Has anyone sailed on Carnival?

foilman2002

My wife and I sailed on the Carnival Legend a year ago and had a fantastic time. Our friends recently came back from the RCL ship Voyager of the Seas and had a fantastic time. They are booking again in June and asking us to go with them. Looking at the price difference, I am choking.

I am not trying to start a flame war, but has anyone sailed on Carnival, and is the price difference warranted? I'm posting this on the Carnival board too, in order to get balanced opinions.

Thanks

Larry

I think he's referring to the fact that RCCL is often more expensive. My family and I have sailed on both lines and loved them both. We got a super deal on our Jewel cruise this year and it was only slightly more than what we paid for the Victory last year so we grabbed it. Personally we would sail either of the lines again in a heartbeat depending on the deal and the itinerary. We find the service levels and amenities very comparable between the two lines. You will get very differing opinions with regards to this question on these boards. Keep an open mind. All that being said, if you are considering paying a bit extra to sail on a Voyager class ship, in my opinion there's nothing else like them on the seas and everyone should try one at least once. Happy cruise shopping!

Been on both. I would not choose one over the other. If you go for the same age ship, along with the same price, they are very much alike. Both have things I like better than the other--but to say one is better---I really can't.

This past Thanksgiving when I was looking for a cruise, the Explorer was less expensive than the Spirit ( I think it was the Spirit---has been a while) so we went with Explorer.

I will tell you, if you book a regular room, not a suite, the Carnival rooms are quite a bit larger. I would not hesitate to book either, depending on the itinerary, the port, and of course, the price.

And before I am flamed---don't bother. I am happy to cruise, whether on a ten year old ship, or a brand new one. Give me some warm weather, sunshine, someone making my meals, someone making my bed, ---someone bringing me cocktails ---what more could you ask for?

Larry,

Honestly..... it really depends on what you want. There is nothing "wrong" with Carnival. I was on the Inspiration back in 2000. (With my ex-husband). My significant other and I now sail RCCL. I like RCCL MUCH better.

Personally I like the color schemes better on RCCL. I feel the ships are not as gaudy. Also the crew on all RCCL ships I have sailed have been a lot nicer than Carnival. The food to me was the same. The entertainment was about the same. The ports obviously are the same :) The middle of the night food options were a lot better on Carnival. The ship was also still hopping at 1am, where RCCL tends to die down around 11pm.

If given the choice of the same cruise on the same size ship. I would pick RCCL unless the price was a couple of hundred dollars less on Carnival.

We are trying Princess for the first time next month, and I am really excited about it. I can't wait to see what the cruise line is like.

If you are comparing say the Sensation to the Voyager then the price will probably be double (if not more). If you are comparing the Conquest to the Voyager, the price should be closer.

I hope this helps a little. I know this is a heated topic, but still in my mind a valid topic :) And what better place to get some great info on cruising than this board?

Happy planning!

Bobbie

We sailed on the Triumph in 2001 and were upgraded to a Jr suite. It was very nice. That time when pricing cruises, Carnival was much less expensive.

In 2003 we sailed on the Navigator, for about the same price as a comparable Carnival Cruise.. The one main difference to us was the casual dining "buffet" atmosphere of the Windjammer was so much nicer (in our opinion) than the casual buffet area on the Triumph. The Windjammer on RCCL ships is more like a restaurant. We ate there most of the time, as we liked it so well. Because of that, we will probably sail RCCL if the prices are somewhat the same. I like the décor on RCCL better too. Just my personal preference. Guests and crews were nice on both. Both are good in their own ways.

I asked much the same question on the carnival board and received no response. The fact that the question received a response here is to me an indication that RCCL people are more the kind of people I want to cruise with. We are going on our first cruise in Jan/Feb on EOS and it was a tough choice between that and the Valor. While I liked the itinerary for Valor better, the inline skating was the deciding factor for our 18 year old son. ;)

Su

I choose RCCL for a number of reasons but the most important to me is that they allow (and are super accomadating) to my service dog. Carnival will not allow me to travel with her because she is a medical response dog. After our last cruise with her specil needs people called me to let me know that the only service dogs that they allow are for loss of sight or hearing. RCCL is extremely good to me and my constant companion and can't help enough. Why would I go anywhere else?

