SD1 - March 16 to 23, 2008 Review

DisneyJen

Your daily reviews were obviously effective as I'm feeling sadness after reading Saturday & Sunday's posts. Dinner with the Captain must've been delightful. I hope to have that experience someday.

I've never cruised any line other than SeaDream, and our upcoming April 13th voyage is our second. I wonder if leaving the ship is as traumatic & sad on other cruiselines?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write & post your daily pamperings aboard SD1. I am so excited for our upcoming voyage that DH says I'm unfit to live with. DH bought a few new Tommy Bahama shirts the other day, so he must be getting excited as well. Anyway, I shall return the favor with daily postings from aboard SD2. If you tell me where your sunbed is, I'll be sure to toast you once aboard.:D

Welcome back to the real world. :)

Thanks Cammiem ... I look forward to your postings next month from SD2!!

We have sailed on Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Disney, Seabourn and SeaDream. Most recently (November 2007), we sailed in a suite on Holland America and while I was sad vacation was over it was nothing compared to how I felt disembarking on Sunday.

On the other lines, including Seabourn, I felt like a number. On SD I felt/feel like the staff and crew really know us and really like to see us smiling, laughing and having fun ... they also seem to be a genuinely happy bunch who aren't afraid to join in the fun!

This was the second time in some 20 cruises that we dined with the captain. Both times were on SD. It was a wonderful evening with Capt. Berg and our new friends.

I would be thrilled if you toasted me from "my" sunbed:p On SD2 it is the first bed on the port (left) side and SD1 it is the first bed on the starboard (right) side ... I have no clue why they are different other than that's how I remember which ship I am on:eek:

We sailed NCL initially -- it was always a little poignant leaving the ship -- seeing it quiet and deserted. But nothing like leaving SeaDream. You are so pampered during your cruise that the crew becomes family and it is really, really hard to leave. I guess that's why I keep booking cruises while on board, so I know I'm coming back! This time was particularly difficult as the officers and crew had really outdone themselves in taking care of me -- as I made it off the gangway and back into the wheelchair, I turned to look back and they were all there waving goodbye!

Great job on your reviews, Disney Jen! We did make it to Shell Beach on Saturday and had a lovely lunch. Seems the menus between the two ships are very similar as we had many of the same dishes you describe. I also bought the Sea Dream cookbook, which has the Degustation menu -- and the pumpkin soup!

Cammiem, I'll look forward to your reports next month -- please give our best to everyone on SD2!

Vandrefalk

I agree vandrefalk that it is easier to leave knowing the you will be back ... as they say in the BVI's ... "We go to come back."

I received the cookbook as a gift from a friend while on board ... I can't wait to tackle some of the recipes!

I was telling DH that it is so much fun to page through the book and see people on board SD who take such great care of us like Christophe, Chef Tomasz and Chef Garfield.

DJ & vandrefalk, you guys are killin' me. :) I want to go now.

vandrefalk, did you have any favorite crew members while onboard SD2? I'll seek them out. I know what you mean about the crew becoming family and I'm so looking forward to mine "growing." :)

I bought the cookbook in November & was thumbing through it last week while dreaming of the fabulous food I'll be eating next month.

Jen:

Absolutely great to travel along with you. Almost like being there. Cant believe it is so long to the next scheduled SD (HAL in August doesnt hardly count) so maybe will get lucky and sneak another in. Thanks again.

Jim & Lois (Who just got home with another Chico's bag--"The winter stuff is on sale. It will be perfect for Alaska").

J & L.

Jen:

Absolutely great to travel along with you. Almost like being there. Cant believe it is so long to the next scheduled SD (HAL in August doesnt hardly count) so maybe will get lucky and sneak another in. Thanks again.

Jim & Lois (Who just got home with another Chico's bag--"The winter stuff is on sale. It will be perfect for Alaska").

J & L.

Glad you enjoyed it Jim! Trip reports are what get me through to the next SD cruise:p I'll be interested in reading your take on HAL and Alaska:D

Way to go Lois!! Thinking ahead!

