Mini vs. Balcony and Comparison to Carnival Balconies?

TennisLover

Toto that is a great thing to mention, we have always had suites or minis but when we took my inlaws we got them a balcony cabin and I was shocked to see they had no couch just one chair and the bed. They had been on a Disney cruise with us another time and the balcony cabin we got them had a couch so I just assumed this would too.

The mini suite is more like the balcony cabin on Disney.

I have read many reports from those coming from other cruise lines who expect Princess staterooms to be similar to those on lines like Disney, RCI, HAL and Carnival. When they get to the ship and come back here to report, many are very disappointed that their balcony cabin is nothing more than a small bedroom with a balcony. Thought it might save some from thinking otherwise. Princess is different.............expecially in the stateroom department. ;) Hope it helps someone be prepared if that is what they decide to book.

Hi Tennis Lover,

You've had loads of pics so I won't offer mine, but I will offer my two-cents worth of opinion!

We only go on a cruise every two years, so I'm not going to quibble over a couple of hundred dollars. We looked very carefully at the larger balcony but smaller room (Balcony room) vs the normal sized balcony, larger room (Mini-suite) before choosing the mini suite on Dolphin.

1. You won't regret the larger room. We had a full day of rain in Jamaica and never left our room but to eat. We watched movies, and read all day, sitting on our very own couch. It would not have been as comfortable sitting on the bed or one of us on a chair.

2. don't forget you get a bath tub with Mini suite.

3. The balcony was plenty large enough for two people in the mini-suite. If you're planning to host parties out there, ok, you may need to rethink it.

4. Yes, there is a huge price jump for full suites--that's because there are so few of them and they are really special. I'm not in that price bracket but I don't begrudge those who can afford them.

Enjoy your cruise!

http://69.63.134.90/gallery/view.php?id=2180 scroll down for pics of stateroom and balcony

This is on Diamond Princess - sister ship to Sapphire. It is Mini E728, the last mini aft. It (and the same mini on other side) has the larger balcony which we loved. Mini's on Emerald Deck are fully covered as opposed to mini's on Dolphin which are fully exposed. We loved this stateroom and have it booked on Star in October.

Thanks so much for posting the pix. We have E728 booked on the Star this May. It's even nicer than I thought :)

The only time they have a different layout is on the smaller Sun Class ships (Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess), then the minis are designed more like the full suites on the larger ships but also change in layout from port and starboard (which are one design)and aft minis, a totally different layout .

You will be forever spoiled after staying in a mini or suite on the Sun class.:) They are even much bigger than a Carnival Cateogry 11 or Category 12 Suite.

Okay, so if we like a regular balcony cabin on Carnival, we will need to book a mini-suite to get the same amount of room on Princess? Looking at the Crown for next winter which has a wonderful eastern itinerary but we enjoy our room and want to be sure to understand what a regular balcony cabin is on Princess.

Thanks!

Okay, so if we like a regular balcony cabin on Carnival, we will need to book a mini-suite to get the same amount of room on Princess? Looking at the Crown for next winter which has a wonderful eastern itinerary but we enjoy our room and want to be sure to understand what a regular balcony cabin is on Princess.

Thanks!

What the main thing is on Princess is that a regular balcony cabin does NOT include a real sitting area, loveseat, couch, just one upholstered chair. It is more like a bedroom and bath combo. That's why the mini suite would be more comfortable for you if you are used to having that on Carnival.

Although I think the minis are a tad larger on Princess then Carnival's balcony cabins, there are also other great things about it like two televisions, a full sized tub/shower combination, and tons of storage space. Definitely book a mini suite if you plan to spend any time at all relaxing in your stateroom on Princess.

DH just needs more space in the cabin. Don't get me wrong - the other things are nice, but not necessary for us. We both really, really want to try Princess and want to select a cabin that works for him.

I think for you- a regular balcony on Princess will not be what you are looking for- no seating area- gotta sit on the bed/ or the one chair in the room

We booked a mini suite this time on the Crown- E731 which has one of the bigger balconies on the aft.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/561572662IgRTfG

When I was looking for a mini - I found that some balconies are opened to the balconies above-- so becareful with that

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2505348950094389679okmzQw

I think for you- a regular balcony on Princess will not be what you are looking for- no seating area- gotta sit on the bed/ or the one chair in the room

We booked a mini suite this time on the Crown- E731 which has one of the bigger balconies on the aft.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/561572662IgRTfG

When I was looking for a mini - I found that some balconies are opened to the balconies above-- so becareful with that

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2505348950094389679okmzQw

On the Caribbean Princess, which decks have minis with balconies with more privacy?

