Help! Passport suspended...

calidude80

I do not disagree with anything you are saying, very helpful post.

I do find it interesting that several posters were very quick to jump on the OP about back child support and still being able to take a cruise, (YES there are many VERY legitimate reasons how one can get behind on “child” support) but nobody doing such with the woman “trying to raise 2 kids with sporadic support”and yet at the same time having several cruises booked. Seems just a bit hypocritical to me!

I understand that you thought this was a current situation but even if it was I'm confused as to why you thought there would be any type of issue there. Why would anyone jump on someone who books cruises with the money she earns? Just because she can afford to cruise doesn't mean the father of her children should not be supporting them. She was not the one owing money for her children. Raising children including the financial aspect is something that must be shared by both parents.

EXACTLY!! My brother ended up in arrears because the State of Ohio did not include their poundage when they wrote the withholding order. His CS was taken directly from his paycheck from day 1, but 8 years later (yes it took 8 years for them to notice), his bank account was frozen & he was several thousands in arrears, even though the Marine Corps had faithfully followed the withholding order they were given!! Oh they forgot to include the poundage in the deduction amount and somehow it was his fault for not paying the right amount. Ridiculous!!

So as I said before, don't make ASSumptions!

What is poundage? Wasn't your brother aware of the charge?

When I did work for the child advocate system we always provided the support paying parent with a document showing the court awarded payment plus any servicing fees that applied. If a mistake was made that overcharged the parent we heard about that immediately (should be $325, order for support went in at $352) on the other hand if it went in at $253 not a word until we caught the mistake and wanted the arrears. Then the parent tried that not my fault stuff.

I bet if your brother had been overcharged for his "poundage" he would have noticed immediately.

After spending some time here, reading these posts, I have come to two conclusions: I made the right choice in not having rugrats, and I'm glad, that by looking at your upcoming cruises, some of you are not on my cruise.

Aren't you a friendly chap.........:eek:

Aren't you a friendly chap.........:eek:

Im perfectly friendly. I have just decided that the vast majority of people who inhabit this site have NOTHING in common with me. Many "family" people, strike one.. Nevermind, I will not go into it. I am just going to come observe this site from now on.

After spending some time here, reading these posts, I have come to two conclusions: I made the right choice in not having rugrats, and I'm glad, that by looking at your upcoming cruises, some of you are not on my cruise.

Amen to that!!!:cool:

I understand that you thought this was a current situation but even if it was I'm confused as to why you thought there would be any type of issue there. Why would anyone jump on someone who books cruises with the money she earns? Just because she can afford to cruise doesn't mean the father of her children should not be supporting them. She was not the one owing money for her children. Raising children including the financial aspect is something that must be shared by both parents.

Well said...Just what I was thinking.... My ex husband has never paid child support in 14 years and I have been to court over 50 times and they don't enforce it in this one-horse town. I finally gave up a couple of years ago because it isn't worth the hassle to me. I've supported him for 14 years by myself, what's another 4? (or more lol) Although my ex is a true deadbeat, I don't automatically assume if someone has arrears, that they are. There are always 2 sides to a story.

This happened to my BIL last year when we were going to Jamaica, the Domestic Relations office made a mistake and was holding up his passport, he got it straightened out and then we called the congressmans' office and he had his passport the next day, they have a direct line to the passport office, no extra fees involved and they will send it FEDEX overnight.

This thread is way off the original question and yes I am a woman that recieved child support and if my ex dh had caught up on his support it would have been no ones business but his if he went on a cruise or anything else! The op is also taking his child on a nice vacation (which mine never did!)

You never know the whole story!

This is very slightly offtopic, but several people advised the OP to get a notarized letter from the custodial parent before leaving the country. We are taking my Step Daughter for her senior trip next year. She will be about 14 days from her 18th birthday. Do you think we need a letter from her mom before going? Also she is taking a friend of hers who will be 18. Will this other young lady need a note from her mom? Any info would be appreciated.

Sorry for going off topic. I read the thread because each time my husband changes jobs(3 times in 12 years) it always takes the state 2 months to catch up the paperwork, and we have to pursue them to give them the missing child support money! The last time we just waited and they took it out of our state tax return.

This is very slightly offtopic, but several people advised the OP to get a notarized letter from the custodial parent before leaving the country. We are taking my Step Daughter for her senior trip next year. She will be about 14 days from her 18th birthday. Do you think we need a letter from her mom before going? Also she is taking a friend of hers who will be 18. Will this other young lady need a note from her mom? Any info would be appreciated.

Sorry for going off topic. I read the thread because each time my husband changes jobs(3 times in 12 years) it always takes the state 2 months to catch up the paperwork, and we have to pursue them to give them the missing child support money! The last time we just waited and they took it out of our state tax return.

If I were you, I'd play it safe and get one for your step-daughter. The other girl should be fine, since she will already be 18.

And, you are right...the child support collection system needs a COMPLETE overhaul. They just can't seem to keep up with the caseload, on either side . :(

I would say yes to your Stepdaughter, but probably not for the 18 year old..but not sure on that one. But for your SD yes.

What is poundage? Wasn't your brother aware of the charge?

When I did work for the child advocate system we always provided the support paying parent with a document showing the court awarded payment plus any servicing fees that applied. If a mistake was made that overcharged the parent we heard about that immediately (should be $325, order for support went in at $352) on the other hand if it went in at $253 not a word until we caught the mistake and wanted the arrears. Then the parent tried that not my fault stuff.

I bet if your brother had been overcharged for his "poundage" he would have noticed immediately.

Poundage is the term Ohio uses for their cut of the child support. Obviously, no my brother did not know about the fees that Ohio charged & that Ohio neglected to charge. His divorce decree said $X amount & that's what was deducted from his paycheck, clearly following the order produced by the court. CSE's error should not have come back to bite him in the ass, 9 years later.

I printed out all email correspondence that I had with the state agency.. Plus the state has an online payment center.. I logged in and printed what it reflected which was of course $0..

I mailed the information to the passport agency that was on my hold letter... A few days later I had my passport.

Cass

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know if this will help, but we have a similar situation with our granddaughter, and I talked to the state department this morning. If she has a passport it will be no trouble at all,if not, you will need a notorized statement or "it could be an issue."

Hope it works out.

Also...I have seen several of your posts Dave, and I just have to tell you...your avatar cracks me up! I'll just say that I originally didn't think that it looked like a sculpture of the leaning tower! :o

I agree........that is the mother of all avatars :eek:

Archived