15 Day trip to Egypt - the travel notes, by Seafun

seafun

Congratulations on surviving one of the hardest parts of the trip -- the days before you go! :)

I'm excited for you and I'm sure you'll have an unforgettable trip. I got home just about exactly a year ago, and the memories of all I saw and did still replay in my mind every day.

I'm sure by now you are convinced to take lots of photos and jot down as many notes as you can. And we'll look forward to whatever you have to share with us when you get back.

It has been great fun listening to your building excitement and trying to help answer your questions. May you enjoy the trip of a lifetime! :D

Well, I'm all packed! Finshed my backpack this morning. Seems like Saturday is a life time away, although I know it will get here quickly. We fly Knoxville to Charlotte to Jfk, with a long layover before flying out to Cairo. I am so excited I can barely sit still. My family and friends are all in a tizzy because of what happened two days ago, but I refuse to let fear rule. Then, the terrorists win.

We have a free day in Cairo and I hired a private guide to take us around the Islamic part of Cairo, which shoudl be fascinating. As a surprise to my mom, my guide has made reservations for us at a restaurant in Giza, where we can see the sun set over the pyramids. She has no idea that I did this and I can't wait to see her face.

I know that my blog won't be half as interesting and fun to read as Seafun's, but I will do my best when I get back on March 23.

Have a WONDERFUL time ! We'll wait with baited breath for your full report.

Hi, I am leaving for 11 nights Egypt trip with the tour in 2 weeks and I am glad to came across this thread. Do you have any advice of do and don't or beware of for this trip?

Specially at the site along the Nile Cruise.

LS.

I would suggest sitting down and reading this thread from the beginning -- we've gone over so many recommendations and suggestions and warnings.

Maybe jot down some notes as you go, or print up parts that sound useful to you.

Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

It shouldn't be much longer before a few people get back home and they'll hopefully be letting us know how their trips went by posting on this thread.

But if you're craving more information to read on the Gate 1 Egypt trips, may I remind you of the "other" excellent thread -- over on the trip advisor site...

Here's the link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294200-i9124-k1624311-Gate_1_travel_s_15_day_Egypt_with_Red_Sea-Egypt.html

Much of the information is similar, but once you've got that Egypt bug in you, lol, you want to devour anything you can find before you get on that plane for Egypt! :D

Edited by seafun

Seafun, really enjoyed your journal - we are leaving soon with Gate 1 - 15 days and I would like to know if you did the Ramses King of the Nile cruise? If so do they take credit card for tippings on the boat and also if you buy drinks etc...? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey guys!

Am still in Egypt - leaving for Cairo in the morning and Amman on Saturday. Have kept detailed notes to share later, but I will share that I\ve been in bed for the last two days with Pharoah's Revenge. I even had the pleasure of meeting an Egyptian Doctor :) But I'm on the mend and ready to move on to my next adventure!

Seafun, my notes are not as engrossing as yours, but I can definitely understand your coments better now!

Talk to you in a couple of weeks!

Another victim of Pharaoh's Revenge -- Very sorry to hear that. But I'm glad you're on the mend.

It sounds like you're going to bounce back and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Thanks for checking in! :) And we'll look forward to hearing all about it when you get home.

I wish you a SPEEDY and FULL recovery so you can keep soaking in all the wonderful new sights and experiences!

• 2 weeks later...

tnsauerkraut -- have you burst from all the wonderful sights you've seen, lol. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have tales to tell??

I was driving home from work today and heard an ad on the car radio promoting travel and tourism in Egypt. (Almost drove into another car in shock. :eek: )

I've never heard a radio ad promoting Egypt before -- "the mysteries of Egypt, the pyramids and ageless wonders, the splendid temples, swimming in the Red Sea, St. Catherine's monastery and Mt. Sinai, traveling the Nile by riverboat..."

It reminded me of my trip and made me want to return immediately!

But for the time being, I'm happy with taking my semi-annual trip to Hawaii at the end of this week. Two weeks of sun should bake some of the winter out of me! :D

Hope you are all doing well...

