Best Public Beach Ft Lauderdale Area

chipeneezer

We get to Ft Lauderdale on Friday morning and our cruise doesn't leave until the next day. Our hotel is in Plantation, which is not on the water. We are renting a car and will be looking for something to do for the afternoon. I know if I am that close to the ocean I won't be able to stay away.

If we decide to spend the afternoon at the beach where is a good place to drop our towels?

A spot to shower off on the way out would be nice. We aren't looking for the crowds, but don't want it to be lonely either. Are there places for snorkeling right offshore in this area?

Hollywood Beach fits your criteria. Wonderful, safe, clean family beach without the huge crowds FTL beach attracts. A 2.5 mile broadwalk runs perpendicular to it, public showers located every couple of blocks. Shops and restaurants on the south end, quiet sparse sections of beach to the north end.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hollywood+north+beach+park&sll=26.036714,-80.115609&sspn=0.012975,0.019956&ie=UTF8&ll=26.009121,-80.150585&spn=0.103828,0.159645&z=13

Hollywood Beach fits your criteria. Wonderful, safe, clean family beach without the huge crowds FTL beach attracts. A 2.5 mile broadwalk runs perpendicular to it, public showers located every couple of blocks. Shops and restaurants on the south end, quiet sparse sections of beach to the north end.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hollywood+north+beach+park&sll=26.036714,-80.115609&sspn=0.012975,0.019956&ie=UTF8&ll=26.009121,-80.150585&spn=0.103828,0.159645&z=13

I'll second Bequia's recommendation for Hollywood Beach! Prettiest beach in South Florida!

Bequia, we're cruising on the Freedom next Sunday and flying in on early Saturday morning. We have almost a full day in Miami near the port, we're staying at the Hyatt Regency, should we hang in that area or run down to South Beach or the Market Place. What would be your recomendations for the day and evening and how to get from one place to another.

Thanks so much for your help, I've enjoyed your previous posts!

Bequia, we're cruising on the Freedom next Sunday and flying in on early Saturday morning. We have almost a full day in Miami near the port, we're staying at the Hyatt Regency, should we hang in that area or run down to South Beach or the Market Place. What would be your recomendations for the day and evening and how to get from one place to another.

Thanks so much for your help, I've enjoyed your previous posts!

Are you wanting to hang out on the beach or sightsee?

If you just want to veg out and be waited on, you can rent a day cabana at The Delano, The Shore Club, The Hotel Victor or several other upscale hotels. You can also spend the day at Nikki Beach and snag one of the beds.

You can also just hit the beach anywhere and you can rent chairs and umbrellas.

Another option would be to tour Vizcaya and then head out to Key Biscayne and spend the day on the beaches there. Bill Bags State Park has some stunning beaches however you'd need your own chairs and towels.

The best shopping would be at the Shops of Bal Harbour.

Miami has a fantastic restaurant scene. What is your budget?

Michey's

Barton G

Marks

Ortanique

TapTap

Nobu

The Forge

Those are a few of my favorite restaurants but they are not cheap. My favorite reasonably priced Miami dining would be:

Versailles

Puerto Saga

Davids

The Rascal House.

Are you wanting to hang out on the beach or sightsee?

If you just want to veg out and be waited on, you can rent a day cabana at The Delano, The Shore Club, The Hotel Victor or several other upscale hotels. You can also spend the day at Nikki Beach and snag one of the beds.

You can also just hit the beach anywhere and you can rent chairs and umbrellas.

Another option would be to tour Vizcaya and then head out to Key Biscayne and spend the day on the beaches there. Bill Bags State Park has some stunning beaches however you'd need your own chairs and towels.

The best shopping would be at the Shops of Bal Harbour.

Miami has a fantastic restaurant scene. What is your budget?

Michey's

Barton G

Marks

Ortanique

TapTap

Nobu

The Forge

Those are a few of my favorite restaurants but they are not cheap. My favorite reasonably priced Miami dining would be:

Versailles

Puerto Saga

Davids

The Rascal House.

Thanks BlueHerons,

Sorry I didn't provide all the information. We live on the beach here in the North East, so that isn't all that important. I probably want to take a look around - people watch, see some nice shops (not Tee shirts etc) have a nice dinner and have some fun. Not sure to do that in SB or stay near the hotel near the port and Bay Side.

