SD1 - March 16 to 23, 2008 Review

DisneyJen

Tuesday, March 18

We awoke in Marigot, St. Martin after one of the smoothest nights of sailing we have ever experienced on any ship. DH and I joked that we hoped that this wasn’t the calm before they storm.

We headed up to the Topside Breakfast where we were warmly greeted and shown to our favorite table in the aft corner on the main seating area. Adrian brought us our Mimosas while we reviewed the menu. DH opted for his traditional omelet while I went with the bagel with the works. The view was lovely as the sun was shining and the waters were relatively calm.

After our leisurely breakfast we headed back to the room to get for our 11 a.m. spa appointments. Originally we had booked our Swedish Massages for Monday since we were scheduled to be in St. John. When the itinerary was we changed we moved the appointments to the next day so that we could enjoy Culebrita.

After completing the requisite form, we were each shown to a treatment room where our masseuse made all the tension of the past few weeks melt away. We each used our 15-percent off coupon which is a nice perk for SeaDreamers. We were offered a cup of soothing tea (ginger for me and a hydrating tea for him). Totally relaxed we changed into our bathing suits and headed up to the Bali bed for an afternoon of reading and socializing.

The seas started to pick up a bit so Capt. Berg picked up the anchor and expertly maneuvered us into a newly constructed pier. Friends of ours who were on island and that the time said they were quite surprised to arrive at the tender area only to see that SD wasn’t there. Richard, our Club and Activities Director, made arrangements for taxis to shuttle folks back to the ship.

A little after 5 p.m. the group of us who were holding court at TOY commented that we hadn’t moved yet. Many of us were speculating where Capt. Berg would take us next as the swells had started to move into the area. Around 5:30, Richard made the announcement that we were waiting for two couples who were stuck in traffic. As the seas were starting to become unruly the drawbridge was opened to allow smaller vessels to move into the hurricane hole on island. Finally, around 6:15 we slipped the lines and quickly headed over to St. Barts where we anchored further out than we have on previous SD and Seabourn visits to Gustavia.

We arrived in St. Barts right before dinner. Some folks opted to head into Gustavia for dinner while others chose to stay onboard.

DH and I decided to stay on board for dinner since we had agreed that we would venture over to Shell Beach in the morning.

We were shown to what was jokingly (or maybe not) our table.

DH and I both started with the Caesar Salad from the a la carte menu. Again DH proclaimed that Chef Tomasz’ dressing is perfect. DH then had the Cream of Mushrooms Soup infused with White Truffle Oil. The soup was wonderfully creamy. I chose the Gratinated Escargot with Aubergine Compote and Champignon de Paris. I love escargot and this was one of the best versions I have ever had.

For our main entrée we both selected the Grilled Lobster Tail on Black and White Rice with Green Vegetables, Crispy Shallots and Crustacean Sauce. The vegetables piled on top of the split grilled lobster tails made for a tasty as well eye appealing presentation.

The evening before Chef Tomasz introduced us to Pastry Chef Extradionaire Garfield. Chef Garfield asked us if we liked Chocolate Fondant. We said that we did so when we saw “Fondant au Chocolat” with Vanilla Ice Cream on the menu we knew we need to have that along with a Grand Mariner neat.

The white chocolate ice cream with the warm fondant was pure magic.

Some how we were able to waddle up to the TOY Bar where we joined our new friends. We had a lovely time laughing about all that we had in common such as family members who live close to us as well as one couple who lives in Virginia and uses the Lexus dealer around the corner from us.

We enjoyed watching the sparking lights of the multi-million dollar yachts of the rich and famous. We called it an early (11 p.m.) evening.

After retiring to our stateroom we found a bottle of champagne on ice and a box of Godiva chocolates with a personal note from Christophe. We decided to open the chocolates and champagne the next evening as we were so full.

Wednesday, March 19

This is the day that our happy band of travelers referred to as the “Three hour tour.”

It was a restless night of sleep as we lay at anchor in Gustavia Harbor. The swells had definitely arrived and we rolled all night long. Some say that this motion rocked them to sleep while still others, myself included, found sleep elusive.

As he if oft to do, DH headed up to the Bali beds to read the newspaper provided early each morning. When I finally joined him around 8:30 I could see that we were slowly making our way south, away from St. Barts. Capt. Berg made an announcement in the public area that the port of Gustavia on St. Barts as well as the ports of Marigot and Phillipsburg on St. Martin were closed because of the swell.

