Help! Passport suspended...

calidude80

Sorry sore subject for me----try raising 2 boys with sporadic child support. And 2500.00 is a big amount to be in arrears.

So dont try and live my life either !

I have to admit that (as a single mom myself) I had that same knee-jerk reaction. It is very hard being on the other side of this! :(

However, I am also a former family court employee, and I can tell the OP (kudos for taking care of the situation) that he should be able to get a letter from his local family court office stating that he is current, and that his passport release is pending.

I would also recommend (as did another poster) to get a notarized letter of permission from the mom, just to save your own butt, and any hassles for your daughter. :D

Last year a law was passed that anyone with a child support balance over $2,500 will have their passport suspended. I paid it off...but the courts said it takes 4-8 weeks before all the paperwok is processed. No funny stuff here...

It really was no ones business why but glad you got is straightened out. If the paper work hasn't been straightened out it still may show up. Can you ask the courts if you can get a written and notorized statement saying that it has been cleared up?

Have not read the rest of the thread so maybe this has already been suggested

I know.

Good luck with this. A number of months ago I made an inquiry as to anyone's experience with "back child support" issues and passports, for a friend. His child support was paid in full, the daughter was 19, but public records incorrectly listed his status as owing money. Many judgements were made concerning this simple question, including advice not to seek answers on a public forum. My question was not for legal advice, but for life experience.

Anyway, hope this works out for you. It never ceases to amaze me how anonymity breeds judgement. Have a great time.

A passport can also be suspended for outstanding warrents. All the reporting agency has to do is send a letter to the State Department requesting it.

You could still have an issue with the DL and birth certificate. As of Feb 19, the ships have to send a manifest into Homeland Security to be vetted before the ship sails. If your name is in the system for suspended travel, you could still get flagged. I would make sure that you bring a document along showing that the monies were paid and that you are current in your support.

If you get pulled off the ship before it leaves to answer a further inquiry and the ship sails, you will need your passports in order to fly to the next port to catch up to it.

Dave

I do not disagree with anything you are saying, very helpful post. But the term "suspended travel"..... now that is scary! Such can occur for a suspended drivers license or being arrears in child support. ( which is a whole 'nother can of worms.. ) I find the iron fist of the government becoming way too heavy. So much for freedom... seems we are not far off from needing "papers" or "permission" to travel anywhere, be it at home or abroad.

I do find it interesting that several posters were very quick to jump on the OP about back child support and still being able to take a cruise, (YES there are many VERY legitimate reasons how one can get behind on “child” support) but nobody doing such with the woman “trying to raise 2 kids with sporadic support”and yet at the same time having several cruises booked. Seems just a bit hypocritical to me!

I do not disagree with anything you are saying, very helpful post. But the term "suspended travel"..... now that is scary! Such can occur for a suspended drivers license or being arrears in child support. ( which is a whole 'nother can of worms.. ) I find the iron fist of the government becoming way too heavy. So much for freedom... seems we are not far off from needing "papers" or "permission" to travel anywhere, be it at home or abroad.

I do find it interesting that several posters were very quick to jump on the OP about back child support and still being able to take a cruise, (YES there are many VERY legitimate reasons how one can get behind on “child” support) but nobody doing such with the woman “trying to raise 2 kids with sporadic support”and yet at the same time having several cruises booked. Seems just a bit hypocritical to me!

I myself have been criticized to NO END, for cruising...when I am a single mom and I don't get ANY child support. I don't ask my family or friends for help, and I do not get government assistance. And, yes I struggle every week to get the bills paid, and the food on the table. But, I quit smoking two years ago, and I diligently save my cigarette money to use for vacation. Cruising is my vacation of choice. AND...I don't feel that my daughter should be deprived of a vacation just because her father is a deadbeat!

That being said...I have already admitted to my knee-jerk reaction, but I also quickly put that into perspective, and reminded myself that there ARE situations and circumstances that none of us knows about here, and none of us has the right to judge the OP or anybody else on how they choose to spend their money.

OP...I hope you and your daughter have a great cruise! :D

I'm assuming that you have the notarized statement from your child's mother authorizing you to take her out of the country. Also a copy of the court order giving you joint custody.

The folks at bording will want to see all that stuff BEFORE they let you on board. I know....I've been there with an adopted child.

Also...I have seen several of your posts Dave, and I just have to tell you...your avatar cracks me up! I'll just say that I originally didn't think that it looked like a sculpture of the leaning tower! :o

I didn’t get to read all the other post, but just in case it wasn’t mentioned. I would take the birth certificate with me and ID along with proof that the support has been paid, i.e. receipt, letter from whatever govt. department suspended your passport, etc.

