All Things Freedom of the Seas!

*dips her toes in the RCL waters*

Hi, we are cruising RCL for the first time and I have some questions even after reading this great thread!

I am looking for more details about Coco Cay.

1. It says on the RCL website that there aren't any restaurants so what do you do about lunch?
  2. What is the beach like? Chairs? hammocks? We have been on three DCL cruises and are used to Castaway Cay which is totally hooked up so I am trying to make a comparison.
  3. I have already paid my gratuities with the cruise and we are interested in My Time Dining, is this something we do once on board? I didn't really see any info on the website.

Thanks in advance for all the help, we are excited about traveling on a new, totally cool looking ship (oh, and also about saving the 2k difference from DCL!)

Hi, we are cruising RCL for the first time and I have some questions even after reading this great thread!

1. It says on the RCL website that there aren't any restaurants so what do you do about lunch?
  2. What is the beach like? Chairs? hammocks? We have been on three DCL cruises and are used to Castaway Cay which is totally hooked up so I am trying to make a comparison.
  3. I have already paid my gratuities with the cruise and we are interested in My Time Dining, is this something we do once on board? I didn't really see any info on the website.

Thanks in advance for all the help, we are excited about traveling on a new, totally cool looking ship (oh, and also about saving the 2k difference from DCL!)

Does the Freedom go to Coco Cay? At any rate, the ship will set up a BBQ on the island. Since this is ship food, it is included. Or, if you want, you can tender back to the ship and eat on the ship.

There are plenty of activities and plenty of space to relax...including hammocks ;). Hope my picture from our Para Sail gives you a good idea of the beach.

As far as My Time Dining, I have yet to experience this but there are other more knowledgeable on this subject within this forum

2179912930101352373S425x425Q85.jpg

2709426270101352373S425x425Q85.jpg

There are tons of chairs, trees for shade, bars set up around the area to purchase drinks with seapass card. There are also vendor who sell foo-foo drinks in real coconuts. RCI provides a BBQ lunch that is prepared on the ship and kept warm in catering type trays so the food may not be real hot but it was very good.

They offer a ton of excursions on the island including renting floating mats to just float in the water all day, an adventure park for the kids that consists of a bunch of giant blow up things anchored out in the water (slides, trampolines etc.), waverunners, parasailing etc. Of course, all these are for a fee.

There is a little market where you can purchase souveniers etc where you board the tender to go back.

When we were on the Majesty in April it was our favorite day of the whole trip. Enjoy Cococay!

Do they have two lounges on the Freedom? If so, does anyone know where they are located? I am a Diamond member and staying in an Owners Suite, does this mean that I have access to both? Is one better than the other?

Do they have two lounges on the Freedom? If so, does anyone know where they are located? I am a Diamond member and staying in an Owners Suite, does this mean that I have access to both? Is one better than the other?

Based on my 2007 experience where we met some very nice people in the room next door who were in both a GS and D+, yes you have access to both. They almost always used the Suite CL since it was never as crowed as the D/D+ lounge - it was also very close to our rooms on the 10th deck.

This is my first post so I wanted it to be on this thread to say THANKS for all of the winderful tips and information!:D

Very thoughtful. You will be on Freedom on my 50th birthday, hope you enjoy Freedom as much as we did.

I took these pictures of the Freedom in February. The Diamond Club was in the Viking Crown Lounge on the 14th Floor. Did not get to go in because I became diamond while on this sailing.

The other pictures are of reserved deck chairs for the guest staying in Grand Suites and above. We were in Junior Suite so did not get to us them.

We Loved Freedom!!

IMG_0212.jpg.0267b511176c0d29746079ccfd1e25bd.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg.258f3ca7cac8e70f3b815ab54925889d.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg.6c56b272b634b77bac88d9fca4416a61.jpg

This is my first post so I wanted ot to be on this thread to say THANKS for all of the winderful tips and information!:D
Congratulations on your first post ... :)

This is my first post so I wanted it to be on this thread to say THANKS for all of the winderful tips and information!:D
... and congratulations on your second post. :p

If I were you I would be more worried about the owners deciding to use their suite that week, and kicking you out. :eek:

just go to royalcaribbean.com click on FOS and then sail thru the interactive tour of the ship! good luck!;)

I thought I would try to post this here and see if I get any response...

DH and I are thinking of booking an Eastern Caribbean cruise on FOS in the next few months, but I'm wanting to look at a copy of a recent Compass from this cruise and get a better idea of what kind of activities they have during the cruising days.

I know the Compass won't be the same, but it will give me an idea of what to expect.

Thanks a bunch!!

I thought I would try to post this here and see if I get any response...

DH and I are thinking of booking an Eastern Caribbean cruise on FOS in the next few months, but I'm wanting to look at a copy of a recent Compass from this cruise and get a better idea of what kind of activities they have during the cruising days.

I know the Compass won't be the same, but it will give me an idea of what to expect.

Thanks a bunch!!

We will be on the Eastern FOS next week and I am planning on bringing back copies of the compasses to scan and upload. I have asked several times for recent FOS Eastern compasses with no luck. Maybe someone that was on last week will post them. If not, I will post mine when I get back.

Just booked the May 24 FoS Western Caribbean. I've been on the Mariner twice, and I liked it a lot my concern with the FoS is the number of people on board. Did anyone ever feel crowded?
It is no worse than the Voyager class ships.

Voyager class has 1557 cabins. Freedom class has 1817 cabins. An increase of 16.67%. The Voyager class is 137,280 tons. The Freedom class is 158,000 tons. An increase of 15.1%. So it is a little bit more crowded, but I don't think it is noticeably so. For me the biggest issue was the increased amount of time it takes to tender an extra 500 passengers.

Edited by Cuizer2

It is no worse than the Voyager class ships.

Voyager class has 1557 cabins. Freedom class has 1817 cabins. An increase of 16.67%. The Voyager class is 137,280 tons. The Freedom class is 158,000 tons. An increase of 15.1%. So it is a little bit more crowded, but I don't think it is noticeably so. For me the biggest issue was the increased amount of time it takes to tender an extra 500 passengers.

I did not even think about the tenders! Is there a list of ports that require the ship to tender?

I did not even think about the tenders! Is there a list of ports that require the ship to tender?

Labadee until the pier is built (shortly before the Oasis starts sailing I assume) and Grand Cayman.

Cozumel, Ocho Rios and the Eastern Caribbean all have docks.

Someone mentioned Freedom and Coco Cay. I don't know if the Freedom is actually going to Coco Cay, but if it does, Coco Cay is also a tender port (and as far as I know, Royal Caribbean has no plans to built a pier at Coco Cay).

Edited by Cuizer2

Just booked the May 24 FoS Western Caribbean. I've been on the Mariner twice, and I liked it a lot my concern with the FoS is the number of people on board. Did anyone ever feel crowded?

We were on a sold out cruise the week before Easter in 2007. It only felt crowed a few times: elevators (we took the stairs), the Windjammer at peak breakfast time, by the pool on sea days (lots of chair hogs), and the line to get off the ship (we had an immigration issue and the line stopped for about 45 minutes. I can't wait to sail her again in three weeks

Edited by vavasmom