensured that we didn't lose any weight!:rolleyes:

DH and I were on the Radiance in September. We only ate in the dining room twice, and opted for the WJ after that. We were our waiter's only table for two, and neither he, nor his ass't, seemed to have much time for us. Sometimes we never even had water or bread. Since then, we have divided our evening meals between Chops, Portofino, and the WJ. We set our own dining time, and have better control over after-dinner entertainment. :)

I was thinking of him as Eddie Haskell on our Radiance cruise in September, LOL! He's very talented and seems to work like a dog, he's just not my cup of tea as far as CDs go - I like them to be more understated.

I think Radiance's dining room is one of the worst we've encountered for food. Service was top-notch on our 2004 cruise and was so bad last year that we only ate in there 3 nights, opting for the fabulous Windjammer or Chops/Portofino instead. Fortunately the other venues ensured that we didn't lose any weight!:rolleyes:

Eddie Haskell - LOL!!! Great way to describe him! I agree - I don't need a CD who's going 150% all the time when I'm there to relax. Just seems like he tries to hard at times.

I hope the food we have next week is better than you experienced last year on Radiance - I'll report when we get back.

We were just on this sailing, too, and had a good experience with the dining room & our waiters -- did not have any bad meals! Though when food is being served to 2000 people, we don't expect a 5-star quality..... Did eat in Portofino's one night, thought the food was excellent but our waiter only adequate (not outstanding as we expected). Wondering if it was because we did not order any wine. We also enjoyed the Seaview Cafe for late lunches on a couple of the port days.

As far as Kirk, the CD -- his "How ya doin'?" schtick got a little old, but we only saw him at the production shows, which we really liked (I'm a sucker for kids singing and dancing their hearts out). The nice thing about cruising is that if there's something you don't like, there's usually something else to do, or you can choose to do nothing. We just liked to kick back & play cribbage on our balcony in the late afternoon :-)

Disembarkation -- did seem to take awhile to get it going, but we still were off the ship shortly after 10 without doing express walk-off, and at the airport soon after 11.

All in all, beautiful ship (although ready for some refurbishing) in the size (class?) that we prefer, would definitely go on it again.

Archived