I wish Carnival would change the photo process.

LoraJ

Whenever I cruise, I usually end up buying a few photos from the gallery. On my last cruise on the Victory, I came home with zero.

The first full day, I searched around for our embarkation photo. I found it, and my hubby is making a face in it, as usual. It was actually kind of funny. But it was an 8x10. Just not worth the cost. I wouldn't mind a 5x7 of it, but just not 8x10 worthy.

I ask if there was any way to have a 5x7 made, and they said no. Well, they lost a sale and my photo went into the garbage.

I just think the cruiselines should implement a system similar to Disney's photopass. I really think they'd make more money, and save some trees with all those wasted photos.

For those who aren't aware, with photopass, you are given a card similar to your sail & sign. The photographer scans the card when he takes a photo. When you get home, you can access all your photos online and order whatever prints you want in whatever size. You can even order everything on a CD.

I think on the cruise it would be great if the photographer could scan your S&S card, and then they'd have a kiosk in the gallery area where you could order whatever prints you want right on the ship.

We didn't even bother to pose for any other photos for the rest of the trip. It seemed like they were just printing out 8x10, and hardly any 5x7's. So it was pointless.

So maybe someday Carnival and other cruiselines will get with the times. :)

(oh, and sorry if this has been discussed a lot before, search wasn't working, as usual).

Whenever I cruise, I usually end up buying a few photos from the gallery. On my last cruise on the Victory, I came home with zero.

The first full day, I searched around for our embarkation photo. I found it, and my hubby is making a face in it, as usual. It was actually kind of funny. But it was an 8x10. Just not worth the cost. I wouldn't mind a 5x7 of it, but just not 8x10 worthy.

I ask if there was any way to have a 5x7 made, and they said no. Well, they lost a sale and my photo went into the garbage.

I just think the cruiselines should implement a system similar to Disney's photopass. I really think they'd make more money, and save some trees with all those wasted photos.

For those who aren't aware, with photopass, you are given a card similar to your sail & sign. The photographer scans the card when he takes a photo. When you get home, you can access all your photos online and order whatever prints you want in whatever size. You can even order everything on a CD.

I think on the cruise it would be great if the photographer could scan your S&S card, and then they'd have a kiosk in the gallery area where you could order whatever prints you want right on the ship.

We didn't even bother to pose for any other photos for the rest of the trip. It seemed like they were just printing out 8x10, and hardly any 5x7's. So it was pointless.

(oh, and sorry if this has been discussed a lot before, search wasn't working, as usual).

Thats a great idea!

There are quite a few people who are disappointed in the photo sales at Carnival. I am with you on this myself. I hate seeing all the pictures going into the trash. And, half the time, I can't even find mine.

The other beauty of your idea, is that if I miss a day because I'm too busy, I won't miss out on a possible great pic!

After my October, 2006 cruise I mentioned this exact thing to Uncle Bob. I wrote how great the DisneyWorld photo system was and that it would most likely increase photo sales. He gave me the standard "I'll look into it".

One of the problems I see with the card scanning system is that people already complain about how long it takes to get off the ship because of the photographers. Can you imagine what it would be like if they had to stop to scan a card before taking your picture???

That is too bad, usually they do 5X7's for everything but formal nights where they do the 8X10's. all our photos of getting on the ship, getting off, pirates in the dining room etc are 5X7.

That is too bad, usually they do 5X7's for everything but formal nights where they do the 8X10's. all our photos of getting on the ship, getting off, pirates in the dining room etc are 5X7.

Last year our embarkation photo was also 8x10, but they had us pose with Barenaked Ladies (signature photo). Of course I was going to buy that lol. But just me and DH...nah.

I didn't go in the gallery too much after that to notice if they went back to 5x7. I noticed some that were normally 5x7 to be 8x10.

Last year our embarkation photo was also 8x10, but they had us pose with Barenaked Ladies (signature photo). Of course I was going to buy that lol. But just me and DH...nah.

I didn't go in the gallery too much after that to notice if they went back to 5x7. I noticed some that were normally 5x7 to be 8x10.

Ok, Gaelic Storm AND BNL??? Dang, that must have been an awesome cruise!! Who else was on it (musical groups)? How cool that you got a shot with BNL - we LOVE them!:D

Or something like, being able to view your pics on the tv in your room and order the ones you want and have them waiting for you in the photo gallery in a couple hours. The charge would go on your account immediately, so all you'd have to do is show them your card and pic up the pics.

On John Heald's blog, he said that this very thing was discussed at the CD confrence in January and they are looking at some new programs in the near future. He also stated that they go back to the smaller embarkation pictures since so many have complained about 8x10 being to big for scrapbooks which a guess a lot of people put them into.

I know on the Legend several years ago, they did have a kiosk that you could view pictures on (not from your camera) that they took on the ship and order "EXTRA" prints if you wanted to. They also printed a proof sheet on them. I haven't seen that since that cruise.

The photo gallery is one area they could use some updating on and restructering!

Ok, Gaelic Storm AND BNL??? Dang, that must have been an awesome cruise!! Who else was on it (musical groups)? How cool that you got a shot with BNL - we LOVE them!:D

This year it was Guster, Great Big Sea and Carbon Leaf as well. :) Lots of fun. I missed out on a lot of the other bands though because for some reason the montion of the ship made me very sleeeeeeeppppy. I'd nap on the balcony. But it was nice and relaxing.