Cammiem, there were so many wonderful staff -- Philip, the Hotel Manager, was the absolute best!! He's the one I wanted to bring home :) but Capt Willasen (sp) wouldn't let me. Gary and Mario brought us breakfast each morning by the pool -- and sometimes lunch as well. Caterina was head of housekeeping and kept checking on me and Jinky, our stewardess, was wonderful. Nina at the concierge desk was incredibly helpful and Linda, the AD, was instrumental in getting me to the doctor in Saba. These were the folks who really stand out in my mind, although everyone bent over backward to help me.

Guess I'm going to have to check out Chico's more often! CDreamer managed to be gone two weeks with one roll-aboard and lots of Chicos -- sounds like a plan for next year's two week cruise!

Vandrefalk

Cammiem, there were so many wonderful staff -- Philip, the Hotel Manager, was the absolute best!! He's the one I wanted to bring home :) but Capt Willasen (sp) wouldn't let me. Gary and Mario brought us breakfast each morning by the pool -- and sometimes lunch as well. Caterina was head of housekeeping and kept checking on me and Jinky, our stewardess, was wonderful. Nina at the concierge desk was incredibly helpful and Linda, the AD, was instrumental in getting me to the doctor in Saba. These were the folks who really stand out in my mind, although everyone bent over backward to help me.

Vandrefalk

vandrefalk, thanks so much for the heads-up on the SD2 crew. I'm certain every single one of them is fabulous. Having had such an incredible experience aboard SD1 in November, sometimes it seems the crew & experience could never be matched or repeated; like it's too good to be true. Does that make sense?

It's great knowing a few names prior to embarkation. I'm eager to keep my eyes open for them. I'm also eager to see if the experience I had in November will be repeated next month. I have a feeling it will be. :)

Since DH headed back to work on Monday he didn't read my Friday, Saturday and Sunday posts until he read them on line a few minutes ago:rolleyes:

Here are some comments that he asked me to add ... his $.02 if you will...

On our run from St. Martin to Virgin Gorda Capt. Berg announced that there were whales breaching off the port side. In more than 20 cruises this was the first time DisneyJen ever saw this magnificent sight (DH was below taking his seasickness meds:eek:).

After posting Monday's report on Friday morning we were met outside our cabin by the lovely Lineth who said "I understand from the head of housekeeping that you would like the queen duvet ... would you prefer down or synthetic." We were both blown away since the only mention was in a posting that obviously SD folks were reading. Talk about customer service!!

This just one example of the pro-activity of SD. For those of you who wonder if "they" read the boards this is unequivocal proof that yes they do and that they take it seriously.

Lastly, we have a holiday tradition that includes one of those family newsletters with our holiday greetings in December ...

This year the running joke has been that we would don our SD jammies and take the family photo in this attire.

One night, when the boutique was open we ordered those lovely jammies for DD ... and Rosemary asked it we wanted our DD's name embroidered on them for an extra $10. I don't know who was more excited ... DD when we gave them to her ... or DH who has already created the family photo shoot in his mind of the three of us in our SD jammies in front of three of a certain brand of vehicles (those of you who know us in real life know which car company we mean since DH works for a similarly named company which is no longer related):eek: DD gets her brand V car in November for her 16th birthday (it's DH's "old car" but it's new to her).

Tonight while trying to keep that SD spirit going, we had appetizers out on our deck. Our DD asked when she would be able to sail on SD ... and DH and I looked at each other with a smile and told her "When you can afford it.":p

Back to the issue of whether folks on board SD read these postings ...

By the morning of Day 4 DH was greeted with "Good morning DH" instead of the usual "Good morning Mr. L." We then had to explain what DH stands for (dear husband) and then the crew spent the rest of the week calling him "DH" since we all found it so humorous. It became a joke that even the passengers with whom we traveled and even some outside the CC community began to use.

And for those of your CCers who were on board last week ... where are your reviews:D:p:D??

Back to the issue of whether folks on board SD read these postings ...

By the morning of Day 4 DH was greeted with "Good morning DH" instead of the usual "Good morning Mr. L." We then had to explain what DH stands for (dear husband) and then the crew spent the rest of the week calling him "DH" since we all found it so humorous. It became a joke that even the passengers with whom we traveled and even some outside the CC community began to use.

And for those of your CCers who were on board last week ... where are your reviews:D:p:D??

So, my inquiring mind wants to know: how did SD equate you to your screen name?

