best cruising age

nccruiser24

What do you think is the best age to start taking your children on a cruise and why? My husband and I love to cruise but plan on starting a family soon. I was wondering what experience people had with bringing young children/babies onboard.

When I was younger I wanted to take my infant on a cruise but couldn't swing it financially. Now that I am older, I don't think I would take a child that is too young to participate in the kids activities. I think on most cruises the age for the activities is 3 years old and potty trained.

My kids atarted when they were 1 1/2. They loved it. Granted we did not have alot of time to ourselves, but have wonderful memories. If you travel with a group, maybe one night someone would be willing to watch them for awhile.

What do you think is the best age to start taking your children on a cruise and why? My husband and I love to cruise but plan on starting a family soon. I was wondering what experience people had with bringing young children/babies onboard.

It depends on your circumstances. I took my twins starting at 13 months because I work full time and cruising is the best way for us to spend time together where mommy doesn't have to do any chores. If you want to take a vacation and bring your child, I think a cruise is the best way at any age. If you want quality time with your husband, you need to be careful of which line you choose so you can take advantage of sitting services.

RCCL will provide babysitting in your cabin after 1 year old. Carnival provides group sitting to under-2s and both Carnival and NCL provide kids programs for 2 year olds even if they're not potty trained. I hear that Disney and Cunard have nurseries. But if you want to be able to choose any line and have your child fully participate, 3 and potty trained seems to be the base age (though Princess doesn't require their 3 year olds to be potty trained).

My girls cruised at 13 months, 20 months, 2 years and 3 years and each time it gets better and better, but I wouldn't have skipped those first cruises for anything.

Best,

Mia

Depends on your outlook. Some will say that's it's much easier with an infant because they're not running around like toddlers tend to do. Many say they like to wait until the child qualifies for the kid's program because that way mom and dad get some time off and the kid's program tends to tire the kids out. It's really different for every family.

cruising is the best way for us to spend time together where mommy doesn't have to do any chores. If you want to take a vacation and bring your child' date=' I think a cruise is the best way at any age.

[/quote']

I second that thought! None of our land based vacations have compared relaxation wise to our family cruise. Our kids enjoyed it so much, it is the only trip they want to talk about taking. They turned down Disney this year for another cruise.:D

I think on most cruises the age for the activities is 3 years old and potty trained.

Nope, Carnival and NCL is 2 year old and not potty trained. Disney has a nursery for those under 3. And RCCL has in cabin sitting for 1 and over.

My kids love to cruise and have been doing it since they were babies. After you have the child. See what the baby's personality is like. And if your child is easy going and likes to be on the go....then go ahead and try cruising.

A cruise vacation is particularly good for family vacations - no driving from place to place and no daily packing and unpacking - so keeping up some routines is a bit easier.

If your infant is particularly colicy or has health issues, I'd rethink early travel. But if he/she is healthy and in pretty good spirits -- check with your pediatrian and go for it.

Like PP, I would say that the age really depends on what you are expecting out of your cruise.

If you're looking for a relaxing FAMILY experience, then a cruise is SO

EASY!! So long as you aren't worried about enjoying all of the nightlife, etc. And, if you are, consider bringing grandparents or other family along who might be willing to 'babysit' for a night. Unless, of course, you are comfortable with in cabin sitting, or whatever other arrangments are available on your particular ship for your child's particular age (I can't speak to those, since I'm a bit uncomfortable with someone I don't know watching my young child...but that's just MY preference. I don't think there is anything wrong using that service, if YOU'RE okay with it!).

We took our first daughter at 11 months and had a super time! Yes, make no mistake, it was a bit of work, since she was crawling everywhere, but we survived and still had a memorable vacation. At age 5, she still loves watching the video of our trip, and talks about it regularly! We haven't been able to cruise again with our girls, but can't wait to take them next year (they will be almost 6 and 3.5).

So long as you know what you are getting into, it can be a blast!

I think it depends. If you had asked me 12 months ago, I would have said any age is a great age to cruise.

But, the last cruise I went on, for the first time, both of our children were eligible for the children's programs and eligible to swim in any pool they wanted.

I have to admit, the vacation/cruise as a whole was much more enjoyable for all of us with both children having access to these amenities than our previous cruises.

Not that I'm not an advocate of cruising with babies, I absolutely am, but if you are asking for the "best" age to cruise then I would say: potty trained and eligible for children's programs.

Now that I think about it, age 8 and up might be the very "best" age to cruise, because I think that's the magic age for a lot of excursions including snorkling tours, etc. I haven't gotten there yet!

Archived