The Captain announced that he was working on Plan C and D and that he would report our destination to us in a few minutes. While most of the folks understood the seriousness of the situation and were disappointed to miss this port there were a few who were very vocal about their dissatisfaction. I must say that in my 30 plus visits to the Caribbean I have never seen Mother Ocean as agitated as she was at this point.

We enjoyed our leisurely breakfast at Topside as we smoothly and slowly sailed south toward Nevis and St. Kitts. The weather was sunny and warm and the ride smooth so we headed up to the Bali Beds and the Office for reading and socializing. I have to admit at this point DH had finished 3 novels while I was still on the novel that I started when we left Charlotte on Sunday. I guess you can tell who is the social butterfly in our relationship.

Richard announced that we were headed to Charlestown, Nevis and that we would be offered our choice of a complimentary tour through the rain forest or a complimentary tour of the Botanical gardens.

We passed St. Kitts and headed onto Nevis. Once we stopped off the coast of Nevis it became apparent that there was no way they we would be able to tender to the pier. I have never seen rollers/waves crash up over the tender pier as they did. We used DH’s binoculars are watched as Chief Officer Raymond took the Zodiac out and headed toward the pier. It wasn’t too long before we heard the familiar tones announcing that we were off to St. Kitts.

As we pulled into the sheltered harbor of Basseterre Capt Berg informed us that the two large cruise ships (Oceanis Regatta and a Carnival ship whose name escapes me) would be leaving soon and we would be able to dock. After a rolly night in St. Barts we were looking forward to a calm peaceful evening.

After the Regatta slipped off the dock we maneuvered over to the empty slip. Capt. Berg was able to get the bow in and the dock lines down and then we had to back out and anchor. We later learned from Capt. Berg that the swell was so strong that if we had docked the swell was such that it could have either slammed us into the pier or lifted us right up onto the pier. He did an excellent job of find a calm and smooth anchorage so we had cocktails poolside and then a Starlight Dinner at the Topside Restaurant.

Earlier in the day we received an invitation to join Richard Jones as well as Mr. and Mrs. MDR-Dan for dinner at one of the aft tables on Deck 4. We had a wonderful view over the pool and the aft of ship as well as the twinkling lights of St. Kitts.

Although he had what was probably one of his busiest days with try to negotiate ports and tours, Richard was his usual gracious and charming self. We all enjoyed hearing his stories about his life at sea as well as in Asia.

DH started with a Caesar Salad (notice a trend?) while I started with the Tomatoes with Mozzarella di Buffalo and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. We then headed the Creamy Lobster Bisque infused with Cognac. It was different that the Lobster Bisque that I am used to but we enjoyed it. There were some flavors that I was not used to but I still emptied my cup.

Now as some of you know … my absolute favorite meal on SD is Osso Bucco. Since I have raved about it here and at home I was thrilled to find it on the menu. With the exception of Richard, we all ordered the Braised Osso Bucco of Veal Shank with Polenta Gnocchi alla Romana and Marinated Grilled Vegetables. It was incredibly tender and flavorful … just as I remember. We also shared a very nice bottle of red which complimented the meal wonderfully.

Since I was stuffed to the gills I passed on dessert … DH went with the Rum Raisin ice cream which he pronounced was excellent. He especially loved the spun sugar dish it was presented in.

After marathon day and a large dinner, Richard excused himself and left us to enjoy the rest of our wine and the view.

DH and I decided to check out the piano bar but the pianist was ill and had left the ship before we boarded. So we did what ever good SeaDreamer does and headed up to TOY Bar where we camped out with some friends and made bets on which port we would head to in the morning.

We had a very calm and smooth sleep in the protection of the harbor.

Great job Jen. Glad you had the airport time to get started. Sounds as if the sea was a bit unhappy this week. The crew, as usual did all that was humanly possible to minimize the discomfort. I cant believe you had some passengers taking it out on the crew. I have seen passengers taken ashore from QE2 in wheelchairs and in casts due to injuries caused by sea conditions. Wont begin to bore you with the mayhem I have seen in less savory parts of the world while operating tankers and freighters but will say that anyone who does not understand that the sea can and will do just about anything might be better served with a week at a shoreside resort. Waiting for the rest of your review. Safe travels.

Jim.

I agree 100 percent with you Jim. Many of the folks on this week's cruise were of the same mind set as DH and I ... the ship is the destination for us.

