Cigar Smoking on PG

ORV

Not wanting to start any kind of flame thread on smoking vs not smoking but am curious if cigars are allowed on the PG. It seems to be from the Regent website but these things seems to be in a state of flux on all the cruise lines these days.

I do enjoy my premiums with a good scotch and I'm okay being sent to a corner to smoke, just want to make sure it's not prohibited completely.

Thanks for any info.

There used to be a Connoisseur Club designed for smoking and especially cigars. But I believe it's gone, made over into extra cabins. I believe you can smoke on deck. In the old days (2000), it was traditional for one side of the pool deck to be smoking, one side not. Not sure how it works now. Of course there is no smoking in suites any more, or on balconies.

Speaking as someone who gets physically ill when I smell cigar smoke, I would hope that wherever you were allowed to smoke, you would be considerate of those around you.

I always try to follow the rules which I feel is being considerate to others. I also like to know the rules before I spend money. That's why I am trying to find out others experiences.

Thanks for the info. It's a shame cigar smells make you feel ill. Unfortunately most people's exposure to cigars is cheap drugstore cigars. Of course as we all know, enjoying fine premium cigars is more akin to wine and food appreciation. It just another facet of enjoying the finer things in life.

YMMV.

Wendy, I thought RSSC was now no smoking period. Is smoking allowed on decks?

That would be contrary to their posted policy on their website and what I was told by Regent Customer Service today.

I was told I could smoke cigars anywhere smoking is allowed, which I feel is probably not correct.

According to their website it is allowed at a designated section of the pool bar. As I said before I'm okay with a little corner, as long as I know where that little corner is.

Yes Vaitape, rssc are now completely non-smoking indoors. The website says these are the PG smoking areas:

La Palette (outside area only), Le Grill (designated area), Pool Bar

Then on the subject of cigars it says:

Cigar smoking is only permitted in the Connoisseur Club aboard Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator, and in the designated area of the Pool Bar area aboard all four vessels.

Pipe smokers have it worse:

Pipe smoking is only permitted in the Connoisseur Club aboard Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator. Pipe smoking in open deck areas is considered an extreme fire hazard and is not permitted.

Orv, all cigars do it for me, even good ones. I know they taste good, but just can't stand the smell. Funny, since I quite enjoy the scent of good pipe tobacco (although my husband finally quit smoking, including his pipe some time ago.)

I don't have any input regarding your cigar smoking question, but I recognized your screen name, we were both on the Silver Whisper in December 2004. Just wanted to say, I hope you enjoy the Paul Gauguin as much as we have. The FPs are true paradise - enjoy every minute! :)

Thanks for saying hi. We also hope to make it back to Silversea sometime if the right itinerary and right price comes along.

Glad to hear the PG comes well recommended. We're real excited about this trip.

Well just so you know going in, the PG is much less of a "luxury" ship than the Whisper (i.e., the cabins aren't as large nor as well-appointed), but it's got lots of charm and absolutely the best staff/crew we've ever encountered on a cruise. The scenery is so beautiful - there just aren't words to describe. As long as you go in with appropriate expectations, you will have a fantastic time and this will provide memories for a lifetime.

Be sure to find La Palette at the aft for your before- and after-dinner drinks. If the band Siglo is still playing, you are in for a TREAT.

Moorea was our favorite island - do rent a car or dune buggy and drive around the whole thing.

And, buy a black pearl at Nyco's on Bora Bora for your SO! They custom-make every piece, so you can pick whatever pearl you want and have them place it in any mount. They even served me champagne (the real stuff) when I made my purchase, and believe me, I wasn't making a major purchase! Unlike most women :), I am not a "jewelry person" (I'd rather spend money on vacations), but a black pearl is so exotic and special, I couldn't say no.

Enjoy every minute!!!

Yes Vaitape, rssc are now completely non-smoking indoors. The website says these are the PG smoking areas:

La Palette (outside area only), Le Grill (designated area), Pool Bar

Then on the subject of cigars it says:

Cigar smoking is only permitted in the Connoisseur Club aboard Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator, and in the designated area of the Pool Bar area aboard all four vessels.

Pipe smokers have it worse:

Pipe smoking is only permitted in the Connoisseur Club aboard Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator. Pipe smoking in open deck areas is considered an extreme fire hazard and is not permitted.

Orv, all cigars do it for me, even good ones. I know they taste good, but just can't stand the smell

A "good" cigar; sorry, that's an oxymoron to me. The odor nauseates me terribly. It's unfortunate that the very few who smoke them really and truly ruin the surrounding area for those who cannot tolerate (or simply dislike) the smell.

I don't understand why they would be permitted in any outdoor area on a ship where nonsmokers could smell them. The pool deck? Oh no!

We were so looking forward to cruising on RSSC, especially looking into the Mariner for the Grand Pacific Asia segments but we cannot even consider this cruise line as long as cigars are permitted to be smoked where we will have to inhale them. We spend a lot of time around the pools.

Closed off cigar rooms make more sense, if sense can be made of this noxious habit at all.

Could someone "in the know" tell me if there is a "time of day" prohibition at least? That is, are the cigars prohibited during the day time around the pool deck and prohibited at deck parties?

I don't understand why they would be permitted in any outdoor area on a ship where nonsmokers could smell them.

I don't usually reply to my own posts, but a good friend of mine reminds me that it is not only nonsmokers who are bothered and/or made physically ill by the odor of cigars (not just cheap cigars, but ALL cigars), but many cigarette smokers, as well. It is she and her husband—both occasional cigarette smokers (trying to quit)—who will be cancelling their booked cruise on the Paul Gauguin because cigars are permitted to be smoked on deck.

http://www.rssc.com/smokingpolicy

Above is the link to RSSC's smoking policy. So, you can read it for yourselves, it is no secret, it is on RSSC's website. Pasted below is what they have to say specifically on the subject of cigars.

"Cigar smoking is only permitted in the Connoisseur Club aboard Seven Seas Voyager, Mariner and Navigator, and in the designated area of the Pool Bar area aboard all four vessels."

Having recently returned from Mariner I can tell you that the designated smoking area of the Pool Bar is aft and starboard. There are no time of day restrictions, as far as I know, people can smoke there 24/7. The Pool Deck is large enough that unless the ship is sitting still and the wind is blowing forward, that you should be able to stay upwind of a cigar smoker. Good luck, Debbie

. It is she and her husband—both occasional cigarette smokers (trying to quit)—who will be canceling their booked cruise on the Paul Gauguin because cigars are permitted to be smoked on deck.

Now that really is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. There are probably so few cigar smokers, if any!

Why in the world would someone cancel a cruise " just in case" someone were to smoke a cigar on deck? If that were to happen, they could go ANYWHERE else on the entire ship to escape the smell. If they're so neurotic about this, probably best they stay home.

I dislike cigar smoke too but I'll gladly go in their place!!

Archived