All Things Freedom of the Seas!

Thank You, :) Any good head liners?

I'm not usually a big "show" person, but I did attend the Broadway review "Marquis", the Freedom Ice Show, and the show on the next to last night called "Once Upon A Time". The first and the last were performed by the RCI singers and dancers and were reasonably entertaining, although they could have included more contemporary material in the Marquis show (with just one or two exceptions, the numbers were all very similar material dating back to "old" Broadway - would have loved to have seen them do stuff from Wicked, Momma Mia, or even Evita, Cats or Hair!). They did actually do more contemporary material in the "Once Upon A Time" show. As for the Freedom Ice show, it is NOT to be missed! That was a show! I was pleasantly surprised at the imagination and imagery used, thinking it was going to be a typical "Ice Capades" type show. But make your reservations for that one - I don't think "walk-ins" get in! As for your question about headliners, on our cruise, the main headliner was a tribute group for the Temptations. I saw bits and pieces (on the Ship TV) but did not attend the show. I don't think I missed much. The other show was a last minute replacement for the usual magician show. A "Las Vegas Review" type show with a solo artist doing all kinds of variety. People said they enjoyed him, but again, I don't think I missed much. Of course, entertainment is a totally subjective matter. I think in general RCI puts out quality entertainment.

Thanks for the info, I see you are in Knoxville, that is my home town. Great place. Go Vols!

Hello this is my first time with Royal Caribbean and I wanted to know what other people thought about the cruz particularly for children and there safety and also fun on the ship...Ive traveled with Disney many times and the safety is top notch so I was hoping RCI safety was good so my husband and I can relax and even have a date night

Kind Regards

Crazy Italians :)

Hello this is my first time with Royal Caribbean and I wanted to know what other people thought about the cruz particularly for children and there safety and also fun on the ship...Ive traveled with Disney many times and the safety is top notch so I was hoping RCI safety was good so my husband and I can relax and even have a date night

Kind Regards

Crazy Italians :)

Hey Crazy Italians...

First off, we love the Freedom class ships. We've sailed on Liberty twice with our boys and they love it. Depending on how old your kids are, there is the rock climbing wall, the ice skating rink, the flowrider, the arcade, the promenade, the H2O zone, the pool, etc. It's a great ship.

Our boys are currently 14 and 9.5 and we are sailing on Freedom in April. The older one usually does his own thing, spending as much free time on the flowrider as he can. He usually meets up with other kids his age and is able to go about on his own (provided he checks in with us, lets us know where he is and is back at a certain time). My younger one doesn't yet have that freedom, so he spends time with either me or with his older brother. He doesn't like the kids club so he won't spend any time there.

Safety is always a concern, but you have to know your own kids and how much freedom you're willing to allow, and have set rules in place about where they can go, what they can do, curfews, etc. I think she's a great ship for families.

Now on a different note, love Buffalo. Sister and BIL both went to the University/Buff State, and niece graduates from Buff State (after completing 2 years at the University) this May.

My DC were 9 and 7. We felt like they were very safe on the cruise but we didn't leave them in the stateroom alone or anything. They were treated excelent by the staff.

For our "Date Night" we fed them first and checked them into the kids club. They had a great time. In fact on sea days they would swim in the morning then go to kids club after lunch while DH and I enjoyed some grown up time.

My kids have made it very clear they don't want to do another Disney cruise after going on the Freedom. They liked it that much.

I would feel fine letting say a 13 or 14 YO go do what they want with out us but not a 10 year old. It depend on the child and what your comforable with. A kid can get in trouple if they want anywere anytime. I never felt unsafe anytime or anyplace.

Jill,

We were on the January 15 Eastern cruise and really enjoyed this ship! The formal nights are on Monday night (day 2), which is the Captain's Gala, and then on Friday night (day 6), Chef's Dinner, where you get your lobster! Get two...make it three (have one more for me!).

Dave

Thanks Dave !! Did you happen to do any of the specialty restaurants ?? How about any excursions ?? Our son is 16 yrs - do you know if you need water shoes for flowrider??:D

Thanks Dave !! Did you happen to do any of the specialty restaurants ?? How about any excursions ?? Our son is 16 yrs - do you know if you need water shoes for flowrider??:D

Jill,

We did not do any of the specialty restaurants for dinner this time around. My parents were with us and very much enjoy the MDR experience, so we stuck with that. We did take in Johnny Rockets for a couple of lunches, and of course pizza. Both good. As for excursions, we did the Castaway Girl Catamaran and Snorkel Cruise on St. Thomas. It was very well done, the crew was super nice, and it really helped that our tour was just about 20 people that day (capacity for maybe 60). It was a very relaxing time. As for the Flowrider, you do not need water shoes - just make sure the swimsuit fits well! Here is a good overall video showing the ship and the Flowrider:

Have fun!