All in all I think I ran into about 6 people out of 100 on board who were really upset about missing St. Barts.

I will tell you that SD1 rode the swells beautifully ... and of course an incredibly component captian and chief officer help!

One of the things I forgot to mention was that the SeaDreamers Reception was held on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Piano Bar. There were 42 Club members on board. This is always such a nice event.

Capt. Berg was very forthcoming during the reception about the situation with all the closed ports. He told us that there were more than 60 ships of our size and large who were all looking for open ports and places to ride out the situation.

Enjoying your experiences DJ as we have less than 3 weeks to go ourselves. One question about the dockings. I assumed that since we were a smaller ship that we would be docked at all the islands and not tendered like you are mentioning----especially in St Barths. Do you know on our following itinerary which ports are tendered and where we are docked?

St Barths

Gaudelupe

Bequia

Tabago Cays

Mayreau

Barbados

I know you went through a heck of a week with the sea conditions. I checked the marine forcast and some days it stated that swells were 15-18 feet!!!! I think I would not have made it through. I am hoping that at night if we are docked I will sleep/feel better. Thanks!

We are sitting in Delta's Crown Club in SJU waiting for our 4:25 flight. We originally were going to go the the InterContinential for brunch but decided to head here instead. We agree that neither of us could possible enjoy the food after the incredible creations we have had this week.

I did indeed cry last night ... before dinner, at dinner, after dinner and of course this morning. I can't say enough good things about the passion that Capt. Berg and his staff have for making sure we all felt pampered.

MaryLou ... yes it is the same Gabor. He is quite an asset to SD. He reminds me a great deal of Christophe ... you can tell that he has been mentored by the best.

Cammiem ... Now it's mine turn to be jealous!! We have two cruises that we are debating for '09 (both two weeks).DH made the mistake of telling me his bonus check hit our account while we were on board this week:p

Ctbjr ... We did say several times how much you would have loved the passengers this trip ... We didn't get to see much of your friends L and J but we did manage to have drinks together several times.

Well let me close this up and then post what I have written ...

And to all of my pals on SD who I know are reading this ... I miss you all already and I am sad that I didn't get to see all of your this morning before we left. You know how to get a hold of me:D

Awwww, DJ, I feel your sadness & pain. :( It's so hard to leave, isn't it? It hit me really hard in November; I certainly wasn't prepared for it. It's that awful sadness that prompts us to head straight to the airport after disembarking this time around. Anyway, it didn't take a lot of pleading with DH to get us back aboard so soon. April 13th can't get here soon enough. And the cool thing for us on our upcoming voyage: we're sharing it with a couple we met on our November voyage. How cool is that? It's a big testament to how wonderful your fellow passengers are. They add to the SD experience just as much as the crew/service does.

I'll miss seeing Capt. Berg on SDII. We enjoyed him on SDI in November and have a fabulous picture with him. I hope the crew on SDII is as wonderful as I remember SDIs crew.

Just think: when you upack & begin your laundry, you'll be reminded of your time aboard when you smell that wonderful Bvlgari whafting from your suitcase. Just fight hard to hold back the tears. :)

Now depression has really set in as we had to make our own breakfast this morning and I had to make our bed ... And of course there were no lovely Mimosas or Bloody Marys prepared by Gabor or Adrian:eek:

Our flight home yesterday afternoon was fine ... although when they served us "dinner" DH and I just laughed as it was a grilled chicken salad with a cookie and some not very ripe fruit ... talk about contrasts! I kept saying to DH "there is someone in our cabin, someone at our table" and then I would sigh heavily.

I have sorted through our laundry and the first load is done. You are right Cammiem ... the Bvlgari is helping:p

I have 2/3 of Thursday's review written ... hope to post it and the other installments later today ... between laundry, food shopping, sorting through the mail.

Don't worry about the seas Maryella ... I can honestly tell you that this was a freak situation with the swells!

Hope that all my fellow SDers from last week have made it home safely. Some of then were returning to 15 inches of freshly fallen snow:eek:

Thursday, March 20

After a very calm night at anchor we headed off to Phillipsburg, St. Martin around 9 a.m. The day was gray and misty with spotty squalls.

The night before Richard and Capt. Berg explained at the cocktail party and then at the SeaDreamers Reception that Plan E was to head for Phillipsburg and stay there until around 5 p.m. when we would then make the run to the British Virgin Islands, specifically Roadtown, Tortola.

