any one afraid of stingrays?

chickiemama

No. I have been to Stingray city twice. These stingrays are very tame. They have spent their entire lives around people. They are used to being fed and handled by people and they aren't interested in "biting the hand that feeds them". Relax and enjoy the experience.

I hope this helps!

The woman that died in the keys was due to a freak accident. Stingray City has hundreds of TAME stingrays. I have been there two times, and both trips were very enjoyable.

I booked with Captain Bryan. He is a 3 minute walk from the tenders.

Go for it. You have a better chance of slipping on the deck of the ship and breaking your leg while taking in your 6th margarita after lunch....

Cheers!

It was a different type of ray that jumped into the woman in Florida. The ones at stingray city see these lovely people with their tasty squid several times a day. I'm a 49 year old non-risk taking lady. I'll be going back to the Caymans in February with a group of ladies and we will be heading to stingray city. I thought it was wonderful.

I can't believe this was even brought up. :confused:

The woman in question was killed in an accidental collision with an Eagle Ray, not a Stringray, in a freak accident.

She was not stung. She was in a moving boat that happened to cross the path of a jumping ray. She died from blunt force trauma to the head. The poor ray probably died too.

Why would this make anyone nervous??????? About what????????? What are the chances of this ever happening again????

I can't believe this was even brought up. :confused:

The woman in question was killed in an accidental collision with an Eagle Ray, not a Stringray, in a freak accident.

She was not stung. She was in a moving boat that happened to cross the path of a jumping ray. She died from blunt force trauma to the head. The poor ray probably died too.

Why would this make anyone nervous??????? About what????????? What are the chances of this ever happening again????

No need to yell at the OP. She asked a simple question because she was concerned. I don't blame her. It's something I think about even though I love the stingrays.

No need to yell at the OP.

Oops. I wasn't yelling at the OP. I'm truly sorry if it sounded that way.

I just couldn't understand why anyone would be nervous about stingrays because of a freak occurrence like this.

I had a friend whose husband was seriously injured because a branch fell on his head. It was a devastating injury but that doesn't mean that we should fear trees or never walk beneath them. That's what I was getting at here.

When I wrote the original post I was thinking of sharks. So many people fear them that they turn a blind eye when they are slaughtered by the millions.

I don't want to see the same unfounded prejudice against stingrays. After Steve Irwin's death a lot of people have come to fear them needlessly. I bet if he could talk from wherever he was he would defend the ray that got him.

Oops. I wasn't yelling at the OP. I'm truly sorry if it sounded that way.

Well, I think I was having a moment myself. :)

I just couldn't understand why anyone would be nervous about stingrays because of a freak occurrence like this.

I love to snorkel and be around the stingrays, but no one else in my family enjoys this at all. In fact, after the Steve Irwin incident, I could barely get them in the water.

I had a friend whose husband was seriously injured because a branch fell on his head. It was a devastating injury but that doesn't mean that we should fear trees or never walk beneath them. That's what I was getting at here.

I see what you mean. I suppose for many, at least I was this way, the first experience with the stingrays can be somewhat scary. I just wasn't sure what to expect, but now I wouldn't visit GC without doing Stingray Sandbar. I don't know if I'll be able to talk my family into going with me, but I know I'll be there.

I do think that the stingrays in GC are different. Sure, things can happen, and every once in a blue moon you hear about someone getting stung, but considering how many people visit Stingray Sandbar each year, I'd bet the chances of winning the lottery are greater than getting stung by a stingray (there anyway).

When I wrote the original post I was thinking of sharks. So many people fear them that they turn a blind eye when they are slaughtered by the millions.

Sharks terrify me. They do. There may be nothing to fear with sharks, but I do not want to snorkel near them. But that's just me. And I do not think that any of the wonderful creatures should be slaughtered.

I don't want to see the same unfounded prejudice against stingrays.

I see your point, and you're right. :)

After Steve Irwin's death a lot of people have come to fear them needlessly. I bet if he could talk from wherever he was he would defend the ray that got him.

I'm sure you're right about Steve Irwin.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your point of view on this topic. I'm passionate about many things, and it sounds like you're a very caring person. I do apologize for my post to you. :)

It's interesting to note that the media jumped all over this unfortunate accident as "another Steve Irwin incident" when really the ray jumped and the woman fell (one report I read questioned the "collision" part of the incident) and hit her head on the boat and died. "Woman falls in boat" is not a news story that will generate high sales..."woman killed by ray" would.