Before you judge the woman who wrote about....raising 2 boys with sporadic support, consider that JUST MAYBE those boys are now grown and she made it thru and NOW is able to cruise. I have met this woman and you have just perpetuated the idea of making a judgment without knowing the facts.

Thanks to everyone who didn't judge me on my past. Someone noted that $2500 is a lot in arrears for child support...well that was all in interest that began as $500. I never recieved a notice so I was never aware that I was behind. Oh well...hopefully it won't be an issue when I try to get on board. Wish me luck!!!:o

Thanks to everyone who didn't judge me on my past. Someone noted that $2500 is a lot in arrears for child support...well that was all in interest that began as $500. I never recieved a notice so I was never aware that I was behind. Oh well...hopefully it won't be an issue when I try to get on board. Wish me luck!!!:o

Calidude...make sure you have the proper documents, as suggested above, and you will be fine. Have a great time! :D

FYI that was many years ago- my sons are now grown. Back then I could hardly put food on the table, much less take a cruise !

Feel better now ?

Before you judge the woman who wrote about....raising 2 boys with sporadic support, consider that JUST MAYBE those boys are now grown and she made it thru and NOW is able to cruise. I have met this woman and you have just perpetuated the idea of making a judgment without knowing the facts.

Thanks, Bunkie :)

[quote name=

Originally Posted by calidude80 viewpost.gif

Last year a law was passed that anyone with a child support balance over $2,500 will have their passport suspended. I paid it off...but the courts said it takes 4-8 weeks before all the paperwok is processed. No funny stuff here...

ParrotHead79;13841644]So you let your child support lapse, but you could still afford to book a cruise???

WOW-- hope you're at least taking the kids!

A... That really isn't your business to judge him on. B... He JUST said in the "quote" you used to respond that it was paid off.

I'm rather new to using this site, but some of the people I've been seeing pop up regularly in all the threads are a trip. Mind your own beeswax and don't say such mean things to people. Now, go to timeout and book another cruise. :p

People do not realize that intrest is put on, I got hit a few years ago with arrears. The court did not set my child support high enough so they went from day one and took what I had to pay and subtracted what they had me paying and then added intrest from day one. and it was more than yours.:eek: I did nothing wrong (I suspect you did not either) but the state does not care.

Calidude:

First of all good job on getting your act together and resolving your financial situation and clearing your passport for re-activation.

In Ohio we have a public office called the Mahoning county south side annex. They have a direct link to the Washington Office that manages passports.

It may cost you a couple bucks for them to fax any letters from the court you were re-instated from to the passport office, but you would get a quick reply, in a matter of days.

I don't know where you live but your county office's should also provide this service.

Go prepared with the court orders, You should have a passport within days, by telling them what is going on: and take you cruise paid receipt to fax also, Good luck and have a fun safe time.

I personally would not leave the country without a passport especially if it was red-flagged, you will be a sitting duck and get busted by homeland security.

Hey why don't you contact homeland security and see what they say.

Good luck let us know what happens.

The federal guidelines lists excess of $2500 in arrears for child support as a reason for a passport to be blocked....

But this can also vary from state to state...... Some states will not release a passport if any amount is owed..

Also, just because an issue has been cleared up doesn't necessarily mean that the state in which you reside will forward the information to the state department...

Kudos on clearing up your "issue".... Things happen and people should not judge you without knowing all the facts.

Cassidy

Hey just hold on now... I in no way criticized anyone!. All I did was point out the double standard. That you can’t or don’t see such, well I have NO control of such. That you took what I had to say as some how criticizing her is laughable and wrong.

Several of the posters with NO information were quick to judge the OP yet NO ONE with about as much information said ANYTHING about a woman who brought up sporadic child support and how the lack of such made it tough to raise her kids had several cruises booked. I will say how that person presented her post did in no way suggest the child rearing part was in the past, Yes I could have assumed, but I’ll leave that to others that do it so much better then I.

I called the Dept. of Homeland Security and they don't know as well. I hope they don't even check for it. Hopefully a glance of the birth cert and ID will be enough.

As other posters have stated....take paperwork with you that shows you are free and clear, a notorized paper saying it's ok to take your DD with you and things should be fine.

Have a great cruise..

Never fails.............people get all stirred up LOL so funny. I love how people finish people's thoughts ..........oh well.........it makes for entertaining reading LOL

OP, as mentioned a million times already , bring a document for the court and definately a noterized letter from your Ex ..........just have them in your back pocket "just in case" .........if they ask for it then you will have it. Most likely you will slide right through with your ID and birth certificate. Have a GREAT cruise with your DD and just in case no one else mentioned it.............thanks for serving our country as a marine! In no way do you appear by the stated situation to be in the "dead beat Dad" catagory!

Archived