So, my inquiring mind wants to know: how did SD equate you to your screen name?

Good question ...

We sailed with some of the crew before ... and they knew my screen name. Also, part of my real life first name is easy to link to part of screen name. And lastly, I was "outed" by some lurkers on the first day but the crew and staff already knew since we sailed before.

Some CCers, when they first board, introduce themselves to the captain, the hotel manager and the other senior staff as so and so from CC.

Good question ...

We sailed with some of the crew before ... and they knew my screen name. Also, part of my real life first name is easy to link to part of screen name. And lastly, I was "outed" by some lurkers on the first day but the crew and staff already knew since we sailed before.

Some CCers, when they first board, introduce themselves to the captain, the hotel manager and the other senior staff as so and so from CC.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. I shall consider doing the same (introducing myself from CC).

Jen, I think your picture will be lovely, but instead of one of the cars you should have it taken in the front of DHs work place with one of those items that are often parked in front in the background. :)

• 2 weeks later...

DJ, quick question for you regarding packing. You seem to enjoy the yacht the same way we do -- we enjoy spending time aboard. With that said, how many outfits per day did you pack? This voyage is completely different packing-wise than our Med. voyage last fall and I certainly don't want to overpack.

Working backwards, I'll have an outfit for dinner. I'll be in a swimsuit during the day at the pool or on a sunbed. If I don't get off the yacht, is there another casual outfit needed during the day, like a sundress? I'm thinking no.

Did you get off the yacht at every port? The islands we visit are very small. Will I miss anything if I don't get off?

What did you wear to breakfast? Are swimsuit & cover-up OK?

This isn't related to packing...is the Chef's Walk offered in the Caribbean?

Those aren't quick questions, are they? :)

Thanks!

Hi Cammiem,

For our trip last month I packed an outfit for dinner each night (coordinates from Chico's Travelers line which meant I could mix and match), four bathing suits, four cover-ups, a pair of shorts with two Polo shirts, a pair of long yoga pants and nice (no logo, plain) colored T-shirt, one pair of capris and a top. It was just the right amount for me.

The only port that I visited was Prickly Pear in Virgin Gorda for the caviar and champagne splash. We have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean so we have visited most of the islands multiple times. Also, our itinerary was constantly changing because of the sea state (large swells).

Looking at your itinerary ...

I would suggest if you haven't been to St. Barts to at least get off and walk around to drool at the yachts in the harbor as well as the stores ... and to say that you have been there:p

The Baths at Virgin Gorda is something that I would recommend if you have never been to them. I would recommend the excursion through SD. Otherwise there isn't much on VG.

St. Thomas is all about shopping ... as is Marigot. Both have some lovely beaches but IMHO it's not the end of the world if you don't see those particular beaches.

You'll have your caviar and champagne splash on the beach on Jost. Don't miss it!!

Most mornings I wore my bathing suit with a cover-up (think dress like not the wrap kind). One morning I wore shorts and a T-shirt. DH would wear his bathing suit (board shorts) and a golf shirt.

We've never done a Chef's Walk in the Caribbean. Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing one offered on our 3 trips as there aren't markets on these islands like there are in the Med.

Hi Cammiem,

For our trip last month I packed an outfit for dinner each night (coordinates from Chico's Travelers line which meant I could mix and match), four bathing suits, four cover-ups, a pair of shorts with two Polo shirts, a pair of long yoga pants and nice (no logo, plain) colored T-shirt, one pair of capris and a top. It was just the right amount for me.

The only port that I visited was Prickly Pear in Virgin Gorda for the caviar and champagne splash. We have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean so we have visited most of the islands multiple times. Also, our itinerary was constantly changing because of the sea state (large swells).

Looking at your itinerary ...

I would suggest if you haven't been to St. Barts to at least get off and walk around to drool at the yachts in the harbor as well as the stores ... and to say that you have been there:p

The Baths at Virgin Gorda is something that I would recommend if you have never been to them. I would recommend the excursion through SD. Otherwise there isn't much on VG.

St. Thomas is all about shopping ... as is Marigot. Both have some lovely beaches but IMHO it's not the end of the world if you don't see those particular beaches.

You'll have your caviar and champagne splash on the beach on Jost. Don't miss it!!

