NCL Jade cruise 4/23 questions

Calimoby

First time cruisers here with a few questions.

1. With our laptop and an ethernet connector, do we still have to pay to use the internet on NCL Jade?

2. Do we need an international calling plan to use our cell phone?

3. Looking for helpful hints on shore trips not sponsored by the ship. Our ports of call are Katakolon, Corfu, Alexandria (want to stay there, been to Cairo already), Iraklion, Santorini, Mykonos, Izmir and Istanbul.

4. Do we need advance visas for any of these ports?

Janet and Jim

Queensbury, NY

Janet & Jim

1. Yes

2. Appears to vary, from what I can tell, you may need a different SIM card. Do a search of the forums (not just NCL) and you can find some advice...or do like me and look forward to 12 days without a phone!

3.Glad to hear you will be joining us.....click on "roll calls" and then on NCL and then on JADE and join our crew...you will find lots of information on the exursions. You should also check out the "Ports of Call" board, you can find info on all but Egypt on the Europe board and then on the Northern Africa board you can find info on Egypt.

4.It doesn't appear you have to have Visas in advance, but it is unclear if or how much NCL is going to charge for getting them on your behalf. This has also been discussed a bunch on our roll call as well as other similar iteniaries.

Clay

You'll have to buy an internet plan at the Internet Cafe. If you plan to access the net often, you're better off with the 250 minute plan for $100. On both NCL cruises we've been on, they offered an additional 30 minutes with the plan if you signed up the first day. They also have daily happy hour specials, such as use the net for 20 minutes between 4 pm and 6 pm and get 10 minutes credit--things like that. There are wi-fi hotspots in various parts of the ship or you can just use the internet cafe stations. I don't think any of the staterooms have wi-fi access. I dragged my laptop along on the Dream but left it at home on the Sun and just used the ship's PCs. They had plenty of stations. It's just one less thing to drag along.

Check with your current cell phone provider and ask them: (1) if they offer an international calling plan and (2) if your phone is compatible for use in Europe. I'd recommend staying away from rental phones. They sound good but are full of hidden charges that usually triple the rate advertised.

Bring a power strip if you have lots of gadgets to charge: cell phone, ipod, cameras, etc.

By all means join your ship's roll call. You'll find lots of great advice and tips there.

Don't forget rule number one: relax and have fun. You're on vacation.

You'll have to buy an internet plan at the Internet Cafe. If you plan to access the net often, you're better off with the 250 minute plan for $100. On both NCL cruises we've been on, they offered an additional 30 minutes with the plan if you signed up the first day. They also have daily happy hour specials, such as use the net for 20 minutes between 4 pm and 6 pm and get 10 minutes credit--things like that. There are wi-fi hotspots in various parts of the ship or you can just use the internet cafe stations. I don't think any of the staterooms have wi-fi access. I dragged my laptop along on the Dream but left it at home on the Sun and just used the ship's PCs. They had plenty of stations. It's just one less thing to drag along.

Check with your current cell phone provider and ask them: (1) if they offer an international calling plan and (2) if your phone is compatible for use in Europe. I'd recommend staying away from rental phones. They sound good but are full of hidden charges that usually triple the rate advertised.

Bring a power strip if you have lots of gadgets to charge: cell phone, ipod, cameras, etc.

By all means join your ship's roll call. You'll find lots of great advice and tips there.

Don't forget rule number one: relax and have fun. You're on vacation.

I just purchsased a mobal brand phone b/c I am leaving my 2 boys with my husband to take a grandmother, mother, daughter trip. I will let you know how it goes since I sail on the Jade on 3/30 from Barcelona to Istanbul.

Archived