I drove through DB last weekend but didn't park the car and walk around - very interesting place! Not sure how far that is from our Hotel.

Thanks BlueHerons,

Sorry I didn't provide all the information. We live on the beach here in the North East, so that isn't all that important. I probably want to take a look around - people watch, see some nice shops (not Tee shirts etc) have a nice dinner and have some fun. Not sure to do that in SB or stay near the hotel near the port and Bay Side.

I drove through DB last weekend but didn't park the car and walk around - very interesting place! Not sure how far that is from our Hotel.

If beach isn't all that important, I'd hang out in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove (I love Vizcaya! So cool!) and have a nice dinner in South Beach. I'd dine at Nobu then people watch and check out the scene at The Sky Bar. They are both at The Shore Club.

If you want to celebrity watch, I'd hang at the Delano. I can't tell you how many famous people I've seen there. We usually just hang out at the pool bar.

Keep this in mind, you cannot get in anywhere in South Beach after 5PM in shorts if you are a man. No dress codes at all for women but men must be in long pants.

I don't think they'll ask you to leave the Delano if you are still there past 5PM outside but they will not let you inside.

My husband has several pair of linen drawstring pants he wears.

Bayside is a big tourist trap so I'd skip it.

Sitting outside at The News Cafe on Ocean Drive is a great place to people watch and their food is very good. Lincoln Road Mall is also a great place to people watch. You can sit outside at The News Cafe's sister restaurant The Van Dyke Cafe and people watch.

For me, the pool scene at The Delano is still my favorite.

If beach isn't all that important, I'd hang out in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove (I love Vizcaya! So cool!) and have a nice dinner in South Beach. I'd dine at Nobu then people watch and check out the scene at The Sky Bar. They are both at The Shore Club.

If you want to celebrity watch, I'd hang at the Delano. I can't tell you how many famous people I've seen there. We usually just hang out at the pool bar.

Keep this in mind, you cannot get in anywhere in South Beach after 5PM in shorts if you are a man. No dress codes at all for women but men must be in long pants.

I don't think they'll ask you to leave the Delano if you are still there past 5PM outside but they will not let you inside.

My husband has several pair of linen drawstring pants he wears.

Bayside is a big tourist trap so I'd skip it.

Sitting outside at The News Cafe on Ocean Drive is a great place to people watch and their food is very good. Lincoln Road Mall is also a great place to people watch. You can sit outside at The News Cafe's sister restaurant The Van Dyke Cafe and people watch.

For me, the pool scene at The Delano is still my favorite.

BlueHerons, thanks for all the nice recommendations. I was in Coral Cables last weekend visiting U of Miami. We'll probably head down to SB and hang out.... the no shorts after 5, will be somewhat of a challenge!

staying at the Hyatt Bonaventure in Weston and was wondering where in that area is a good place to eat. Are there any grocery/ liquor stores around there also? Staying there for 2 nights before cruise and have rented a car so any attractions would help also. We love the beach just not tons of people.:)

staying at the Hyatt Bonaventure in Weston and was wondering where in that area is a good place to eat. Are there any grocery/ liquor stores around there also? Staying there for 2 nights before cruise and have rented a car so any attractions would help also. We love the beach just not tons of people.:)

First let me say that you'll be staying at a gorgeous property...great choice. My first choice for dinner would be at the hotels in-house restaurant called Ireland's Steakhouse. They've earned a great reputation in these parts as being one of the premier steakhouses in our area. Five minutes south of your hotel is Anthonys Coal Fired Pizza restaurant, casual, popular and delicious. Another homestyle restaurant nearby is Lucilles, excellent meatloaf. ;)

Nearby attractions, your minutes from the Sawgrass Mills Mall, the largest outlet mall in Florida. Holiday Isle and Sawgrass recreation park are just west of your hotel. Both offer a great way to see the Everglades by way of an airboat ride. Hollywood Beach is 20 minutes east, you can be in South Beach in 40 minutes or the Miami Metrozoo in 50 minutes.

Thanks for your help!! Sorry I posted again. You are so helpful on these posts. Looks like we'll stay at the hotel and eat. The hotel looked really nice when I booked it. Or should I say won it for 79/nite thru priceline.

Archived