I wish Carnival would change the photo process.

LoraJ

I agree that it is a hassel to search for your pictures among thousands. You figure there are at least 2500 pax on a spirit class ship times 5 - conservative figure for how many times they appear in a photo. Way too many to pictures to search to find your photo. And they aren't usually sorted by pax so just cuz you found 2 pics doesn't mean there aren't more. The idea of printing after you order them is much better organization.

I totally agree that they need to come up with a better system. Disney's system is good. And it just seems like bad business to print out all these 8x10's that mostly get tossed in the garbage. Photo paper isn't cheap. It just makes more sense, especially since they shoot everything digitally now, to just keep them that way and let people order the pics they want in the sizes they want. I know personally we have more 8x10 pics than we have room to display them. So most are put away and never seen again until we move.

FYI...

Just to help you when looking for your pictures...

90% of the time, they will arrange the pictures according the color of the clothes that people are wearing in the picture.

So, all the people in red will be together, blue formal gowns or shirts...

Whatever is the predominant standout color in the group...

This will help you find your picture much faster if you keep this in mind.

I am actually considering stealing this photo idea for my work. We are supposed to do photo promotions and I was thinking of building a small railing to hold a sign that says Prom and then taking it to the schools and setting up out front when they have proms. Getting people to pose as they enter and then taking the pics back and printing out 5x7s and the kids can come back in and view them. If they want them, then they can purchase a pack of pictures as low as 9.99. I think it will go over pretty good. I just have to get approval from both the schools and the boss.

and who is to stop someone else from buying your photos

or throwing them out ?>

HHHMMMM....

Never thought of that...scary...could you just imagine if you made a horrible face in a photo, then found that someone got the photo and put it on some sort of "look at these ugly weirdo people" prank photo site?

Or if you are a "busty gal" (sadly, not I problem I have though, lol) and some perv buys your photo? Or worse a pediphile buys photos of kids...

Yes I know I am stretching here, and why would someone pay $20 for your photo when they can just use their own camera, but you get the idea. I'm sure it's happened at least once...

On our recent Fantasy cruise we had numerous photo's taken, usually DH and me in one and DS in another since he seemed to be either way in fron or way in back of us. When we went to the photo gallery all we could find was our embarkation photo of the three of us together and one of DS with a showgirl. That's all. None of our port photo's were there, none from the dining room, etc. Just two pics. . .

That is too bad, usually they do 5X7's for everything but formal nights where they do the 8X10's. all our photos of getting on the ship, getting off, pirates in the dining room etc are 5X7.

Most of ours were 6x9s...like who makes a frame for that? Perhaps if you trim off the border, it's 5x7 or 4x6? But why can't they just sell the darn 4x6 pictures for a reasonable price - we'd buy a ton of them and Carnival would make more money in the long run. Do they think I'm going to paper my walls with 8x10s?

Whenever I cruise, I usually end up buying a few photos from the gallery. On my last cruise on the Victory, I came home with zero.

The first full day, I searched around for our embarkation photo. I found it, and my hubby is making a face in it, as usual. It was actually kind of funny. But it was an 8x10. Just not worth the cost. I wouldn't mind a 5x7 of it, but just not 8x10 worthy.

I ask if there was any way to have a 5x7 made, and they said no. Well, they lost a sale and my photo went into the garbage.

I just think the cruiselines should implement a system similar to Disney's photopass. I really think they'd make more money, and save some trees with all those wasted photos.

For those who aren't aware, with photopass, you are given a card similar to your sail & sign. The photographer scans the card when he takes a photo. When you get home, you can access all your photos online and order whatever prints you want in whatever size. You can even order everything on a CD.

I think on the cruise it would be great if the photographer could scan your S&S card, and then they'd have a kiosk in the gallery area where you could order whatever prints you want right on the ship.

We didn't even bother to pose for any other photos for the rest of the trip. It seemed like they were just printing out 8x10, and hardly any 5x7's. So it was pointless.

So maybe someday Carnival and other cruiselines will get with the times. :)

(oh, and sorry if this has been discussed a lot before, search wasn't working, as usual).

You know . . . I couldn't agree with you more! It's always been a pet peeve of mine that Carnival doesn't do the "fun" photos in 5X7 and formal photos in the 8X10 . . . with the option, of course, to have any 5X7 blown up to an 8X10 if one so wanted a "fun" photo in the larger size.

On my last cruise, my Coast Guard Officer son took me on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera and needless to say . . . I loved the pictures of him in his dress whites on one of our formal nights and I have those framed photos hanging on the wall in the Media Room. But . . . I just couldn't resist getting the fun ones of him too . . . all of which were 8X10 and the majority of which are hidden away in a photo album. Would have been so much better to have the 5X7 photos to put in one big frame to hang on the wall among the formal photos.

I love what you've said Disney does but I'm sure Carnival would never go that far. I'd just be happy with more 5X7 photos . . . I'd probably even buy more to send to family and friends. :p Tammy

a sheet of mixed 15x7, a 3x5, and 2 walletsor 2 5x7s..just like school photo choices..it was discontinued..they may have a diff vendor/company.it was $10 for that. I loved it..and I dislike the border stuff..rather than the plain, that frame nicely for gifts at Xmas..and..they looked very professional.. I love mine! best ever

I agree with you all, Carnival is the worst with finding photo's and what's up with those sensors set all around the photo gallery when they are out?? Are they really worried that so many people will try to "steal' their photo's?? Our last cruise we came home with 2 photos, normally we come home with 10 or more.

