Cruise Stop in Cayman

eguiney

I know that the folks in GC are working hard and diligently to get back to business. I just call Royal Caribbean to get info on our cruise next week that includes a stop in Georgetown. They said the ship will be stopping in Cayman as planned. I would like to believe it is so, but reading the "official" government statements I find it hard to believe.

I am more inclined to believe they don't know and are playing it day by day.

According to Carnival, they are stopping in the Caymans this week and our cruise next week will also be stopping there. So they are starting to open up some.

I have a very hard time believing this. The Cayman Government doesn't think the island will be ready until November 15.

I am on the Conquest right now, and we got a sea day in place of Grand Cayman. I really wanted a port substitution. The poor people at Carnival Customer Service have a standard answer "no change to your itinerary at this time." They told me that even when I called the day before we sailed.

We got a letter when we got in line for our sail n sign cards stating "Grand Cayman stop cancelled." Our port charges $25 were refunded.

The crew's saying they estimate GC won't be back on as an active port for two to three months.

Suzy

You've cleared up the question that's been on several minds of several folks here lately. I'm sorry to hear that they didn't give you a port substitution. But even a day spent at sea is better than a day spent at work. ;)

I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

I have read the same comments from several other CCers saying the same thing. It goes something like this: "I just got off of the phone with my cruise line and they assured me that we are scheduled to stop in the Cayman islands this week. So the Cayman islands are now open for business!" Then, later when they get back from their cruise, they say they didn't get to go to the Cayman islands after all. RCI, Carnival, and several others are giving the same "we'll be there" speech and then not going after all. It's the same thing on every cruise line except for HAL, who has substituted another port.

Reality check here guys, there will be no cruises going to the cayman islands for the next few weeks. :( Nativeway and Cayman Island Marketing Group who both make a living by providing excursions for cruise passengers in the Caymn islands says that they expect cruise ships to start visiting possibly by the end of October or the first of November. I hate to be a downer, but anyone scheduled to stop there before then probably won't get to visit that port.

These cruise lines are giving you the standard "we plan on visiting the Cayman Islands this week" speech to keep you from getting upset and canceling the cruise or demanding another port.:mad: I am sure they are told to not say they are skipping the Cayman islands so that there won't be widespread pandemonium resulting in half empty ships or angry passengers. Since there have been so many hurricanes this season many ports are already too full due to cruise lines having to change their itineraries. These cruise lines may not have a choice but to just have another sea day. I know that the ship I'm going on, the Conquest, is staying 3 to 4 hours longer in the other two ports and is giving each passenger a $25 credit on their s&s card.

I guess we'll all just have to make the best of this situation. And like Richters said, any day at sea is better than a day at work!:D

Carnival updated their list of hurricane-related changes today, and it still doesn't include Conquest. It's not missing a port that bothers me. It's a cruise line that knows they'll be missing a port and hides that information from passengers until the last minute that's ticking me off.

Hi Guys and Gals! Call Carnival.I was on the phone with them about something else and they told me they got the info at 4:00pm today.They have replaced all Grand Cayman port stops thruogh November 1st.We are on the 5 night Sensation sailing on Oct.11th and we are going to Costa Maya.Give them a call and see what they have to say.Hope that helps. :) Mariann

I called RC again yesterday and the rep finally admitted that for our Rhapsody Cruise levaing Sunday, Cayman was definately not on the itenearay, but "They had not yet nominated a replacement" She suggested I call beck today (Friday) as the change would be officially made by then.

Actually it really doesn't matter. I just want to be on the ship and enjoy the time off no matter what the stop is. After all a day on a crruise ship - anywhere- beats a day at the office.

At least Carnival and RC aren't still saying "we are going to Cayman!" like NCL. Just called about 10/17 sailing and was told we will be stopping there. Funny, no other cruise line is stopping there! Ugghh, that ticks me off! Just an out and out lie.

I specifically chose the cruise I did because I wanted 4 ports, not 3. I hope Carnival offers an alternative port rather than another day at see if GC is closed for business.

We're scheduled to stop in GC on November 9, so hopefully the November 1 deadline will be met.

:). I DO understand your disappointed as Grand Cayman was one of our Ports of Call on our Rhapsody of the Seas cruise next weekend. They won't definitely say where we are stopping, but I think it will be Belize.

Btw, Enchantment was my first RCI ship, last November, loved it.

Marie

ParrotHeadFL ~ Are you on the November 7th Miracle sailing? A few friends and I from work are booked on that cruise and some have never been to GC. Hope we get there...since I really don't sail for the sea days either :(

ParrotHeadFL ~ Are you on the November 7th Miracle sailing?

Yep--that's the one! This will be my wife's first cruise. It'll be my first real cruise, too, as the only other time I've cruised was a very short one to the Bahamas on the Mardi Gras for my high school senior trip back in 1991.

So having never been to the Carribbean, I was looking forward to each and every port. I really hope Carnival will come up with an alternative if GC isn't ready.

I'm hoping that at least the cruise ships will be allowed to return by November 1st, since I should be stopping at GC November 11th.

F.Y.I. I came across this:

http://www.caymannetnews.com/pdf_news/39.jpg

Where it mentions before the end of November.

It's a weekly paper these days, but should be going back to a daily soon.

Just got this email from Capt Marvin's:

Thanks for writing. At the present moment, we are being told that cruise ships will be starting to arrive here on Oct. 29th, so I'm not sure if your ship will be stopping here on the 27th. We are ready and waiting for tourists to come down!

Ruth for Capt. Marvin's

10/24/04 Dawn Princess

Archived