They told us that the run to St. Martin wouldn’t be too bad but the run up to Virgin Gorda would have us, as Capt. Berg said, “Dancing with the ship.”

We started out to Phillipsburg and while there was little bit of motion DH and I didn’t mind it at all. Our little band of CC lurkers and posters gathered in our usual spot at the TOY Bar … the office (which Taylor aka Cruising Chef took a picture of and has promised to post). Since it was a misty ride the Bali beds were deserted.

Once we arrived in a very crowded Phillipsburg harbor it became apparent rather quickly that tendering would be next to impossible as the swells within the harbor were making anchoring difficult at best.

After about 15 minutes of maneuvering in the harbor we heard the familiar bridge announcement tones. The Captain told us that the ports of Phillipsburg and Marigot as well as St. Barts were all closed because of the swells. Therefore, he decided that we would make the 6-hour run to Roadtown where we would fine calm water.

A mighty cheer and a round of applause greeted this announcement from our CC group as we all knew we would find calmer water in the Drake Channel.

As a side note, DH and I are pretty seasoned sailors with many sailings aboard cruise ships of all sizes as well as a fair amount of time on 38-foot plus sailboats. We love sea days so we were thrilled that we pretty much had two sea days in a row.

Richard even made announcement for folks who were interesting in playing bridge to gather in the main salon. The folks who weren’t holed up in there cabins with their seasickness remedy of choice were either at the TOY Bar or Topside Restaurant. There were even a few hearty souls (I think it was the Norwegian contingent) who were in the aft at the pool and others all the way forwarded on Deck 5.

Our little group of 8 was happy to have a board meeting in the office which is about as mid-ship as you can get on Deck 6.

Around 11:30 a.m. some of the wait staff appeared with large trays of coconut fried shrimp and fried wontons. As many sailors know the best way to combat seasickness is to be in the open air and to eat and drink… something that we did quite well.

We had a couple of swells that were in the 15 to 20 foot range that sent glasses at the TOY Bar crashing to the floor and some cutlery and plates to the floor at Topside. One member of our group ending up wearing her Midori Margarita when we rocked pretty good at one point.

Lunch will still served at Topside although it was sparsely attended. Even my DH, who claims to weather the seas better than I, suffered a bit. Simon brought his some candied ginger as well as some fresh ginger tea and dry toast for lunch. It seemed to do the trick. I guess the Bombay Sapphire and Diet Tonic poured by Ivo and Stuart was all the cure I needed as I had a full lunch.

DH headed to the stateroom for a few minutes while I headed back to the office. DH joined us a few minutes later as it was worse below than being on deck.

Thank goodness we had a following sea and light winds so the passage wasn’t as bad as it could have been … I know that there are fellow cruisers who suffered mightily on that run but it could have been much worse.

Around 3 p.m. we spotted Virgin Gorda on the horizon and the swell seemed to subside. The sun was shinning, the water was again that beautiful Caribbean blue and all was right with the world.

We passed Necker Island (Richard Branson’s private island) and made a quick pass through Gorda Sound to salute SD 2 before we headed down the Sir Francis Drake Channel into Roadtown.

DH headed down for a nap as soon as we hit the calm water while Stuart played my favorite Kenny Chesney CD that was written in the Virgin Islands. Nothing like sailing along the channel and seeing the islands that Kenny sings about so eloquently.

We pulled into Roadtown and anchored to the left of the cruise ship pier since the dock was being surveyed for damage. As soon as the ship was cleared a tender service was started. Many folks opted to head into Roadtown for drinks at Pussers.

Since we stayed on deck so long at TOY Bar we didn’t attend the cocktail hour. We invited CruisingChef aka Taylor and his friend (“C”) to join us for dinner at our favorite table.

DH started with the Vol au Vent – Creamy mushrooms and asparagus ragout in puff pastry and I started with Carpaccio of Beef Tenderloin with Parmesan Shavings and Orange flavored Olive Oil. Both starters were delicious. Taylor ordered a delicious white wine that went beautifully with our first our starters and salads.

DH and I skipped the soup course since we ordered a second entrée to split. We both had our traditional Caesar Salads which were excellent as they were all week.

The Whole Roast Prime Rib-Eye of Beef “Marchand de Vin” with seasonal vegetables and Jackson Potato was DH’s choice for dinner. The rest of the table ordered the Pan Fried Fillet of Dover Sole Meuniere served with Dill Potatoes and Summer Vegetables. We all agreed that it was the best Dover Sole we have ever had. DH and I also shared some of the Spaghetti Pasta with Parma Ham and Sautéed Fresh Spinach enhanced with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It was very good. Thanks to Taylor we enjoyed a wonderful red wine with dinner.