I've not cruised Carnival before, so I want to make sure I understand....

...If I see a picture I like of us (like the formal), I should buy it then because later in the cruise it will be gone? I'm not allowed to stack my pics and pay at the end? And these 8x10's cost how much?

I think it would be great if they implemented a better system too. I personally hate searching for a photo only to find out it's horrible. I usually go when DH is busy doing something else and toss most of them. Last time we cruised they got us for over $20 for the embarkation pic and it they tossed a big gaudy picture frame in the bag, I said "oh no I don't want the frame" and he replied it's free...ugh! It just recently got tossed, I found it in the outside pocket of our suitcase.

I think the pics are ok, as the years have passed I have gotten better about choosing pics though, the first cruise (all girls) we bought them all and honestly I don't even know where they are. A nice embarkation in a 5X7 and a nice formal 8x10 would be fine with me. But down the road it would be nice to have the option to choose what to order.

i agree with this 100%! how many friggin 8x10s can someone have in their home?

and some of the photos don't even "work" as 8x10s...they are not portraits, etc.

i think you are spot on with the statement that they stand to make more money in the end if they change it! a win/win for all.

I've not cruised Carnival before, so I want to make sure I understand....

...If I see a picture I like of us (like the formal), I should buy it then because later in the cruise it will be gone? I'm not allowed to stack my pics and pay at the end? And these 8x10's cost how much?

On the Victory, they told us we needed to decide on the photos we wanted within a couple of days because they couldn't promise they would be there later sine they had to make room for more photos. Not sure if that's true and if they were pressuring me to buy. I didn't go back to look for anything. Only time I went in there was in passing.

I can't remember the exact cost. It was around $20.

I've been on enough cruises now that I refuse to waste time trying to find our photos. I only buy the embarkation photo (in case I need proof of cruise history) and 1 formal night picture. I too wish they had a different system. The ski resorts I have been to in Colorado have an on line system. My daughter once lost a very important picture taken of her and her good friend at Breckenridge and even a year later I was able to find it on line and order a duplicate. Soooo much easier than looking thru thousands of pics. Last year at Breckenridge there was a photographer taking action shots and as I skied by him he just hollered out a number to me. I remembered the number and after I got home I was able to find it on line. I didn't order one but I could have had I wanted too.

As for scanning the card it literally takes 1 second. As soon as the photgrapher snaps your pic he swipes the card. For the embark photo you won't even have time to pick up your carry on luggage before he will be handing the card to you.

The photopass thing is a great idea.

Or something like, being able to view your pics on the tv in your room and order the ones you want and have them waiting for you in the photo gallery in a couple hours. The charge would go on your account immediately, so all you'd have to do is show them your card and pic up the pics.

HAHAH! I jsut wrote the exact same thing on the post about "What do you think is unnecessary on a CCL cruise...".

I guess the benefit of having them printed out is that people know exactly what they are getting. If they are viewed on a TV screen, and then printed out, I'm sure there is more of a chance for a customer to complain about the picture... "I looked 30lbs skinnier on the TV screen"... :eek:

Agreed. I avoid having my picture taken because I don't want CCL to waste paper on pictures I won't end up purchasing. Now, if they used a photopass type thing, I'd be more likely to view and pick which photos I want.

A friend cruised on NCL and told me on her cruise they had a $99 photo special. All the photos they took on the cruise for $99. Now I would be willing to go for that especially on our upcoming cruise with our granddaughters.

I think it would be great if they implemented a better system too. I personally hate searching for a photo only to find out it's horrible. I usually go when DH is busy doing something else and toss most of them. Last time we cruised they got us for over $20 for the embarkation pic and it they tossed a big gaudy picture frame in the bag, I said "oh no I don't want the frame" and he replied it's free...ugh! It just recently got tossed, I found it in the outside pocket of our suitcase.

I think the pics are ok, as the years have passed I have gotten better about choosing pics though, the first cruise (all girls) we bought them all and honestly I don't even know where they are. A nice embarkation in a 5X7 and a nice formal 8x10 would be fine with me. But down the road it would be nice to have the option to choose what to order.

This is one thing I definately agree with

I spent what seemed like hours

of my cruise

just searching for pics

I could have been doing other things

But I wanted to see the pics!!

You would think that they would have a better process...

and who is to stop someone else from buying your photos

or throwing them out ?>

HHHMMMM....

I always think it is such a waste of resources to print out all those photos. So many of them go to waste. Many people posed for these pictures with no intention of buying them. All destroyed. And all the embarkation and port photo that they force you to take. Again, many people will never consider buying them even if the cruise line print them out and stick them in front of people's faces.

With the digital technology now, it would be so easy to leave the photo in digital format. Have rolls of computer screen instead of the photo wall. People can then look for the pictures and order them as they want, whatever size. You can have them print out your photo with no obligation to buy if someone just want to look at a hard copy. That way, it will cut down on a whole lot of printing and waste for photos that will never, ever be purchased.

See all those photos being destroy is so disheartening. What a waste.

Archived