Do you need fins? Are they for rent?

acruise4me

Clearly a novice snorkeler here. We are heading to the Southern Caribbean next week. My DH and kids want to snorkel in a few ports. I have purchased a mask and snorkel here to take along with us. However, the fins are so heavy. Do they really need them? Are they offered for rent at the beach? I am just wondering if it is worth schleping them too. If you take a cruise excursion, are these provided? Thanks!!

Clearly a novice snorkeler here. We are heading to the Southern Caribbean next week. My DH and kids want to snorkel in a few ports. I have purchased a mask and snorkel here to take along with us. However, the fins are so heavy. Do they really need them? Are they offered for rent at the beach? I am just wondering if it is worth schleping them too. If you take a cruise excursion, are these provided? Thanks!!

Hi,

Usually the cruise excursions have them (note the word "usually") but fit is very important (I almost always have to dive for someone's fin that's slipped off their foot on the reef because it was a bit too big). As far as do you need them, think paddling a canoe with the stick. Our feet are not really that great in the ocean (seen many a snorkeler struggle by taking off their fins too early and having problems getting to the boat). I've been snorkeling for many, many years and won't go in the water without them. :) As far as the beach, it's very hit and miss. If you know there's a snorkel-renting shack on it in advance then no problem but a lot of beaches are bring your own gear. As far as being heavy, I don't pack mine in my checked bag but put them in a carry-on approved bag (gotten up to four pairs in one) and wheel them around the airport and plane. Save's weight in the bags for all my wife's shoes. :D

Randall

Hi,

Usually the cruise excursions have them (note the word "usually") but fit is very important (I almost always have to dive for someone's fin that's slipped off their foot on the reef because it was a bit too big). As far as do you need them, think paddling a canoe with the stick. Our feet are not really that great in the ocean (seen many a snorkeler struggle by taking off their fins too early and having problems getting to the boat). I've been snorkeling for many, many years and won't go in the water without them. :) As far as the beach, it's very hit and miss. If you know there's a snorkel-renting shack on it in advance then no problem but a lot of beaches are bring your own gear. As far as being heavy, I don't pack mine in my checked bag but put them in a carry-on approved bag (gotten up to four pairs in one) and wheel them around the airport and plane. Save's weight in the bags for all my wife's shoes. :D

Randall

I'm absoluetely not doubting your experience(s), but my fins float and so do all the other fins I've observed. I have seen large black fins

that some operators provide. Maybe they're the fins that sink?

I agree with Randall, you and your younguns will definitely want to wear fins.

All the snorkel trips I've been on provide fins of various size. Most guides are very conscientious about helping you get a good fit.

The fins do take up a lot of luggage space. if you don't plan to snorkel very often, you will be OK using the snorkel tour operator's fins.

I recommend booking snorkel trips with independent operators whenever port times allow. You will have a much better experience with smaller groups. Many of the ship snorkel trips are nothing but cattle call. Last month at Aruba, Crown Princess booked Red Sail who squeezed 125 people on the catamaran. It was SRO!!!:eek:

That is an extreme example. Not all, but most of the ship's tours will be very crowded. Do a little research before leaving and you won't regret it. You will need to book the independents early. Many of the local snorkel operators fill up, mainly because they have reasonable number limits.

I returned from a two week S. Caribbean just last month and snorkeled nearly every port. My very snorkel oriented review may help you in selecting tours.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38287

Enjoy - there's a whole nuther world down there. It can be amazing.

I'm absoluetely not doubting your experience(s), but my fins float and so do all the other fins I've observed. I have seen large black fins

that some operators provide. Maybe they're the fins that sink?

I agree with Randall, you and your younguns will definitely want to wear fins.

Hi,

Thanks for further contributing... Yeap a bunch of fins sink! In fact I've got five pairs, and two for my wife and not a one floats. I suspect that that's because they're dive fins instead of general snorkel fins (which are shorter). But I know that I've retreived more than my fair share of fins for others (like last November in Tortola) that got their fins from the snorkel boat (I can duck dive down to around 20' and it seems that's about the depth that most people loose them, couldn't be 10') so they must have negatively-bouyant fins as well. :D

Randall

There are a lot of good replies for you here from people that actually do SCUBA dives, they know. Listen to them.

I snorkel a lot. I can also swim well, have been swimming since I was 5. But, in the ocean, it feels like your legs are powerless without fins. This is why you take your fins off when you have one hand on the boat's ladder. :-) Anywho, if you book an excusion through the cruiseline that states it provides equipment, they will provide fins. They are cheap fins, just like all the other equipment, and yes, they may not fit you as well as fins you can buy. But, since you are a new snorkeler, you may not want to spend lots of money on fins now. So, i recommend going on an organized snorkeling excursion where they will give you instruction (from certified divemasters) on snorkeling in general and how to know if your fins fit right. Then, if you enjoy snorkeling, buy your own at home from a dive shop.

I have the best fins. They are split fins and they have a padded heel. I get great movement with them. My mask and snorkel are awesome too. :-)

Do you need fins? Yes!

Should you take your own? Yes! For all of the reasons already mentioned.

Are they too heavy to take along? You can buy comparatively light-weight ones (the ones that float!) They're worth their weight, especially if you're going to snorkel in several ports. If I had to choose between taking my formal wear and my fins, I'd take my fins :o

It sounds as if you've never snorkeled before. I highly recommend that you try out your new snorkeling gear in a pool before leaving home. Snorkeling is a skill that requires some practice to enjoy. You need to learn how to swim with fins, learn to clear (blow the water out of) your snorkel, and confirm that your mask fits properly, so that it doesn't leak.

Now there's no brainer!!!! :p

Heck I can do better than that, I WEAR my fins with my formal wear (saves packing an extra pair of shoes)! :eek: Black fins of course! :D

Randall

Sorry, double post, darn slow website.

Yes you need fins - most of the time. Problem is that if you need them and don't have them your day is ruined. In many places you'll find at least minor currents and it will be difficult, and perhaps dangerous, to venture very far without them.

I'd try posting your snorkeling plans here or in the port of call forums, for the respective ports, and checking if they provide or have rentals. I would say that any planned excursion, ship or private, that has snorkeling as part of its description generally provides fins and other gear. If it is private you can double check with the provider ahead of time.

Likewise any major snorkeling beach or spot you're going to will more likely than not have fins for rent (going rate is $5). But some of the less popular spots or more remote spots might not. For example we went to a beach on Grenada, not at all crowded, that was reputed to have good snorkeling (at least in comparison to other spots in the area) and there was no rental there.

I used to carry big heavy fins. Then decided it was to much and for the past year or two we just carried snorkels & masks and thin neoprene fin socks to help protect our feet from some rental fins. But for our upcoming trip we've bought some small "travel" sized fins as well. Should be easier to carry than our older full size fins. We'll take them back to Grenada with us and also to a couple other places where we know our snorkeling time will be very short. We'll stick with excursion provided fins for the day-sail snorkeling type excursions we have booked, and consider renting fins at one beach where we might not want to carry too much stuff to and from.

Archived