For dessert Taylor and DH had Warm Treacle Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream while C and I ordered the French Lemon Tart with Pear Sorbet. Again Chef Garfield created wonderful deserts.

Timo, Brian, Job, George and Frank made up the great team that took care of us so capably.

After an incredible dinner and wonderful conversation we headed up to the TOY Bar to meet up with the gang. Stuart asked me if I wanted to bring up some of my CDs to play … So we listened to Jimmy Buffet, shared sea stories and then called it a night.

Sleep came easily.

Between the loads of laundry and the pile of mail I was able to write the next installment ... The next two will probably take me a day or two ... especially since I don't have the incredible SD1 staff/crew cooking for me, picking up after me, waiting on me:rolleyes:

Friday, March 21

We spent most of the night in Roadtown and headed up the Sir Francis Drake Channel around 5 a.m. to Prickly Pear in Virgin Gorda.

We had a nice smooth sail up the channel and were delighted to see that SD2 was anchored in Leverick Bay in Virgin Gorda. It was a treat to see our sister ship across the way.

As Capt. Berg positioned us off Prickly Pear we were amazed to see how much beach was lost during the swells. Based on our previous visits to the area our best guess is that about 2/3 of the beach was lost because of the swell. Later in the day Richard told us the beach at White Bay at Jost Van Dyke was completely lost and that it will take at least three weeks before it will be restored.

Tender service to the Bitter End was established around 10 a.m. Tenders and the Zodiac started to Prickly Pear at 11 a.m. DH and I opted to take the Zodiac as we love wet landings. Chief Officer Raymond piloted the Zodiac right onto the beach and we were able to slide over the side and onto the beach where we were greeted by waiters who offered Painkillers or Rum Punch.

DH and I headed off to our favorite spot under the sea grape trees. Chef Tomasz made his way over to us and offered to give us a preview of lunch. In addition to all of the traditional offerings like ribs, Chef Tomasz made sure that those who were observing Good Friday had delicious grilled options like shrimp and summer vegetable kabobs.

The wonderful Thai masseuses were offering a short complimentary neck and head message near us. MDR-Dan and my DH said that the tension in their neck faded away. While talking to Mrs. MDR-Dan I suggested that she join me at my 2:30 reflexology on the beach appointment. I think she will agree that it is a wonderful way to end the day at Prickly Pear.

At high noon the ship’s horn blew and we all headed to the water where we found Christophe, Chef Tomasz, Gabor and a few other members of the wait staff waist deep in water with a surfboard laden with caviar and all the accruements as well as champagne.

Everyone seemed to enjoy standing in the warm Caribbean waters with a perfectly chilled glass of champagne and of course caviar (which I had to pass on but understand from others it was very good).

After some frolicking in the surf the dinner bell was rung and lunch was served. I am always amazed at the incredible job the staff does in making this day happen. More importantly, I am always thrilled to see that the staff seems to be having fun as well!

At 2:30 Mrs. MDR-Dan and I headed over to the open air spa area. Nothing like having the tension removed from your body while listening to the ocean and feeling the warm Caribbean breezes.

DH and I headed back to the ship for a short nap as we needed to rest up for the Chef’s Menu Degustation Dinner.

The last tender left Prickly Pear at 5 p.m. and shortly after we repositioned over to Leverick Bay where we anchored next to SD 2. Captain Berg and the Captain from SD 2 had dinner together on SD1 along with some other staff.

This evening DH and I dined alone at our favorite table. We both skipped the first course of Chef Tomasz’ wonderful menu as I am allergic to caviar (the horror I know!).

We both enjoyed the Fresh Maine Lobster on New Potato Salad with Avocado Cucumber Crème and Crostini with Pistachio Pesto. The next course was Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Tarragon and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. I must say that the soups were excellent all week.

The next course was White Peach and Pommery Rose Champagne Sorbet.

For his main course DH selected the Honey and Five Spice Roasted Saddle of Veal with Caramelized Belgian Endive with Fondant Potato. I opted for the Fresh Fillet of Sea Bass with Truffle Risotto, Beetroot Chips, Grilled Baby Zucchini and Chicken Stock Reduction. Both entrees were delicious.