Also, is the mini balcony smaller than the balcony of a regular balcony room?

I find the Princess deck plans hard to figure out, maybe because I've never been on a Princess ship...

On the Caribbean Princess, which decks have minis with balconies with more privacy?

Also, is the mini balcony smaller than the balcony of a regular balcony room?

I find the Princess deck plans hard to figure out, maybe because I've never been on a Princess ship...

For me-- I find the deck plans for Princess to be not as easy to "see" as on the carnival deck plans. At least you can see that there are differences on the balconies.. and with Carnival-- I know the differences. (i know what to look for)

With Princess I am still learning my way around.

I found-- by reading here-- The best balcony cabin is a BB C753 or C752 located on the aft which have huge balconies - only one neighbor- our own hall way- but the cabin was smaller then what we had on a reg balcony with carnival. (no sitting area)

For our next cruise on the Crown we booked the same cabin until I read and read and read and found the best mini for us was on the Emerald deck- E731- Again by looking at the deck plans it looks the same as the rest-- but looking at photos the balcony goes back further- the cabin aove it is opened. (since that balcony is above ours it kinda gives our balcony a cover.

If you can grab e 731 0r the one on the other side e730

Now if someone can tell me that there is a better mini for the same price--

For me-- I find the deck plans for Princess to be not as easy to "see" as on the carnival deck plans. At least you can see that there are differences on the balconies.. and with Carnival-- I know the differences. (i know what to look for)

With Princess I am still learning my way around.

I found-- by reading here-- The best balcony cabin is a BB C753 or C752 located on the aft which have huge balconies - only one neighbor- our own hall way- but the cabin was smaller then what we had on a reg balcony with carnival. (no sitting area)

For our next cruise on the Crown we booked the same cabin until I read and read and read and found the best mini for us was on the Emerald deck- E731- Again by looking at the deck plans it looks the same as the rest-- but looking at photos the balcony goes back further- the cabin aove it is opened. (since that balcony is above ours it kinda gives our balcony a cover.

If you can grab e 731 0r the one on the other side e730

Now if someone can tell me that there is a better mini for the same price--

Thanks so much for the response! I am glad I am not the only one who has trouble with the Princess deck plans.

I would LOVE an aft mini or even an aft regular balcony, but as this cruise is only seven months from now it looks like the prime afts have been snapped up already (as far as I can see on the Princess website; I searched for specific cabin numbers, including E731 and E730, but they were not available :( ).

So, I would now love to find a mini with a private balcony.

following refers to 'side' balconies only, i.e. those on starboard or port sides of any ‘Grand’ class ship (Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald etc)....

Baja deck balconies are sized 9 ft. wide x 5 ft. deep and have full ceiling overhang. Lido, Aloha, Riviera (found on Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Ruby only) decks have the same balconies. You can stand at the railing of these balconies and look down on to part of the Caribe deck balconies and all of the Dolphin deck balconies.

Caribe deck balconies are sized 9 ft. wide x 9 ft. deep and have ceiling overhang over the first 5 ft. Standing at the railing, you will overlook Dolphin deck balconies below.

All of the cabin interiors/bathrooms of the balcony cabins are the same with respect to size (unless it is a handicapped cabin).

Dolphin deck balconies (all balcony cabins are actually mini-suites and thus bigger than regular balcony cabins on the interior with sitting area, 2nd TV and bathtub/shower combination instead of the small shower stall found in the regular balcony cabins). The balcony is sized 9 ft. wide x 7 ft. deep and has no ceiling overhang as protection from sun or rain.

Emerald deck has several mini-suites each side with fully covered balconies. The last mini-suite cabin towards aft end on each side has extra wide balcony – approximately 7 ft. deep x 18 wide, according to someone who stayed in one of these. Emerald deck also has some regular balcony cabins near the front that have the balconies set back under the roof and back from the railing. You look straight out to the water but cannot look down on the water. The walking track goes past these balconies and walkers can see you on your balcony. I do not have any measurements for these Emerald deck balcony sizes.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Keep checking the Princess website for the stateroom you want. We booked a mini for our upcoming Star cruise. We wanted one of the last minis on either side as the balcony is larger but they were booked so we booked another mini. I checked everyday and both of the ones I wanted opened up and I called our TA and changed. We love that larger balcony.

following refers to 'side' balconies only, i.e. those on starboard or port sides of any ‘Grand’ class ship (Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald etc)....

