Unknown space near cabins on Explorer

I'm very excited about my first post on this site! There are so many helpful people and I've already learned a lot just reading the posts. We've only taken one cruise in over 20 years (in 2004) and are on the verge of doing another.

We have to make a decision by Friday on the Explorer - one cabin is currently being held. Our options are 6352, 6354, 6654, 6656, 7356, and 9658. They are all in the same part of the ship but the deck plans just show an open white area outside the rooms. Does anyone know what's in that area? Or any advice on these rooms in general? We're guessing the higher the better so are holding on Deck 9. smilie11.gif

Thanks!

that is a crew stairwell area....NOT NOISY... I would go either with the 7th deck or 9th so your room is between two floors of rooms rather over the public areas on deck 5 with the 6th floor cabins.

BTW welcome to the boards

A couple of years ago we were cruising with friends whose cabin was next to a staff stairwell. It was very noisy. We were in the cabin a couple of times and you could hear all kind of racket. They said every morning between 5am and 5:30am it sounded like wheeled carts were being bounced down the stairs. And sure enough that's what it was. Don't know why they were using the stairs and not the elevators.

We, on the other hand, were next to one about a year ago and never heard a thing. So, I guess it depends what the stairs are going to be used for.

I am so VERY excited :D - DH finally decided it was a go and we have booked the cruise!!!! In the end a few more rooms opened up and we picked 8222 - no more concerns about crew noise. Further to walk to dinner - maybe work off a few calories on the way! It looked like the closest elevators/stairs will be overlooking the promenade so that seemed cool. And if our 20 year old son decides to splurge on internet he'll be close.

Now have to do airlines, hotels, cab, petsitter, shore excursion....

I'm already sad it's such a short cruise! Guess I better not waste any time sleeping.

But we're going!

I am so VERY excited :D - DH finally decided it was a go and we have booked the cruise!!!! In the end a few more rooms opened up and we picked 8222 - no more concerns about crew noise. Further to walk to dinner - maybe work off a few calories on the way! It looked like the closest elevators/stairs will be overlooking the promenade so that seemed cool. And if our 20 year old son decides to splurge on internet he'll be close.

Now have to do airlines, hotels, cab, petsitter, shore excursion....

I'm already sad it's such a short cruise! Guess I better not waste any time sleeping.

But we're going!

How far are you coming from?

(be aware that internet now costs FIFTY FIVE CENTS per minute! I always have my young adult children cover their own SeaPass accounts. ;))

I would agree with Sue that taking a cabin between 2 pax decks is best choice.

I know sitting in Johnny Rockets listening to the sports court drove me nuts...sounded like the crew was bing beaten by their superiors for not providing good service...:D I even asked if the crew in JR got tired of it and without getting an official yes I did get the yes answer I expected. They said after a while you get used to it, but that would be less than ideal for a cabin. (Not that cabins are right under the sports court but the same general idea does apply.)

Welcome to CC and have a blast on your cruise.

DS can definitely pay for his own internet - but I would love to see him go 5 days without checking his boards (she says as she checks her own boards :p ). He's already got an internship for the summer so he can afford it!

We're coming from Chicago, and visiting relatives in Connecticut for a couple of days after the cruise.

Archived