Dave

If I may answer as well...we're on Freedom the week before you and my 14 yo has already told me we need to go shopping for a new water shirt, that will hook/tie into his bathing suit. One of the big issues with the flowrider is that when you wipe out, the power of the water sends you flying up towards the back boards, and it often takes your bathing suit with it, so guys stand up with the butts hanging out (and girls...you need a one piece or a tight fitting water shirt on top). Anyway, make sure he either has a really tight fitting waist on the bathing suit or gets a water shirt that will tie to the suit, so that it won't get pulled down, and if it does, the shirt will cover the back until he gets it pulled back up again.

We'll keep her nice and ready for you!

ETA: No water shoes...they use the flowrider barefoot.

Edited by njmomof2

For anyone who has done Dragon's Breath Zip Line in Labadee, will they give you a hard time on video cameras? I'd like to get that moment on film and although I've seen videos on YouTube, has anyone been denied using a video camera or digital camera for that matter while riding the zip line?

Janet, Thank you for your response, Im very excited about my cruise and Im trying to get as much info regarding the excursions as possible ... like should we take our passports with us when we leave the ship .. how safe are the countries were stopping at ?? should we be concerned about our 7 yr old and how bout theft? PS. I love Buffalo too, I was born and raised there

Crazy Italians (sorry for late response-still trying to figure out this site)

So does Labadee have a pier now and no tenders just wondering. Sailing on freedom march 4th 2012!! This will be my 2nd time and looking forward to seeing the freedom of the seas again!

Yes. No more tendering

If I may answer as well...we're on Freedom the week before you and my 14 yo has already told me we need to go shopping for a new water shirt, that will hook/tie into his bathing suit. One of the big issues with the flowrider is that when you wipe out, the power of the water sends you flying up towards the back boards, and it often takes your bathing suit with it, so guys stand up with the butts hanging out (and girls...you need a one piece or a tight fitting water shirt on top). Anyway, make sure he either has a really tight fitting waist on the bathing suit or gets a water shirt that will tie to the suit, so that it won't get pulled down, and if it does, the shirt will cover the back until he gets it pulled back up again.

We'll keep her nice and ready for you!

ETA: No water shoes...they use the flowrider barefoot.

hi janet thank you so much for the reminder of the water shirt... last time we went to grand turk on a stop and my son did the surfing there too (looked exactly like the flowrider) but i didnt have a shirt.. and he had like a rash after that from falling off the board... i have to put that on my packing list... thanks again!!! post some pics when you return... so excited she sure is a pretty ship!!! enjoy!!

Hi all! Love reading this post! We sailed the Indy about 3 years ago and are waiting for 2013 summer dates for the Freedom. I heard from my travel agent that the Freedom may get moved from Port Canaveral. Anyone else heard this? We really enjoy sailing out of that port.

Hi all! Love reading this post! We sailed the Indy about 3 years ago and are waiting for 2013 summer dates for the Freedom. I heard from my travel agent that the Freedom may get moved from Port Canaveral. Anyone else heard this? We really enjoy sailing out of that port.

There have been many speculations regarding the Freedom and Monarch with the Project Sunshine ships coming in 2014 and the widening of Port Canaveral to accommodate larger ships and the new terminal being built to accommodate ships as large as Oasis Class. I don't know what they're planning, but I can't wait to find out! :D

If the Freedom would leave Port Canavral, there will always be another ship to replace her.

Look back a couple years ago when when the Mariner of the Seas left.......we got Freedom.

So if Freedom leaves wonder who we will get.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

There have been many speculations regarding the Freedom and Monarch with the Project Sunshine ships coming in 2014 and the widening of Port Canaveral to accommodate larger ships and the new terminal being built to accommodate ships as large as Oasis Class. I don't know what they're planning, but I can't wait to find out! :D

if the freedom moves i hope it stays close.. So what news is there on this project sunshine?

if the freedom moves i hope it stays close.. So what news is there on this project sunshine?

They have kept Project Sunshine top secret to the max. All I know is that it will be very similar to FOTS in size but will have a slightly larger passenger capacity and will set sail Spring 14'. Thats pretty much about it.

Could anyone give an overview of Once Upon A Time and Marquee? What are they about? And where are the comedy shows?

Both feature the RCI singers and dancers. Marquis is a review of numbers from famous Broadway musicals, but other than a nod to Phantom and maybe one other "recent" production, they are all from much, much older Broadway of a very similar nature. Think: 42nd Street, Cabaret, etc. They all just ran together for me! Nothing from Wicked, Momma Mia, Evita, Miss Saigon, or even Cats or Hair! So, it was OK, but I fell asleep. As for Once Upon a Time, it was more imaginative, using the storylines of famous farytales, like Rapunzel, Snow White, etc., but with the more current numbers from Broadway! So they did something from Hair (guess which fairy tale?), something from Wicked, and so on. It was much more entertaining, in my opinion. As for shows, though, DO NOT MISS the Ice Show! There, the imagination, effort and creativity really comes out, with professional skaters doing their best on a very small rink, and themes that came from all the things I wished were part of Marquis. That's my rundown, for what's it's worth, which is after all, just a matter of opinion. Have fun, no matter what! I had a blast and was glad to be there watching Marquis, Once Upon a Time and the Ice Show,instead of back home in the office!

Also, there was a comedian there, but I just saw a bit of his bit on the ship's TV only.

Dave