Do you workout before your cruise?

Snackdaddy

I just keep with my normal regimen, but I always work out DURING the cruise. Usually,

every morning (6-7am) I'm in the ShipShape club on the treadmill or doingweights.

It's never crowded that early and watching the sun rise from the deck is awesome!!

Plus this way I can enjoy the rest of the day and eat pretty much whatever I want.

Kinda like the 12 oz curls by the pool, you'll want to make sure the right (or left) elbow can handle the extra activity of the "plate to mouth" elbow aspiration movement.... :confused:

Actually, a month prior to our cruises, Pebbles and I do extra walking (2-3 miles, per day) thinking about the buffets...and we usually lose about 10-15lbs in the process. When it came to the sweats on the ship...naaaah, but I admire the folks who can get up at 6:00am and work out while the sun is rising... :rolleyes:

As for me, at that time of the day, I'm still trying to find my cabin....... :eek:

Thanks for your feedback. I especially like the 12oz. curls by the pool. My normal exercise regimen consists of 30-35 min. a day of cardio on the Nordic Track, about 120 crunches, and 30-35 push-ups. During the cruise I increase the cardio to 40-45 min. on one of RCI's Lifestyle(?) machines. This usually keeps any additional weight off. But now with the 12oz. curls by the pool added to my exercise program, I just might gain a few pounds. ;)

Even with my normal regimen of 4-7 1 hour workouts per week, I still managed to put on 8 lbs in my January 7 day cruise on Millenium. On the cruise I only worked out twice. I guess that happens when the waiter come over and you order 2 different appetizers, 2 different main courses and 2 different desserts. I figure it will be similar on Explorer in 3 weeks.

I tried! I am getting married in less than two weeks on a cruise to St. thomas. I tried to lose weight for the cruise and the wedding... I just HATE to work out... I am overall happy with myself, but sometimes I get really down. I can't get into it at all... not even a little....

Is there a pill for that???? motivation?

I'm with Tigger. I can't imagine life without working out. Going to the gym is one of my favorite things to do. Actually, my family is kindof funny/backwards, I love to lift weights (used to compete in bodybuilding) and my husband really likes the cardio.

That being said, we both usually get on a cardio kick 4-6 weeks before a cruise. I especially do a lot of running so I feel ready for that bathing suit and all of those frozen drinks. It is also easy to run on the ship because the weights sometimes get really crowded.

We also love to crawl out of bed early and either run on the deck or go to the Shipshape Center before breakfast. Gives us the perfect excuse for that afternoon nap.

DMickey28: First, congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I hope you have a long and happy life together. Second, I hear you about having trouble "getting into" the whole exercise thing. But Alphawave is right--it's gotta be done. Many exercise routines are just that--routine and boring. Then it feels like torture. And some exercise regimens just plain hurt--no pain, no gain is a bunch of hooey! Pain is our body's way of saying "hey, don't do that!" My doc says, "If you 'feel' it, good; if it hurts, stop immediately."

Before I got sick, I never had to worry about exercise or "diet" (we've always eaten pretty healthfully with vacation and special events being splurge time) because DH and I were both active: bike rides (not marathons, just a nice ride after work), camping, short hikes, walking the dog, swimming, playing. Plus we were both very active in the theater community. Between dance lessons (2 or 3 a week), rehearsals, performances, going dancing after shows, etc. I never thought about "exercise"--I was too active. I've never belonged to a gym and couldn't imagine enjoying it.

Now, I have to think about exercise and how to make it happen: What I am able to do (much less than before--that is sooo frustrating) and how I can make myself do it. Blah! But I want to keep as strong as I can, so I try. One thing I've found really enjoyable and helpful is warm water exercise therapy. There are also tons of water aerobics classes all over the country now. You might consider giving it a try if that's available where you live. The water is so gentle on the body that you can work harder in some ways than in a gym. Plus you can meet some really great people who help the classes seem fast and fun. The other thing that helps me, and I know this might sound strange, is putting on the clothes. If I can manage to get that bathing suit and the water shoes on in the first place, it's half the battle.

I'd love to have a "motivation" pill to take. Until then, try to find an activity (or two) that you can think of as "fun" or "recreation" rather than that four-letter word "work." It also helps to do an activity with another person (friend, family, co-worker, whatever)--having company has always helped me.

Good luck with everything--I'm glad that you usually feel good about yourself, that's healthy. It does sound, however, like you might feel even better if you can find an activity to do both for fun and health.

As for me, I just try to stay as active as possible and not go too crazy at the buffet.

beachchick

Archived