Thankfully, more accurate info is coming to light, but the inaccurate "fear-mongering" to sell papers is still damaging to the reputations of both the rays and tourist attractions like Stingray City. The average person isn't an expert on rays and their behaviours, and wouldn't know that it's different types of rays and a very unusual incident, and would justifiably be concerned...completely unnecessarily, but how would they know?

While I'd be happier with fewer people at Stingray City...fewer people means more "squid love" for me... :D ...I still feel obligated to reassure people when they express their concerns. From my experience, Stingray City seems to be about the same level of danger as your local petting zoo. You're more in danger of getting accidentally knocked off your feet as the rays look for their snacks than you are of getting attacked or stung. Sure, you want to behave in a cautious and responsible manner, as you would around any wild or even domesticated animals, but the rays at Stingray City have never struck me as the least bit dangerous...

I never felt in danger of the rays in Stingray city. Never.

Funny how one particular poster couldn't believe the ray actually jumped from the water in one thread, but then says it here like it was always common knowledge.

Everyone keep in mind that Stingray is a general term and there are many species of Rays.

As others have said, please don't be scared b'c the sting ray that hit the woman was a completely different kind that are known to swim along the surface of the water, they shoot up and out to get away from predators and to clean themselves off if they have parasites or whatever... the ones at Sting Ray city tend to be bottom swimmers and really only come up when they think you have food or when the guides bring them up. Here is a pic that I've posted before of just what shenanigans these docile creatures will put up with:

Tell me she doesn't look like she's enjoying this just as much as he is! I swear they are in LOVE! LOL!

SheldonandBigMamaGrandCayman.jpg

After Sheldon was done french kissing Big Mama he also ran his tongue down the length of her barb! AAAK! I wasn't quick enough to get a pic.

I think that was a bit extreme, but you had to be there, it was hilarious. He was trying to put a woman at ease, she was freaking out at the size of big mama.

Another good thing to know is that the enormous ones are females, averaging 80 pounds. The little ones are male and they average 8 pounds. Guess we know who wears the pants in the stingray households! LOL!

Eagle ray lands in boat... causes feak death. That's wild! They are after all wild.

Tarpon that jump into boats can cause a lot of damage too. That happens around here occassionally.

I've swam with rays in GC a couple times and in Belize. They're fairly harmless and docile. But its wild life, that what makes it interesting and exciting. In GC I was biten by a big ray; it mistook my big toe for the similar sized and colored bait fish the guides use to feed them. Big rays have powerful, but flat teeth; like being bit by a horse (not quite as severe). Briefly painful, mainly a startle, no broken skin. It didn't take away from the experience at all; it was the first time I'd swam with rays... It reminded me that they are wildlife (with eyes on one side of their body and a mouth on the other).

Eagle ray lands in boat... causes feak death. That's wild! They are after all wild.

Tarpon that jump into boats can cause a lot of damage too. That happens around here occassionally.

I've swam with rays in GC a couple times and in Belize. They're fairly harmless and docile. But its wild life, that what makes it interesting and exciting. In GC I was biten by a big ray; it mistook my big toe for the similar sized and colored bait fish the guides use to feed them. Big rays have powerful, but flat teeth; like being bit by a horse (not quite as severe). Briefly painful, mainly a startle, no broken skin. It didn't take away from the experience at all; it was the first time I'd swam with rays... It reminded me that they are wildlife (with eyes on one side of their body and a mouth on the other).

What you were "bitten" with most likely was the hard outer "gums" of the sting ray, their sharp teeth are actually further into their mouths, not near the opening. Their mouths have mega suction power so when they move in to eat something --in your case a toe, in my case a thumb that was not tucked in as I attempted to give the sweetheart a hunk o' squid--between the hard gums and the suction it feels like you've been bitten, not hard and not enough to break skin, but still forceful, but not super painful. More like a hard bump?? And you're right, more of a startling thing than actually painful.