The next course was Warmed Morbier Cheese Enhanced with Truffle Flavored Honey.

Dessert was Light Lemon Soufflé with White Chocolate Ice Cream. The white chocolate ice cream was phenomenal.

We met up with the usual suspects at the TOY Bar. The topic for the evening was the incredible meal. A perfect ending to another perfect day!

I've enjoyed reading everything you've written. Sounds like your evening routine was the same as ours: cocktail hour, dinner, TOYB with new friends. It's so much fun! Reading your reviews prompted a few questions:

I remember in earlier posts talking about having a pitcher of mimosas delivered to your stateroom in the morning. Did you happen to try that?

When you requested diet tonic, did you do that once you boarded or prior to departure? If it was prior to departure, how did you do it? Online?

As a repeat SDer, what do we get/do aboard that's "special?"

I know how much I enjoy reading other folks' trip reports so I feel like I need to pay it forward if you will:p

We never did order the pitcher of mimosas in the morning ... we would just order a Mimosa or Bloody Mary before going to breakfast. Adrian and Gabor knew our routine so we always had our morning beverage.

I requested diet tonic through Miami when I called in our final payment. You can request it online or call in. Surprisingly there were lots of other folks who were drinking it as well and we didn't run out.

As a member of the SeaDreamers' Club you'll get a discount on a spa service, a discount at the boutique and an invitation to the SeaDreamers' reception.

DH just arrived home ... so I guess I better start thinking about cooking dinner.

"We have two cruises that we are debating for '09 (both two weeks).DH made the mistake of telling me his bonus check hit our account while we were on board this week":p

Jen -- DH never even mentioned the two weeks in his e-mail from the office this a.m. -- dare I ask when? perhaps one week of which is March 8?

welcome back - did you see the snow this morning?

on White Bay - will the sand be restored naturally (ala the Disappearing Beach on the Big Island) or is it man-made?

FT

"We have two cruises that we are debating for '09 (both two weeks).DH made the mistake of telling me his bonus check hit our account while we were on board this week":p

Jen -- DH never even mentioned the two weeks in his e-mail from the office this a.m. -- dare I ask when? perhaps one week of which is March 8?

welcome back - did you see the snow this morning?

on White Bay - will the sand be restored naturally (ala the Disappearing Beach on the Big Island) or is it man-made?

FT

Yes I saw the snow ... and then I cried that someone else is in "my" cabin and at "my" table.

Honestly I don't remember the dates for the Caribbean cruise and I forgot to ask Richard about the 3rd person rate in a Commodore. DH has to email Richard anyway so he can ask that question:p

My understanding is that the sand will be pushed back into place at Jost. Bring in those Volvo earthmovers!

looks like ZQ Vol could swing that 2nd week for a special event - since it the 25th anniversary for each of us . . . ?

how did you like getting up this morning . . . and knowing that you were going to have to make the bed . . . and the only way to get clean towels is if you do them? Life after SD is a b*@%!* for at least one month.

I keep putting out the "please make up room " sign I liberated from SD but it just has no effect.

FT

looks like ZQ Vol could swing that 2nd week for a special event - since it the 25th anniversary for each of us . . . ?

how did you like getting up this morning . . . and knowing that you were going to have to make the bed . . . and the only way to get clean towels is if you do them? Life after SD is a b*@%!* for at least one month.

I keep putting out the "please make up room " sign I liberated from SD but it just has no effect.

FT

We mark 25 years of marriage ... most of them happen ... next year. I think you and ZQVol are in the same boat:p

We still have to talk to my parents, who are in KY with DD right now, to see if those weeks work for them (fingers and toes crossed).

It was a hard transition today ... but we received a lovely surprise from some fellow cruisers which so brightened my day.

Last load of laundry is in the dryer ... dishes in the dishwasher ... guess I should turn down the bed but I have no gifts to leave on it for DH ... unless I layout the freshly laundered SD jammies:p

hey jen..we miss you and dh already and are sorry we didn't see you before the effortless debarkation. we had a great time with all the group!! jc

We missed lots of folks the morning of disembarkation because we ate a late breakfast because we took the 4:25 flight to CLT. We tried to get on the same flight as y'all but there was no room. At least we flew in 1st which eased the pain a bit.

We were so glad that you and your DH were able to join us for dinner the last night ... it was a great evening ... aquavit and all:D

Let me know when you are bringing the car down this way so we can have lunch!!

