Florida Snorkeling?

Hobbz

My wife and I would like to get into snorkeling and we think we could make over to Florida this year. I was wondering if anyone had advice about places to snorkel around Florida. Any places we should check out or not check out? And what kind of wildlife to expect at different places would be fantastic. We would really appreciate any advice.

My wife and I would like to get into snorkeling and we think we could make over to Florida this year. I was wondering if anyone had advice about places to snorkel around Florida. Any places we should check out or not check out? And what kind of wildlife to expect at different places would be fantastic. We would really appreciate any advice.

I'm not sure about ocean snorkeling, but i've done some snorkeling in crystal river with the manatees and on rainbow river and it was great!!!

Key Largo has some excellent snorkeling and many snorkeling/dive operators. We fly into Ft. Lauderdale from New Orleans and then it's a short 1 1/2 hour drive down to Key Largo.

Being close to the Florida panhandle, we've gone snorkeling in Destin area, but I don't think it's worth trying there. Maybe that's because I've snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Tahiti, so it's hard to follow that! lol! You can check out many snorkeling photos in my webshots link below.

I'm sure others will have many more ideas for Florida snorkeling, but give it a try. It's a great hobby that led me to scuba diving and I just got certified last month. :D

Yes, you would need to use a dive/snorkel operator as it is offshore reef snorkeling. It was about a 25-30 minute ride by boat out where we were diving on the reefs. I didn't mean to confuse anyone, thanks for making sure it was clear.

There is a reef just off the beach in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. It's about half way out between the beach and the end of the fishing pier. The water there is about 5 - 10 feet deep, depending on the tide. We saw a lot of fish and a southern ray.

Agree, don't forget Ft. Lauderdale. The gulf stream makes a bend from the keys around the tip of Florida and comes back close to shore north of Miami for 50 miles before heading back out to sea. There are several operators out of Ft. Lauderdale (just google Ft. Lauderdale snorkel trips and I'm sure you'll get hits). As far as what you'll see, pretty much anything that's in the Caribbean is in Florida as well.

Randall

Wow, thanks for the suggestions! I just found a few pictures and videos from Key Largo and Ft. Lauderdale and they were pretty cool. I think we'll try the Key Largo area or Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels or operators in those areas?

Just from my experience, the Holiday Inn Resort was very convenient to the several operators boats. We stayed in the rooms at the back of the hotel facing the parking lot and it was only steps to the boat. The rooms were clean and the property had two nice tropical looking pools with a pool bar, etc. The hotel also sits across the street from Starbucks, Wendy's, Burger King and a strip center with a dive shop, Walgreen's etc.

We used Sea Dwellers for diving, but I know that others have more experience in the Key Largo area. We would return to the same location based on convenience and the professional crew we encountered.

Wow, thanks for the suggestions! I just found a few pictures and videos from Key Largo and Ft. Lauderdale and they were pretty cool. I think we'll try the Key Largo area or Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels or operators in those areas?

In Fort Lauderdale consider - Sea Experience (www.seaxp.com). They're near the cruise port and offere two snorkel trips a day. From their website:

Glass Bottom Snorkel Trips Daily!

Daily Departures at 10:15am & 2:15pm

Adult Snorkerler $35 Adult Rider $28 Child Snorkerler $21 Child Rider $15

Includes snorkel, mask, fins, and snorkel vest. Beverages and snacks sold on board. Gratuities, tax, and towels not included.

Beginners welcome!

Reservations: 954-MARINE1 (954-627-4631)

You can then use the same hotel for the cruise as you do for your snorkeling (Ft. Lauderdale's not that big so you have a choice of renting a car, but we normally just taxi around).

Randall

Hi scubaran, I saw on the website that they do private charters. Did you ever try that? And if you didn't, do you get any say as to what wanted to see or go to?

Hi,

Nope, went with the group on the boat. The snorkeling takes place whereever the calmest water is and the most favorable winds. Pretty much the same for any snorkel boat you do (the plus side is if you don't have any snorkelers with you they still have the "glass-bottom" for them to check out the reef.

r

Archived