Birth Certificate

itchin2cruz

Good morning everyone! I am cruising on Carnival in a little over 3 weeks. My only concern is my 3 year old's birth certificate. It is a certified short-form. Will this be sufficient to get him on the ship? Yes, I know I should have a passport so you don't have to tell me, lol. I just read on another thread that some people couldn't use their kid's short form birth certificates to get a passport so it made me think it may not be an acceptable bc for the ship even though an adult can use theirs.

I think the reason the passport office wants the long form birth certificates is that they can determine right away that the passport is being requested by the parents of the child. It may be an issue when travelling for the same reason (to make sure the child is with both parents and not with one parent and a bf/gf). With an adult it isn't an issue as parental approval isn't needed to travel.

I think the reason the passport office wants the long form birth certificates is that they can determine right away that the passport is being requested by the parents of the child. It may be an issue when travelling for the same reason (to make sure the child is with both parents and not with one parent and a bf/gf). With an adult it isn't an issue as parental approval isn't needed to travel.

Absolutely not true. What does the name on a birth certificate have to do with giving permission by both parents for a passport application? Nothing! Either both parents must appear in person with the passport application, or the parent appearing must have the correct form signed and notarized from the absent parent, giving them permission to apply for the passport.

Of course parental approval is needed to travel! If you leave the country with only one parent, you should always carry a notarized permission letter from the other parent.

By the way, I had no problem obtaining a passport for a child with the short form of his birth certificate.

Thank you but it seems everytime I have posted this question, it turns into a passport question. It will be myself, my husband (biological father) and our 3 year old. I just want to know if the short form birth certificate will suffice for my 3 year old (only to get on the ship), not for a passport.

If by short form you mean it is about half the size of a regular piece of paper, you'll be fine. My son's birth certificate is this size, mine is full page size, and I have used both for every cruise taken so far. I received both from my county's vital statistics office, and both are quite valid.

Absolutely not true. What does the name on a birth certificate have to do with giving permission by both parents for a passport application? Nothing! Either both parents must appear in person with the passport application, or the parent appearing must have the correct form signed and notarized from the absent parent, giving them permission to apply for the passport.

Of course parental approval is needed to travel! If you leave the country with only one parent, you should always carry a notarized permission letter from the other parent.

By the way, I had no problem obtaining a passport for a child with the short form of his birth certificate.

Sorry, I guess I should have noted my experience is getting passports in Canada (and crossing the border into the US using Canadian documents). Both parents do not need to be present up here to submit a passport application. Also, the short form birth certificate up here does not have parental information, just name, DOB, city of birth, and registration date & number. We have travelled several times to visit DM&DF at their place in FL and the US immigration has asked for the long form for our younger son the first time we went (they asked DS#1 who his Mom and Dad were :confused: ) even though all of us had passports.

I understood (we were told by Carnival) that the birth certificates that we are using must be Certified original's.....with the little stamp on them stating that they are offical.

A "copy" of a birth certificate would Not be acceptable.

Judy

Good morning everyone! I am cruising on Carnival in a little over 3 weeks. My only concern is my 3 year old's birth certificate. It is a certified short-form. Will this be sufficient to get him on the ship? Yes, I know I should have a passport so you don't have to tell me, lol. I just read on another thread that some people couldn't use their kid's short form birth certificates to get a passport so it made me think it may not be an acceptable bc for the ship even though an adult can use theirs.

I was told by our TA last year to get the long form. We had the certified short ones but the TA was clear that it would be best to have the long one (she did not say required however). We were able to do this in time so we had it.

If it is easy for you to get the long form, it might be worth it. This way you do not have to worry about it.

We used the long birth certificates (these are required) to apply for their passports three weeks ago. The passports came in the mail today.

My child has cruised on her short form birth certificate. I don't even physically possess either of my children's long form birth certificates.

I agree! My boys were born in Florida and the official birth certificate issued is a short one. They do not have long ones either.

Archived