I've not cruised Carnival before, so I want to make sure I understand....

...If I see a picture I like of us (like the formal), I should buy it then because later in the cruise it will be gone? I'm not allowed to stack my pics and pay at the end? And these 8x10's cost how much?

No stacking pictures. They do announce when pictures will be removed. However on the last night I saw several people going through boxes. In these boxes were the photos from the beginning of the cruise.

Are they really worried that so many people will try to "steal' their photo's??

A lot more people try to steal photos than you think.

I've hung around with popcorn and cocktail in hand just to watch how many people try to steel the photos... a lot do. And it's a lot of fun watching them act all inocent when caught.

A lot more people try to steal photos than you think.

I've hung around with popcorn and cocktail in hand just to watch how many people try to steel the photos... a lot do. And it's a lot of fun watching them act all inocent when caught.

That just amazes me. It's always been my belief that what goes around comes around. Mine is more a biblically-based belief, but kharma, juju, whatever - is it really worth it to steal a bloody photograph? And those kinds of people are the types who would think nothing of cheating at anything. I can't stand that.

What I seemed to have observed more was that Senior women were more likely to steal photos than other age groups and gender.

If a person can afford a cruise... they should be able to afford $8 for a photo if they find one they like.

It's an "entitlement" mindset. It usually has nothing whatever to do with whether a person can afford it or not. I find people with that mindset absolutely insufferable.

Whenever I cruise, I usually end up buying a few photos from the gallery. On my last cruise on the Victory, I came home with zero.

The first full day, I searched around for our embarkation photo. I found it, and my hubby is making a face in it, as usual. It was actually kind of funny. But it was an 8x10. Just not worth the cost. I wouldn't mind a 5x7 of it, but just not 8x10 worthy.

I ask if there was any way to have a 5x7 made, and they said no. Well, they lost a sale and my photo went into the garbage.

I just think the cruiselines should implement a system similar to Disney's photopass. I really think they'd make more money, and save some trees with all those wasted photos.

For those who aren't aware, with photopass, you are given a card similar to your sail & sign. The photographer scans the card when he takes a photo. When you get home, you can access all your photos online and order whatever prints you want in whatever size. You can even order everything on a CD.

I think on the cruise it would be great if the photographer could scan your S&S card, and then they'd have a kiosk in the gallery area where you could order whatever prints you want right on the ship.

We didn't even bother to pose for any other photos for the rest of the trip. It seemed like they were just printing out 8x10, and hardly any 5x7's. So it was pointless.

So maybe someday Carnival and other cruiselines will get with the times. :)

(oh, and sorry if this has been discussed a lot before, search wasn't working, as usual).

Lora,

Your right. This had been discussed before but that dang search thing is still down.....

But I totally agree with you.... I had a whole proposed idea for revamping the photo depts. on all cruiselines. Including what you have mentioned. But also, being able to view your photos from the TV in the room and order from there. The 8X10's are ridiculous. Very few people order them and they are too expensive to boot. These cruiselines just don't get it.....

From Cruise Critic's news section

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2453

I'd like to see this implemented.

Enjoy

Ron

Not sure if I understood all that completely but as long as by looking at the kiosk, I don't have to look at 1000's of itty bitty photos to find mine! Sometimes it's hard enough to find them when they are 8X10's when there is so many of them....

I still think if they did the fun pass thing or TV system and then you could order whatever size, that they would make more money. I scrapbook in photo albums and some of them only hold 4X6. I usually scan my 8X10 or 5X7 and then print them as a 4x6. But there's wasted photos just sitting there......

What I seemed to have observed more was that Senior women were more likely to steal photos than other age groups and gender.

If a person can afford a cruise... they should be able to afford $8 for a photo if they find one they like.

What cruiseline has $8 photos? I've been on NCL, Princess and Carnival. I don't recall anything under $10 at the lowest......

Never thought of that...scary...could you just imagine if you made a horrible face in a photo, then found that someone got the photo and put it on some sort of "look at these ugly weirdo people" prank photo site?

Or if you are a "busty gal" (sadly, not I problem I have though, lol) and some perv buys your photo? Or worse a pediphile buys photos of kids...

Yes I know I am stretching here, and why would someone pay $20 for your photo when they can just use their own camera, but you get the idea. I'm sure it's happened at least once...

Actually youre not stretching it. I did photos at a major theme park and you would be surprised how many people bought pictures that were not of them or anyone they knew. And if that doesnt scare you enough there was an employee who worked at the childrens rollercoaster photo area who would steal the pictures of young children.

I would love if Carnival did something like Disney and I would gladly pay for a cd of all of our pictures. I have no use for 8x10's.

So a few questions..

1. Are the photo dept really carnival employees or is this process been given

to a 3rd party.

2. The 8 X 10 are useless for DW scrapbooks.

3. How much $$ are they really making when so many folks, including myself,

will not buy a 8 X 10?

Well, just to assure you , that it probably does happen.

My son who was 15 wanted me to purchase photos of a girl that was sitting at our table, he had a crush on her.

I explained to him, that we couldnt purchase her pics. That was for her dad to do. Those were their pics. And He said he understood that ...:rolleyes:

Well , needless to say ... he bought it later when I wasnt there...with his Sign & sail card... HHHMMM....

and I never found out about it ...

until we were home...

So ... I am sure that it probably does happen

with all the pics that come up missing

either someone else bought them or threw them out...

I know I have had many photos on my last 2 cruises come up missing

and I just wonder:eek:

Archived