I wish Carnival would change the photo process.

LoraJ

Done right, digital can increase your impulse sales for photos.

I'd be interested to see what their sell rate is. I'd be really surprised if it was over 10%.

Good post.

I'm sure there is a way to mechandise digital photography effectively. But my wife would have an easier time saying no if it was just a TV image. She has a harder time saying no once it's in her hands. But I'm only giving an opinion without ever being in the business.

I do have a friend that is in the business... and he says he does price photos depending on the emotional value... Wedding photos are priced much higher than other shoots, for instance.

I bet you are right regarding the 10% sales. I wonder what the total net percent profit is given time and materials.

I can tell you why the Disney system works better for someone like me (and I imagine most people who LOVE the photo pass), from a marketing standpoint. We always have quite a few pictures that we love on our account. HOWEVER, I refuse to pay the kind of money that they want for the prints, and will usually only buy 2 or 3 (spending about $40-$50).

HOWEVER, given the opportunity to buy a CD for $99 (if you get "the coupon") or $125 with every single picture taken of my family, and the copyright release so that I can print whatever I want? OH HECK YES!

Way more money than I would have spent on individual pictures, and I feel like I'm getting a bargain (ha!).

I also feel that if given the opportunity to choose what to print and what size, I would actually buy MORE photos (if there wasn't an option to buy ALL of them on a CD). I really don't like 8X10s, like many of you, but would love some smaller pictures to scrapbook, and would gladly spend the $$ to have something that I could USE! I think this is true for many people.

HOWEVER, given the opportunity to buy a CD for $99 (if you get "the coupon") or $125 with every single picture taken of my family, and the copyright release so that I can print whatever I want? OH HECK YES!

Ohhh... is that what they do? They sell an all-inclusive to $100 bucks or so?

I didn't realize that. My Wife is a crafter too, so that could be interesting to her.

And at $100... that's nearly 100% profit as there is no printing involved.

But you still have to wonder about the emotional folks who "just have to have this picture".

And the folks over 50 who may not be very technologically savy to deal with digital. Ever since we've had a digital camera, my Wife (who is young) has lost all interest in her crafting. I think that's because digital is too intimidating for her to learn.

Maybe in 10 years, digital will be a more prevelent media for photos... but until then, Cruiselines will be stuck with paper photos they try to huck.

Yes, I think Disney has a great system in place with their photopass. They also allow you to go to your account online and edit photos/add fun borders, 'autographs", etc. for a certain amount of time after you first 'claim' them. You can save those versions of the photos and after you are finished doing all the edits, then you order the CD with all of the photos, to include the ones with the borders and edits.

You can log onto your account at home through the internet, or at a few designated photo shops around the parks.

I don't have my fun border pics on my laptop, but mabye could find a couple to post tomorrow to show what they offer (or I'm betting there might be another dis-aholic on here that might have some to share). It really is easy and neat, and makes you not think twice about dropping $100.

Though, i suspsect you're right about a certain age group not really enjoying the digital age as much (and actually being 'afraid' of it)....not sure how that might work into it. But, i'm with the other poster who said....if Disney is doing it, they've found a way to make it quite profitable.

Though, i suspsect you're right about a certain age group not really enjoying the digital age as much (and actually being 'afraid' of it)....not sure how that might work into it.

I suspect maybe Diney cruisers are a younger, more digitally savey set of cruisers. I would think that most only cruise Disney because of young children... and that woule likely plavce them in the under 40 croud.

Thank you for the insight. I did not understand the other posters when they referenced Disney. :)

YIKES. I have to be honest. I'm not sure if DINSEY CRUISE LINE does this or not? This is what they do at the parks, but I've never been on a Disney CRUISE! I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I'm sure there are Disney cruisers who could answer this question, though! I'm only assuming that they have something similar for their cruises, but????

I just posted a question on the Disney cruise board to find out, because now I'm wondering if they have already implemented this on the cruise line as well.

Sorry...when it comes to Disney, my focus is on the parks...my brain doesn't go far from there :)

Ohhh...

And the folks over 50 who may not be very technologically savy to deal with digital. .

As part of the "over 50" group, you would be amazed at the number of those under 30 who are computer illiterate. I work with industial process control and programable logic, robotics, etc. It has become very difficult to find any younger person to teach this to. Part of this process is the use of digital cameras and these youngsters cannot even figure out how to download and process these photos. If it does not relate to their cell phone, I-Pod, or Game system, they don't have a clue. :confused:

That said, I too wish that they would do away with the 8 x 10 and just give one an option to order one. 5 x 7 is plenty large enough.

YIKES. I have to be honest. I'm not sure if DINSEY CRUISE LINE does this or not? This is what they do at the parks, but I've never been on a Disney CRUISE! I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I'm sure there are Disney cruisers who could answer this question, though! I'm only assuming that they have something similar for their cruises, but????

I just posted a question on the Disney cruise board to find out, because now I'm wondering if they have already implemented this on the cruise line as well.

Sorry...when it comes to Disney, my focus is on the parks...my brain doesn't go far from there :)

Disney does not do this on the cruise line yet. From my understanding they do want to implement it though. I cruised on 2/24 and they still print out every pic. :mad:

You don't need to be tech savvy with digital photo cards. Those who arn't just go to the photo station and someone shows them all their photos which they can print out.

I doubt that I will buy any photos on the ship. I would probably buy a CD with photos though. I want all my pictures digitally.

I've not cruised Carnival before, so I want to make sure I understand....

...If I see a picture I like of us (like the formal), I should buy it then because later in the cruise it will be gone? I'm not allowed to stack my pics and pay at the end? And these 8x10's cost how much?

On our cruise on the Pride they had categories for pricing, Bronze was $8.99, Silver $10.99, Gold $14.99, Platinum $19.99 and Diamond $21.99-not sure if this is exactly correct, but basically the idea. We were able to locate our pictures from the first formal night which was the 2nd dinner, on the 6th day. So I think that it varies. They take so many pictures thoughout the cruise that I'm sure they can't keep them all up for the entire cruise. Hope this helps

Archived