It was so strange not to have the gang together today!

I hope to finish up the report tomorrow but now it is time to head bed. Maybe if I wear my SD jammies I'll think I am on the ship:p

Saturday, March 22

We left the calm anchorage of Leverick Bay in Virgin Gorda in the early morning hours and headed to Cruz Bay, St. John. The ride wasn’t bad but there was enough movement to know we were on the move again.

Originally, St. John was to be our first port of call. We would then clear U.S. Customs and Border Protection along with Immigration when we returned to San Juan. Since we were calling in St. John and technically returning to the U.S. we had to clear Customs in St. John at 9.m. before anyone could disembark.

All passengers were told to be at the Main Salon by 9 a.m. to pick up their passports and to clear Customs. Those of you who know us in real life know that DH is always 5 minutes early and I am always 10 minutes late. DH insisted that we be outside the Main Salon at 8:55. There were about 15 people waiting for the doors to open at 9. A little after 9 Richard announced that the tender with officials was just getting to pier and would return shortly.

When we anchored off of St. John’s we noticed that we were further out than usual. While waiting to clear Customs we ventured outside and watched the tender bobbing its way back to the ship.

Around 9:15, the Customs officials were set up and ready for business. We picked up our passports right inside the Main Salon doors, made our way to the table where an official looked at our passports then at us, collected our Customs form and sent us on our merry way. The whole process took about 45 seconds.

By 9:30 the ship was cleared and tender service started to Cruz Bay. Richard announced that Trunk Bay and all of its facilities were open but the snorkeling was poor due to the swells.

I headed up to “my” Bali bed to try and finish a book that I had started on the plane on the way to San Juan. The skies were overcast with the sun occasionally peeking through. DH decided to take the tender into Cruz Bay to walk around. We had been on St. John for a week in June and then a day in November so I was more than happy to enjoy St. John from a Bali bed.

DH returned to the ship about an hour later and joined me for an afternoon of reading and socializing. He told me that we had been invited, along with another couple, to have dinner with Capt. Berg outside on Deck 4. We were honored to join the captain.

Before heading to the cabin to shower and change for dinner, we stopped to see Richard in the Club office to talk about booking future voyages. There are two itineraries that we are interested in for 2009 but we did not book as we have to coordinate calendars with my parents as well as with DH’s office. Richard was quite busy but made sure to answer everyone’s questions.

After meeting with Richard we headed back to the cabin to start the most dreaded part of vacation … packing. DH figured if he poured me a glass of champagne it would make the process easier. It was a valiant effort but my eyes still welled up at the thought of having to leave the ship. DH said that if the ship hadn’t been chartered the following week he would have left me on board for another week.

We packed most of our things, hit the shower, dressed for dinner and then attended the farewell cocktail reception in the Main Salon. The room was abuzz with folks exchanging emails address and business cards.

Capt. Berg gave his farewell, which again brought a tear to my eye. DH jokes that I cry at the drop of a hat. In listening to Capt. Berg you can hear his passion for his job and his respect for the seas.

After the reception we headed to Deck 4 where we were shown to a table for 5. We were joined by our new friends and then the captain. The twinkling lights of St. Thomas created a beautiful background.

For dinner, I started with the Tuna Carpaccio with Wasabi Crème and Pickled Ginger while DH started with French Style Onion Soup with Cheese Crouton. Not wanting to break with tradition, we ordered the Caesar Salad one last time. We both had the Chateaubriand of Beef Tenderloin with Crispy Potato, Sautéed Spinach, 25 year aged Balsamico and Sauce Béarnaise. As it has been all week, dinner was excellent.

Earlier in the week when we talked with Chef Garfield I asked him if we would be making crème brulee. He said he we would have mango crème brulee one night and that he would be happy to make traditional crème brulee for me … which he did on the last night. Crème brulee is my all-time favorite dessert and Chef Garfield makes the best!

DH had the Chocolate Soufflé with Godiva Sauce which was excellent as well.

Capt. Berg was a wonderful host. He answered all of our questions about his life at sea as well as his career as a sailor. Ever the generous host, Capt. Berg ordered some lovely wine to accompany dinner. He also introduced us to a Norwegian post-dinner custom … aquavit with a beer chaser. After an incredible evening we thanked the captain for a wonderful week and dinner.