We've been on Carnival 7 times, and once each on RCCL, Celebrity, and NCL. We went so many times on Carnival because of the itineraries they offered during the summer which is the only time we can cruise.

My family has felt that Carnival has steadily gone downhill in terms of their food and service. We thought the food and service was MUCH better on each of the other lines with Celebrity being our favorite. Last summer, my 16 year old said on the 2nd day of the cruise "No more Carnival" and we all agreed.

I checked both boards, and had a similar amount of responses, 9 from Carnival and 8 from RCL. Bobbiesu, I guess its the time the post was made. And the responses on both boards were very similar.

The itineraries are slightly different, the RCL cruise is a day longer, and both sailings are within 3 days of each other, but the price difference of around $300.00 per person isn't minimal in my mind. It breaks down to under $100.00 per person/day on Carnival and $133.00 per on RCL.

But, as I figured, it boils down to what a person wants, and where their priorities are. Different ships are good/bad at different times, so all things being equal, they are equal.

And no, we don't let little things bother us, we go to have an enjoyable time, and we are sure we would.

Again, thank you

Larry

We have been on Carnival 3 times, Holland America 2, Princess 1, Norweigien 1, and Rccl 2 times. Our last cruise was Sept 11,2004 Holland America to Alaska-/ March 2004 Carnival Pride Mexican riviera and prior/ Rccl -Voyager of the Seas April 2002. Although we had a good time on Carnival nothing in our opinion compares to the Voyager class ships. For as many passengers as these ships hold you never feel crowded. We loved going to Johnny Rockets, the separate ice cream station with all the toppings, the incredible shopping mall down the center of the ship on the promanade- and the two parades, the wonderful ice shows, entertainment, amazing towel animals, rock climbing wall, mini golf, inline skating trac, basket ball court - what other ship has these services? When Rccl says "like no vacation on earth" they mean it - the voyager class is well worth the $ spent. The best vacation we have ever had.

The itineraries are slightly different, the RCL cruise is a day longer, and both sailings are within 3 days of each other, but the price difference of around $300.00 per person isn't minimal in my mind. It breaks down to under $100.00 per person/day on Carnival and $133.00 per on RCL.
Oy! Those are so many differences that the price comparison is practically impossible. RCI's own prices vary that much. We're paying more (not more per day -- just plain MORE) for a 3-night Bahamas cruise than we would have paid for the 4-night Bahamas cruise just before the 3-night, on the same ship! Weekends are more expensive that weekdays.

We have been on Carnival 3 times, Holland America 2, Princess 1, Norweigien 1, and Rccl 2 times. Our last cruise was Sept 11,2004 Holland America to Alaska-/ March 2004 Carnival Pride Mexican riviera and prior/ Rccl -Voyager of the Seas April 2002. Although we had a good time on Carnival nothing in our opinion compares to the Voyager class ships. For as many passengers as these ships hold you never feel crowded. We loved going to Johnny Rockets, the separate ice cream station with all the toppings, the incredible shopping mall down the center of the ship on the promanade- and the two parades, the wonderful ice shows, entertainment, amazing towel animals, rock climbing wall, mini golf, inline skating trac, basket ball court - what other ship has these services? When Rccl says "like no vacation on earth" they mean it - the voyager class is well worth the $ spent. The best vacation we have ever had.

Amazing towel animals? The only line I know that does not do the towel animals is HAL-at least for us. Every other cruiseline always had towels animals every night. Now you are right about most the other things a voyager class ships offers but not towel animals. Most cruise ships have basketball courts too.

Hubby and I love Carnival and would not hesitate to sail them again in a heartbeat. We were not super-impressed with our RCCL cruise - but would give them another try if the price was right. We think the food on Carnival GREATLY exceeds the food on RCCL - but that is just personal preference!

Enjoy whatever cruise you decide on!

Karen

My wife and I have sailed 3 times on Carnival (Ecstacy, Imagination, Glory) and RCCL (Navigator and Mariner). We like both. They both have their own personalities.