Sorry I haven't posted sooner! Got home Saturday night and straight back to work on Monday and haven't slowed down since. My jet lag hasn't even caught up with me! :)

I am working on my blog and my pictures and hope to have them ready within a week. As soon as it's done, will let you know.

Seafun, all I can say was you were right! Even with Mummy's Tummy, it was the most incredible trip ever! Stay tuned - it won't be as colorful as yours, but it's comprehensive!

So you're headed for Hawaii! I'm jealous! Hubby and I are going in OCtober for my birthday to Kauai for a week. We've rented a house on a plantation - private pool, etc. It will be his first time in Hawaii and my first since the 80s, so I am really looking forward to it. I have a feeling that it will turn into a favorite spot for us! The only problem is since we live on the East Coast, airfare is a huge issue. This time we're using frequent flyer miles, thank goodness, because we don't have a private trust fund.

Glad to hear that the Mummy Tummy didn't slow you down TOO much.

Sorry to hear you had to go back to work immediately, but, after all, it's that pesky four-letter word (work) that allows us to travel! :D

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to reading your notes and seeing your pictures when you get them ready to share.

Oh, and Welcome Home! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I haven't posted sooner! Got home Saturday night and straight back to work on Monday and haven't slowed down since. My jet lag hasn't even caught up with me! :)

I am working on my blog and my pictures and hope to have them ready within a week. As soon as it's done, will let you know.

Seafun, all I can say was you were right! Even with Mummy's Tummy, it was the most incredible trip ever! Stay tuned - it won't be as colorful as yours, but it's comprehensive!

So you're headed for Hawaii! I'm jealous! Hubby and I are going in OCtober for my birthday to Kauai for a week. We've rented a house on a plantation - private pool, etc. It will be his first time in Hawaii and my first since the 80s, so I am really looking forward to it. I have a feeling that it will turn into a favorite spot for us! The only problem is since we live on the East Coast, airfare is a huge issue. This time we're using frequent flyer miles, thank goodness, because we don't have a private trust fund.

Can't wait for the blog and pictures - We leave for Egypt shortly - getting excited -

OK, that wasn't a tease...I promise! However, when I started reading back over my blog, I realized that I also have a lot of history of the place and interesting facts that are not really a review, so I don't know if I feel comfortable posting it here.

However, it is, in its entirety, on my website, along with pictures that I'm still uploading. The website address is marionstravels.shutterfly.com

For those who are coming to this thread late, I just returned from a three week trip with Grand Circle TRavel to Egypt and Jordan.

I hope this will work for everyone. And, please don't expect the quality we got with Seafun's review!

By the way, Seafun, hope you're enjoying Hawaii!

Hey there. I'm planning on taking the same trip from GCT next year, including the Jordan extension (hopefully). Did have a few questions, including some for those who are heading out soon on their trip.

Was it worth the 3 hour trip each way to Abu Simbel?

Any complaints about the Anuket as far as noise and diesel fumes?

What kind of tips for the guides--for regular tours and for the optional tours?

Any unexpected expenses?

Was the optional trip to Alexandria worth the time--it says on the train in the literature, but not much more detail as to the travel methods?

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Thanks so much to those who have posted their reviews, blogs and photos. I've read them all.

Was it worth the 3 hour trip each way to Abu Simbel? Absolutely!

Any complaints about the Anuket as far as noise and diesel fumes? We were on the bottom deck at the front and I have no complaints at all. The ship is new and is one of the best on the Nile..trust me on that!

What kind of tips for the guides--for regular tours and for the optional tours? You have the same program director for all tours and they will give you a sheet with the recommeded amount to tip the program director, as well as your driver. It's so much per day, and I can't remember excatly how much it was.

Any unexpected expenses? Some meals, alcoholic drinks aboard the ship and anything you may want to buy.

Was the optional trip to Alexandria worth the time--it says on the train in the literature, but not much more detail as to the travel methods? I didn't go to Alexandria. We hired a private guide and went to Dashour and some other places in Cairo. Some people loved Alexandria-talked about how beautiful it was, and others say it was not worth the lng train ride and bus ride back, so that will have to be your decision. You take a train there and a bus back.

