FINALLY Got a Cabin Assignment -- But is it an 'upgrade?'

ltsally

Just negotiated the HAL website-h*ll and succeeded, finally, in bringing up our reservation. Learned that at last - (9 days before sailing) - we have a Ryndam cabin assignment. We've gone from an F gty to an assigned EE cabin that's immediately adjacent to the F's. Does this qualify as an upgrade? Any difference at all between the two cabin categories?

Thanks!

IMHO part of the 'reasoning' when HAL divided the ship's cabins into more categories a few years back, was so they could 'upgrade' without really giving you anything. :rolleyes: I do see people get excited by this on other cruise line's boards "I've been upgraded (5-10) categories!!!" When I look at the deck plans - it is a small, small difference in cabin location. But it does make some happy...

Anyway, if your cabin is in the forward part of A deck, I'd prefer the EE location over the F. However, if you're in the aft part, speaking only for myself - I'd be much happier in the F. We've been in that EE section before (back when it was classified E) - the HUM from the engines/smokestack got to me after a while.

A good part of the reason we don't book guarantees - AND say NO upgrades when we book.

IMHO part of the 'reasoning' when HAL divided the ship's cabins into more categories a few years back, was so they could 'upgrade' without really giving you anything. :rolleyes: I do see people get excited by this on other cruise line's boards "I've been upgraded (5-10) categories!!!" When I look at the deck plans - it is a small, small difference in cabin location. But it does make some happy...

I am not aware that HAL divided ships into more categories. When did this happen?

Cabins are commodities. Cabins in the middle of the ship usually sell for more than those forward of aft. Cabin on higher decks sell for more than those on lower decks.

I am not aware that HAL divided ships into more categories. When did this happen?

They did it a few years ago when they went to double letters in some categories. Those were subdivisions of previous categories, and there is a different fare schedule for them.

My view... an upgrade isn't an upgrade unless you move from category to category. From inside to inside isn't really an upgrade as far as I'm concerned, especially when you book a guarantee. Now, if you move from an inside to an ocean view, even if it's obstructed, that to me is an upgrade.

The rooms are the same. The cruise lines divide the rooms into categories and often they class rooms that are higher in the floatel as being a higher category. Rooms midship are a premium as well. So they may put cabins a flow higher and aft/fore as being the same as one level lower but midship.

Guarantee means that you will get AT LEAST that category or higher. But as long as it's within the same class of rooms (ie inside to inside or ocean view to ocean view) you aren't really getting an upgrade, just a room assignment based on being in a guarantee.

That's just my humble opinion. Being higher in the floatel doesn't mean much to me.

They did it a few years ago when they went to double letters in some categories. Those were subdivisions of previous categories, and there is a different fare schedule for them.

Thanks. Guess I did not pay attention.

I think the cruiseline figures that if the cabin you are assigned is a more expensive cabin than you paid for....it's an upgrade. You and I might not see it that way.

Here's the way I see it: If you're satisfied with the room and you got a little price break with the guarantee....then be happy and consider it an upgrade.

We booked the lowest category balcony guar. for our Oosterdam Alaska cruise (booked in Jan. of this yr) VE

Fastword to March, we could have booked a VA for the same price. UGH.

Anxious to see what we end up with.

A good part of the reason we don't book guarantees - AND say NO upgrades when we book.

I'm with you.

Booking a "guarantee" is a guarantee that you'll get a cabin nobody else wanted.

We booked the lowest category balcony guar. for our Oosterdam Alaska cruise (booked in Jan. of this yr) VE

Fastword to March, we could have booked a VA for the same price. UGH.

Anxious to see what we end up with.

So, now, either ask for an upgrade to the VA, or if you're happy with the VE, ask for a refund of the difference in the price. You might get it. But if you don't ask, you definitely won't. :)

So, now, either ask for an upgrade to the VA, or if you're happy with the VE, ask for a refund of the difference in the price. You might get it. But if you don't ask, you definitely won't. :)

When HAL had their sale in early March I called my agent to see what she could do for me. She was able to upgrade me from an inside (I) to an unobstructed oceanview guarentee (FF) for $200 less a person. If I wanted to keep my Inside cabin the price would have stayed the same. We have never cruised, so we have no expectations. We had already gotten a $100 off earlier. So, we are happy. We have $600 extra dollars for excursions. Definitely have our agent check if you can get a price drop.

Booking a "guarantee" is a guarantee that you'll get a cabin nobody else wanted.

Perhaps this is a good rule of thumb, but it's not necessarily a "guarantee" that you'll get a cabin nobody else wanted. I've had to book guarantees on more than one occasion and I guess I've been lucky in that I've always gotten a nice cabin. Indeed, in one instance I happen to know (because the passenger told me) that someone HAD booked it because it was the best cabin in the MM category, then that person had been upgraded out of it to a cabin directly amidships, leaving it open for me to be placed there. :)

That being said, I DO AGREE that it is always best to book the precise cabin you want and then say "no upgrades." It insures one doesn't get disappointed. Sometimes, however, circumstances require that one be flexible.

Thanks for the replies/educating insights. So it looks like....we move down the hall one cabin and gain....'an upgrade!' So be it.

I'm just glad that when we did bump ourselves up from the H, we opted for the F gty and against an assigned EE (which would have cost $260 more), and is where we more or less landed anyway.

:rolleyes: Seems like one sure has to sail a lot, to learn just a little!!:rolleyes:

I'm with you.

That's precisely how I feel, Brian. A good example of this...on our recent Noordam cruise, someone in our CC group was upgraded to a VA on the Navigation deck...far forward.

I knew that chances are, if the seas were rough, that would not be a desirable place to be. And, that's exactly what happened.

That was not a good place to be with gale force winds and 18' seas!

We chose an aft verandah, #5188 (VA), and specified "no upgrade." And, we loved it!

Just how did you find your cabin assignment, I can't even find our booking! We have often used the guarantee system and usually have been very happy with the results.

You need to log in to the HAL website then choose to go back to the website. Then you click on "For Booked Guests" and choose "Online Check-In" from the drop down menu. Two more screens and you'll be asked for your booking number (assuming you didn't already enter it when you signed up for the website). When you click on that, it'll take you to a screen that will then show your assigned cabin number or it will say GUAR until the cabin is assigned. What I read in another thread was that if you enter all the immigration information and go to the "Print Boarding Pass", that screen will show you the CAT you are guaranteed for. So if your CAT has been upgraded but the cabin hasn't been assigned yet, you can at least see it on that screen.

I think we started seeing our assignments 10-14 days out from sailing. It'll probably be another week before you get yours. A couple of us checked in the morning and it was unassigned but had a cabin number after lunch that day.

Patience.... seemed like the longer it took to get the assignment, the "better" the upgrade. At least on our sailing.

Archived