The only prerequisite we have now really is that when we sail on Carnival, we only sail on Carnival's Spirit or Conquest Class ships. As someone mentioned earlier, some of Carnival's ship have a more gaudy decorative layout. We find that when you move up to the Spirit Class or the Conquest class this is not so much the case. Although I still wouldn't consider their decor as "classy" as the RCCL ships, sometimes we enjoy the "fun" decor as long as it's not gaudy.

RCCL's Voyager class has the ice skating, rock climbing, rollerblading, mini golf, etc., but Carnival seems to have more late night adult themed activities such as more late night adult comedy.

We like them both because they are different.

We have our fifth cruise booked for this January on the Valor. We started with Carnival, tried Celebrity, returned to Carnival, tried RCCL, and returned to Carnival. We had a great time on Celebrity and RCCL and would sail both lines again under the right circumstances. However, we return to Carnival for certain itineraries, the "fun" factor and PRICE. RCCL has the most beautiful ships, IMO, but when checking prices in January, we were looking at $300-400 more per couple to sail RCCL on a 7-day Eastern itinerary. The Valor, a brand new ship, was too good of a deal to pass up.

In our opinion RCCL and Carnival are pretty evenly matched. Carnival does some things better and vice versa. We just won't pay that much more for the RCCL experience but will wait for a "deal" to sail RCCL again.

Kelly

I enjoy Carnival more than RCCL. I had a pretty isolating experience on the Explorer of the Seas, my particular cruise the fellow passengers were not outgoing at all, and I felt like I was hanging out in a Mall for the week. I've cruised 4 different lines over my 10 cruises, I keep coming back to CCL for the people I meet.

RCCL definitely designs nicer ships and has better buffets, entertainment is compariable (although it goes into the night way longer on Carnival) and I give a slight nod to CCL in the main dining room. The Ice Show was pretty good on the Explorer of the Seas, something you don't get on Carnival. Also, single rates are much better on Carnival, seems like RCCL doesn't want singles on their cruises.

That said I may spring for Celebrity next cruise: The Cirque du Soleil experience is enough for me to give them a try (Once it's rolled out on a few ships)

I found CCL & RCI very similar, both wonderful. The food was very good on both lines. Service was also friendly and attentive. Carnival had larger cabins in comparable categories, barring suites, but RCL uses cabin space more wisely. RCL wins out on ship's decor and layout.

It's my opinion that you'll have a terrific cruise on either line. Whichever you choose, keep an open mind and have a great cruise.

Great to see that everyone can share their experiences without ducking incoming bombs.

We loved our experience on Carnival's Legend, however we also loved Celebrity's Century (sorry no towel animals on Celebrity either). I bet that we will also love our upcoming Princess (Carribean) cruise.

Next on the agenda will be an RCL ship. And if I were a betting man somehow (unless it's hurrican season) I'd betcha were going to love our RCL experience too.

Common thread for us is the love for cruising. We liken it to 'Bits n Bites' - every ship and every cruiseline is a whole new ballgame.................

I have been on Carnival the most, but have also traveled on Celebrity and RCCL. I choose based on the itinerary and price.. and to be honest, I love Carnival's party atmospher. They are great with kids too. We are going on the Serenade next week--we choose RCCL because of the 11 night Hawaii itinerary, and we got a great deal with reduced air from Detroit.. A cruise is what you make of it! Have a great time!!

We also loved both Carnival and RCI. This summer on Grandeur O.T.S. there were more kids than we ever saw on Carnival. We travel with our kids but they are both young adults at this point. If we had to choose based on everything put price we would lean towards Carnival. The food and entertainment was better and they also had something to eat late night every night. However, the cruise staff was less corny on RCI.

What I was refering to as amazing towel animals - is our cabin steward on Rccl went out of his way to amaze us with using articles we left in our room from putting sunglasses on the monkey with a baseball cap ect. I've never had another cruise line do that and Holland America does not do it at all. We

have never seen basket ball courts as large as they are on the voyager class ships- the smaller cruise ships do not have this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The Voyager is still voted our best cruise ever.

Archived