Most mornings I wore my bathing suit with a cover-up (think dress like not the wrap kind). One morning I wore shorts and a T-shirt. DH would wear his bathing suit (board shorts) and a golf shirt.

We've never done a Chef's Walk in the Caribbean. Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing one offered on our 3 trips as there aren't markets on these islands like there are in the Med.

Thank you SO much! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm packing as we speak. :D

Thank you SO much! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm packing as we speak. :D

Glad to be of help!

Don't forget to pack the power strip.

Also, I'd recommend a hat of some sort ... DH wore his SD baseball cap that Frequent Traveler picked up for me to give for him for Christmas and I wore a wide-brimmed golf hat. I wore my hat most days (even to breakfast if I was having a bad hair day) as the sun is so strong in the Caribbean.

Happy packing!

Glad to be of help!

Don't forget to pack the power strip.

Also, I'd recommend a hat of some sort ... DH wore his SD baseball cap that Frequent Traveler picked up for me to give for him for Christmas and I wore a wide-brimmed golf hat. I wore my hat most days (even to breakfast if I was having a bad hair day) as the sun is so strong in the Caribbean.

Happy packing!

I have a nice wide-brimmed hat to wear. I'll be sure to pack it. I'll also be sure to tell DH to pack one. He has plenty, but I'm sure he won't pass up the opportunity to spend his 15% coupon at the boutique for a new SD one.

Gotta get a power strip. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Woohoo! We're gettin' closer!

I have a nice wide-brimmed hat to wear. I'll be sure to pack it. I'll also be sure to tell DH to pack one. He has plenty, but I'm sure he won't pass up the opportunity to spend his 15% coupon at the boutique for a new SD one.

Gotta get a power strip. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Woohoo! We're gettin' closer!

I'll ask DH tonight if there is anything else he can think of that we should have taken that we didn't ... I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but if I do I will be sure to post.

When do you leave for SJU? I'm so glad we flew in the day before but then the Sunday morning before we boarded was the longest day of the year for me:p

Cammiem are you on the same cruise as us? The last I checked (SDII) we do not stop at St Martin, Virgin Gorda or St Thomas. I think DJ has the wrong itinerary.

PS got the power strip at Radio Shack. $15.00 for 4 outlets and very small and easy to pack.

I'll ask DH tonight if there is anything else he can think of that we should have taken that we didn't ... I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but if I do I will be sure to post.

When do you leave for SJU? I'm so glad we flew in the day before but then the Sunday morning before we boarded was the longest day of the year for me:p

We leave for SJU bright & early Saturday morning. I'll be sippin' a mojito by 3pm! I'm certain Sunday will be a very, very long day and am a very early riser, which won't help matters much. I just got back from Talbots. DH picks stuff up at Ticknors tonight. We are on GO!

Cammiem:

The challenge is to get it all in a carry on. Have a blast and let us know about it. Curious minds want to know. Think I'll go make a painkiller in my Soggy Dollar go cup.

Jim.

A carry on? It'll take one whole carry on to carry my shoes & purses! :D Just kidding.

I do plan on reporting-in with daily updates as I love to sit on a sunbed with my laptop & write (with a glass of champagne, of course). I'm just trying to figure out if I should post them here or or provide a link to my blog (w/ pictures). I tend to get wordy...my DH says I can't say anything in 20 words or less (I think I'm proving him right here!), so my blog might be more than you folks want. Either way, you all can live vicariously through me for a week. :)

Cammiem are you on the same cruise as us? The last I checked (SDII) we do not stop at St Martin, Virgin Gorda or St Thomas. I think DJ has the wrong itinerary.

PS got the power strip at Radio Shack. $15.00 for 4 outlets and very small and easy to pack.

Hi maryella! Are you getting excited yet?!?

We are on the same cruise. I am completely unfamiliar with the Caribbean, so don't know if the places DisneyJen mentioned are accurate to our voyage or not.

We visit:

Embark: not-soon-enough in San Juan

Gustavia, St. Barthelemy

Iles des Saintes, Guadeloupe

Bequia, Grenadines

Tobago Cays, Grenadines

Mayreau, Grenadines

Disembark: do-I-have-to in Barbados

By the way, I am still stateroom-less. :)

Archived