Warnemunde

Warnemunde is a lovely but very small sea-side port of call. You walk straight off the ship and into the town. The beach is just around the corner from the cruise berths.

However, it's also very easy to catch the train (3E return 2 years ago) to Rostock which is a very interesting town. The train station is literally 5 minutes from the berths and trains were frequent and very efficient. It took about 15/20 minutes to get to Rostock which has some interesting architecture and medieval church with an impressive astronomical clock located in the centre of the town in the market place. There is also a good shopping area and a lovely water feature/sculpture at the end of the shopping street in front of the university.

If you have a reasonable amount of time in Warnemunde (almost certainly you will if they are running trips to Berlin which is about 3 hours each way travelling) it is perfectly possible to have an unhurried trip to Rostock and still spend the afternoon on the beach and looking around Warnemunde.

If you are interested in seeing a bit of the area around Warnemunde and take a steam train ride (Mollie) go to our Roll Call. I have details from previous posts and like to see if others on our Regatta trip might want to join us on an excursion that day. It will be Sunday and not too many shops are open in Rostock, for example. A train/bus ride of the country side may be nice.

Otherwise go to a previous post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723681

and read what Palagirl had to say.

Hi Lair Bear;

My husband Walt and I (Donna) would be very interested in the trip around the countryside, the steam engine sounds like fun. I will also catch up on our roll call board. Thank you for the information and threads to this port.

Donna

I second the suggestions to take the train to Rostock. From there you can catch another train to Bad Doberan and take the "molli" steam train. We did this last year on our own. It was a blast! You are allowed to hop on and off the Molli at several seaside ports. However, if I recall, the Molli ticket office at Bad Doberan does not take credit cards Be prepared with some cash. I think it was 10 euros (or maybe dollars)apiece for the roundtrip). Also, I don't remember the train having any bathrooms onboard.

Warnemunde is a lovely but very small sea-side port of call. You walk straight off the ship and into the town. The beach is just around the corner from the cruise berths.

However, it's also very easy to catch the train (3E return 2 years ago) to Rostock which is a very interesting town. The train station is literally 5 minutes from the berths and trains were frequent and very efficient. It took about 15/20 minutes to get to Rostock which has some interesting architecture and medieval church with an impressive astronomical clock located in the centre of the town in the market place. There is also a good shopping area and a lovely water feature/sculpture at the end of the shopping street in front of the university.

If you have a reasonable amount of time in Warnemunde (almost certainly you will if they are running trips to Berlin which is about 3 hours each way travelling) it is perfectly possible to have an unhurried trip to Rostock and still spend the afternoon on the beach and looking around Warnemunde.

Thanks! This sounds great! I want something easy and mellow. I am not interested in going into Berlin. I heard both Warnemunde and Rostock are charming towns. Yea!!! I can't wait!

Can you tell me how much the train is... round trip?? And do they accept credit cards or do I need euros?

Thanks so much!

Hi hylasgirl,

the roundtrip per person ist 10 Euro. Please have some cash ready, as it is unlikely that they accept credit cards. Maybe you´ll want to check with the Molli directly. Contact adress and info in English can be found on their website: http://www.molli-bahn.de/Englisch.4.0.html

I did the tour last may and enjoyed it very much. I could provide some pictures if you are interested.

kasi

Hi hylasgirl,

the roundtrip per person ist 10 Euro. kasi

Keep in mind that the 1o euros is for the Molli steam train only, not the train to Rostock. I suggest you check the other posts further down with all the good information provided by Heinbloed. He shows photos etc about buying your train pass for the whole day right near the dock.

Hi hylasgirl,

the roundtrip per person ist 10 Euro. Please have some cash ready, as it is unlikely that they accept credit cards. Maybe you´ll want to check with the Molli directly. Contact adress and info in English can be found on their website: http://www.molli-bahn.de/Englisch.4.0.html

I did the tour last may and enjoyed it very much. I could provide some pictures if you are interested.

kasi

As per April 02, 2008: only the summer schedule 2007 and winter schedule 2007/2008 until end of April 2008 is published in English.

So you need some patience to get the summer schedule 2008 in English.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks... Yes, I was only looking for how much it would cost for a round trip ticket into Rostock?? And where do I go from the port to the train station? Is this easy to find... does anyone have a link to a map that would show me where I need to go?

Thanks so much...

Thanks... Yes, I was only looking for how much it would cost for a round trip ticket into Rostock?? And where do I go from the port to the train station? Is this easy to find... does anyone have a link to a map that would show me where I need to go?

Thanks so much...

Two pics say more than thousand words:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdGeneral2-vi.jpg

see here for some more details:

Warnemünde

Rostock

One price update 2008:

Warnemünde to Rostock:

Single Ticket: 1.70 EUR / adult - 1.20 EUR / child

Day Pass: 4.30 EUR - 3.00 EUR

Group Day Pass (max. 5 persons): 12.90 EUR

Train runs every 10 (rush hour)-30 (late night). Transit time about 15 minutes.

Check here for English schedule.

Have a great day in Rostock!

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

As per April 02, 2008: only the summer schedule 2007 and winter schedule 2007/2008 until end of April 2008 is published in English.

So you need some patience to get the summer schedule 2008 in English.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I was cruising the Molli site and found the 2008 schedule (April-Nov) in both German/English, although it's only on the German language part of the site. Everything you need is conveniently on a single page - mini map, schedule & fares. Check it out here:

www.molli-bahn.de/fileadmin/upload/images/Fahrplan/Sommer_2008.pdf

HeinBloed, thanks for all the excellent info you've posted on FIT trips from Warnemunde. With your directions, we're now ready for a day of exploring thru Bad Doberan, Heiligendamm, Kuhlungsborn and Rostock. Too bad there's no time for a spa experience!

Two pics say more than thousand words:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdGeneral2-vi.jpg

see here for some more details:

Warnemünde

Rostock

One price update 2008:

Warnemünde to Rostock:

Single Ticket: 1.70 EUR / adult - 1.20 EUR / child

Day Pass: 4.30 EUR - 3.00 EUR

Group Day Pass (max. 5 persons): 12.90 EUR

Train runs every 10 (rush hour)-30 (late night). Transit time about 15 minutes.

Check here for English schedule.

Have a great day in Rostock!

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Oh my!!! You are SOOOO nice to post this!!! WOW.... that just says it all! I wish everywhere we were going, someone would post a picture like that:D Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Thanks again HeinBloed! I saved your info on Warnemunde too! What a great document. Awesome pictures and I can't imagine needing to go anywhere else! What a charming looking town! I can't wait.

Thank you for taking the time to help.:)

Archived