Baja deck balconies are sized 9 ft. wide x 5 ft. deep and have full ceiling overhang. Lido, Aloha, Riviera (found on Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Ruby only) decks have the same balconies. You can stand at the railing of these balconies and look down on to part of the Caribe deck balconies and all of the Dolphin deck balconies.

Caribe deck balconies are sized 9 ft. wide x 9 ft. deep and have ceiling overhang over the first 5 ft. Standing at the railing, you will overlook Dolphin deck balconies below.

All of the cabin interiors/bathrooms of the balcony cabins are the same with respect to size (unless it is a handicapped cabin).

Dolphin deck balconies (all balcony cabins are actually mini-suites and thus bigger than regular balcony cabins on the interior with sitting area, 2nd TV and bathtub/shower combination instead of the small shower stall found in the regular balcony cabins). The balcony is sized 9 ft. wide x 7 ft. deep and has no ceiling overhang as protection from sun or rain.

Emerald deck has several mini-suites each side with fully covered balconies. The last mini-suite cabin towards aft end on each side has extra wide balcony – approximately 7 ft. deep x 18 wide, according to someone who stayed in one of these. Emerald deck also has some regular balcony cabins near the front that have the balconies set back under the roof and back from the railing. You look straight out to the water but cannot look down on the water. The walking track goes past these balconies and walkers can see you on your balcony. I do not have any measurements for these Emerald deck balcony sizes.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for the info, this really helps!

Keep checking the Princess website for the stateroom you want. We booked a mini for our upcoming Star cruise. We wanted one of the last minis on either side as the balcony is larger but they were booked so we booked another mini. I checked everyday and both of the ones I wanted opened up and I called our TA and changed. We love that larger balcony.

Great point, thanks for the tip!

Ok....here goes...

We are doing Princess for the first time.

4 of us, DH 6'4", DS 18 who is 6'2", DS 15 who is 6"2". and myself. We are doing just a balcony room. Looked into minisute, but it was a lot more $$ and we are mid ship. I really wanted to be midship. Last cruise I was on, it was Aft, on Celebrity, the balcony was huge, but it was noisy sometimes, and very rocky.

However after reading this, we are on baja deck, and the thought of all of us sitting on the bed, sounds a bit squishy....

What to do, we are going with other family, a few doors down. Do I move to a minisuite, because we will be much more comfortable?

It depends on how much time you spend in your stateroom whether a balcony cabin with 4 people would be comfortable for you. But as you have read, there isn't a lot of places to sit in a balcony room except for the bed. One upholstered chair and one desk chair is all the seating inside a balcony room affords. (and there isn't much room for anything more I might add).

Personally, I feel a mini suite would be much more comfortable for four passengers.

Ok....here goes...

4 of us, DH 6'4", DS 18 who is 6'2", DS 15 who is 6"2". and myself. We are doing just a balcony room. Looked into minisute, but it was a lot more $$ and we are mid ship. I really wanted to be midship. Last cruise I was on, it was Aft, on Celebrity, the balcony was huge, but it was noisy sometimes, and very rocky.

However after reading this, we are on baja deck, and the thought of all of us sitting on the bed, sounds a bit squishy....

What to do, we are going with other family, a few doors down. Do I move to a mini

suite, because we will be much more comfortable?[/quote

I would go to one balcony & one inside:rolleyes: .

Jan

Ok....here goes...

What to do, we are going with other family, a few doors down. Do I move to a mini

suite, because we will be much more comfortable?[/quote

I would go to one balcony & one inside:rolleyes: .

Jan

how much time will the kids be in the cabin? I know mine were there to sleep and shower-- that was it.

go to http://www.webshots.com and do a search of Princess Balcony cabins to see what you are getting. For two of us it was ok. Couldnt imagine 4 of us in there. How much more to do an inside cabin across the hall?

Well, Thanks to all, we changed to Mini-suite.

I think we will be much happier. I am sorry we don't have an overhang on our balcony. Just in case it rains, it would be nice, but hey, at least we all don't have to sit on the bed. And I guess in this room, their isn't even a bed big enough for all of us to sit on.

Well, I am very excited to go...

Thanks again

So, I would now love to find a mini with a private balcony.

On all Grand Class ships, Grand up to the new Ruby, Mini suites are mainly on Dolphin which all have totally uncovered balconies. There are a few mini suites on Emerald which have totally covered balconies, but these are all towards the aft of the ship and above one of the show longes.

Hope this helps.

TennisLover-Another tip for pics. If you go to webshots and put in Princess mini suite, it will pull up hundreds of pictures from different angles if you would like to see more. Lots of different views.

Toto, Where do I find the webshots?? Thanks in advance. Sue

Archived