Hope that helps!

Let me say one more thing....if you are used to traveling for long periods of time, this should be no problem. HOwever, please be aware that if you are not, the egypt and JOrdan trip are three weeks and that can seem long to be away. NOt wanting to discourage you, but just be aware of that.

Thanks TNsauerkraut!!! I've read all I can about this trip and am awaiting further reviews from those going later this month.

I'm hoping for the Jordan extension, but it will depend on the $$$ I can come up with for it. Should be able to swing the regular trip. Just didn't want any financial surprises.

I am used to long trips--did a 19 day trip to China in 2007, in addition to other trips in my life. Two to three weeks is a good length; over that is a bit much. I would probably take it easy in Cairo and not go to Alexandria; just go back to the Egyptian Museum. Major history and art history buff here.

Any further hints and tips from anyone would be appreciated!!1

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there. I'm planning on taking the same trip from GCT next year, including the Jordan extension (hopefully). Did have a few questions, including some for those who are heading out soon on their trip.

Was it worth the 3 hour trip each way to Abu Simbel?

Any complaints about the Anuket as far as noise and diesel fumes?

What kind of tips for the guides--for regular tours and for the optional tours?

Any unexpected expenses?

Was the optional trip to Alexandria worth the time--it says on the train in the literature, but not much more detail as to the travel methods?

I'm sure I'll think of more later. Thanks so much to those who have posted their reviews, blogs and photos. I've read them all.

We just returned from this trip a week ago, and the following are a few additional answers to your questions:

First, the time of the year turned-out to be good. The temperatures were perfect ... chilly in the morning, rising to high 70's later in the day.

Abu Simbel was definitely worth the effort. You will get an early wake-up call (before dawn) but will arrive at Abu Simbel around the time that the early visitors are leaving ... only small crowds for our visit. You will get back to the Anuket for late lunch. There is more than enough time to see everything while you are there.

Anuket: My recommendation is that you choose a cabin as far forward as possible. Engine noises are to be expected aboard a Motor Vessel (that's what MV stands for) while underway. Unfortunately, they must run generators continuously while at dock which are VERY noisy, with significant vibration. We had an aft cabin, and regretted it.

There were lots of comments about the number and cost of the optional tours. You can view this as an advantage ... you can opt out and save the money, spend it on something else, or just rest.

Related to this ... from our experience:

Alexandria: We skipped it ... many of the folks who went commented that the value was not there ... a long day.

Balloon Ride: This is only an hour, but worth it to us. The views are spectacular and we saw things we did not get to visit on the tours, albeit not up-close-and-personal.

Petra: Definitely take a donkey up to the Monastery. Lots of fun ... and you will realize how much work it would be to make the hike up there. The Monastery is quite nice ... carved out of the rock like the Treasury.

Have a nice trip!

Thanks Kane!!! A few more questions--did you stay at the Marriott? How was it?

I realize there are some early morning wake-ups, but did you feel rushed with the itinerary? I'm thinking of skipping Alexandria and doing another day at the museum in Cairo, but probably doing most of the other excursions.

How was the food on the meals that were included with the tours and on board ship--one possible travel companion is a vegetarian.

Anything you ran across on your own (not part of the tour) that is recommended?

Were the busses crowded on the tours?

Thanks again!

wanderinggirl, I didn't go to Alexandria, so take my comments with a grain of salt... :rolleyes:

I think you would be MUCH happier skipping Alexandria and, like you said, devoting much of that day to another whirl through the Egyptian Museum and/or other things to see in Cairo.

I'd personally kill for a full day to spend in the museum. :D

And remember that the better book shop is not the one at the Museum, but the one right across the (busy) street, with a much better selection of books, postcards, DVDs, etc.

I am thrilled to hear about your journey!

Gives me the thrill to plan your type of journey!

For now I have to settle on just one day in Alexandria, where I hope to see the Pyramids at Giza.

I'm just having alot of trouble finding a trusted and well recommended guide.

Please anyone with good or bad reviews with a guide or guide company...please contact me!

I would love to hear from you,

Maria