We headed back to the cabin to finish packing and to retrieve the thank you notes that we had written earlier in the day for Christophe and Gabor. We made a donation to Crew Welfare Fund and gave the receipt to Christophe to share with the crew. We also saw Chef Tomasz and again thanked him for a week of wonderful food. All three men seemed genuinely touched by our thank yous. We told them it was the least we could do for all they had done for us during the week. We all agreed that we looked forward to sailing together again.

So with our goodbyes said, we headed to TOY Bar for one last round with the gang. We said our goodbyes as well since we weren’t sure if we would see each other in the morning.

DH and I headed to a Bali Bed for one last time this trip to watch the twinkling lights of St. Thomas and the stars in the skies. We dozed for a while and then headed back to our cabin for one last sleep… Morning would come much too quickly.

Sunday, March 23

How sad it was to wake up and find that we had arrived in San Juan and that our cruise was over.

Since our flight wasn’t until 4:25 p.m., we took our time puttering around the cabin, packing up the last of our things before heading to breakfast at 8:15. Topside Restaurant was pretty empty as many folks had early flights. Breakfast was served from 7 to 9:30 a.m. Guests could disembark between 8:30 and 9:15.

After our last breakfast on board we said goodbye to all of the wonderful crew who took such excellent care of us all week. It was amazing how quickly we became attached to these wonderful men. When we told them that we would miss their smiling faces each morning we were genuine.

We headed back to the cabin, checking the safe and drawers one last time before leaving Stateroom 415 for the final time. We dropped our surveys off at the Concierge Desk and then made our way down the gangway, collected our luggage and climbed into a waiting taxi.

Originally we planned to have Sunday brunch at either the Ritz-Carlton or the InterContinental. We talked about our plans at breakfast and decided to head to the airport to try and catch an earlier flight. We agreed that after the wonderful food and service of the last week that brunch would be a letdown … especially since it was Easter Sunday and sure to be expensive and crowded.

The streets of Old San Juan were deserted as we drove away with one last nod to the beautiful SD1.

Our taxi driver sped through Old San Juan and over the expressway and had us to the airport in record time. Now you might ask how did we know that he sped … well we were pulled over for speeding on the expressway. We sat in the taxi for a few minutes until he returned to the taxi. He told us not to worry and that there was no problem. He then showed us his official “policia” credentials which means no problem in many languages.

We arrived at the airport and made our way to the first class check in for US Airways. Our plan was to check to see if we could make an earlier flight. If we couldn’t we would check our bags and head to the Delta Crown Room.

The ticket agent told us there was no availability on the two earlier flights and that we couldn’t check our luggage in until 3 hours before the flight … which meant 1:30 and it was only 10:30. Welcome to San Juan Airport and the real world.

We made our way over to a seating area and waited. DH called and cancelled our brunch reservations while I worked on the trip report. I reminded DH that next cruise we are booking a noon return flight.

Around 11:30, a ticket agent came over to where those of us who were waiting to check in had gathered. He told us that we could now check in. So off to check in we went.

We cleared security in a matter of minutes and headed to the Delta Crown Room. DH has the Platinum American Express which gives him access to the Crown Room as well as Continental’s President’s Club when he flies on those airlines. For $25 each we were able to purchase a day pass to the Crown Room (it was $45 per person for the President’s Club).

We had a relatively quiet place to watch the planes come and go, access to the internet and beverages and snacks.

At 3:45 we made our way to the gate and boarded around 3:50. The flight to Charlotte was uneventful although bumpy here and there. Since we were in first class, they served us a meal … or at least what the airlines consider a meal. DH and I joked about the cuisine … chicken sandwich or grilled chicken salad.

Now we knew we really weren’t on SD anymore.

Well that’s the end of my long and rambling trip report.

Thanks to those of you who took time to accompany us on this journey!

Fair winds and following seas to all…

Your daily reviews were obviously effective as I'm feeling sadness after reading Saturday & Sunday's posts. Dinner with the Captain must've been delightful. I hope to have that experience someday.

I've never cruised any line other than SeaDream, and our upcoming April 13th voyage is our second. I wonder if leaving the ship is as traumatic & sad on other cruiselines?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write & post your daily pamperings aboard SD1. I am so excited for our upcoming voyage that DH says I'm unfit to live with. DH bought a few new Tommy Bahama shirts the other day, so he must be getting excited as well. Anyway, I shall return the favor with daily postings from aboard SD2. If you tell me where your sunbed is, I'll be sure to toast you once aboard.:D

Welcome back to the real world. :)

Archived