Just keep your toes a smidge dug into the sand when standing, shuffle your feet along the ocean floor when you walk rather than picking your feet way up and putting them down hard, and keep your fingers tucked in if they are swimming around or when you are feeding them. If they do happen to get a hold of a toe/thumb/worse, they'll quickly realize it's not the yummy squid or fish they were after and will immediately release the suction.

I also found myself digging my toes/feet into the sand and didn't move around much because I didn't want to accidentally step on one. (LOL)!

I wouldn't say I was afraid, but it is definitely a different experience being right in the water with them swimming up along side you around you, etc.

Two of my kids were afraid, but eventually made their way into the water long enough for me to get a picture of them holding/kissing one! Now I think they'd like to go back another time when they would be more willing to get in right from the start and have more time to spend in the water.

As others have said, please don't be scared b'c the sting ray that hit the woman was a completely different kind that are known to swim along the surface of the water, they shoot up and out to get away from predators and to clean themselves off if they have parasites or whatever... the ones at Sting Ray city tend to be bottom swimmers and really only come up when they think you have food or when the guides bring them up. Here is a pic that I've posted before of just what shenanigans these docile creatures will put up with:

Tell me she doesn't look like she's enjoying this just as much as he is! I swear they are in LOVE! LOL!

SheldonandBigMamaGrandCayman.jpg

After Sheldon was done french kissing Big Mama he also ran his tongue down the length of her barb! AAAK! I wasn't quick enough to get a pic.

I think that was a bit extreme, but you had to be there, it was hilarious. He was trying to put a woman at ease, she was freaking out at the size of big mama.

Another good thing to know is that the enormous ones are females, averaging 80 pounds. The little ones are male and they average 8 pounds. Guess we know who wears the pants in the stingray households! LOL!

Sheldon was our tour guide and we loved him! I talked with Sharon last night - to confirm our tour - and I told her how much we liked him. She wasn't sure if we would get him again, but I really hope we do.

I have never had any desire to swim with the rays but I did like the picture. Didn't relize they were so big.

Pat, you don't know what you're missing. If you have good guides who tell you what to do and how, the rays will be comfortable and it's not a scarey experience. They are very docile creatures...it's like having an old gentle dog or cat just gently brushing your legs, looking for love (in the form of a yummy piece of squid!)

I say that now, but it did take me a good 5-10 mins of screaming and practically wetting my pants (bathing suit?) when they first started rubbing up against me...I was so spooked but after a few mins I loved it and couldn't get enough.

It's an experience I'll never forget, and ranks up there pretty high on my list of "cool things we've done."

Jungle Jane- I totally agree with you! They are my new passion, but I was also nervous for a few minutes then it was unreal!;) I can't wait to see them again and take my daughter this time:D I would recommend this to everyone!:p

Can someone tell me where you go for these tours, how much they cost and how long they are.

Thank you

We always use Captain Marvin's for our excursions. For our first time on the island, we went with the shorter excursion so we'd have time to do other things. Now we only visit GC for land vacations, so we do the longer excursions. :)

http://www.captainmarvins.com

Can someone tell me where you go for these tours, how much they cost and how long they are.

Thank you

After doing much research, my opinion is that the best one is Native Way Watersports http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

They offer a tour called Rays Reef and Rum Point which includes a 10-15 min bus ride from the pier to the Yacht club, then a boat ride down the canal where you can ogle the $$$$$$$$$ homes along the canal, then out to Sting Ray City for about 45 mins, then snorkeling the reef for another 45, then a final stop at Rum Point for lunch (included) and lounging. From RP you hop back in the boat and head back to the yacht club, then back on the bus and back to the pier. The whole thing is about 4-5 hours long and is $60 pp, as I say lunch is included and the food at RP is fabulous if you like seafood. RP offer lots of different options for lunch including burgers, chicken and hotdogs but their specialty is seafood-conch fritters, fish and chips, fresh catch of the day...yummmm...

Sharon and Eldon own the company and they and the crew are great, they really want you to have a great time in GC and they guarantee to get you back to your ship in time. Read back on the Grand Cayman boards and you'll see tons of great reviews of the place.

My DD's (20, 22 & 24+bf who is 25) were in the water with the Stingrays at Stingray City Sandbar last week. They said the Stingrays are downright loveable.

They like to be petted (a certain way, you get instructions) and when my DD's ran out of food (SR's love squid) the SR's nudged my daughter's for a pet.

Archived