Travelling with Children

marthas harbour

I have been worrying and deliberating over this for quite a while now and its not long until our cruise:)

If you have young children in your party and they join in the childrens clubs, do they have to be signed in and out? I just have nightmare visions that my youngest girl will be left wandering around the ship and I need some reassurance.

Anyone have any experince of the childrens clubs? I have a child in each age group so keen to know if they will enjoy it?

The children's clubs on Princess are very secure. It's the only line we have traveled on where not only must you sign your child in and out, but you must also show a photo ID when you do so. You have the option of bringing your ID with you each time you pick your child up or they will photocopy it and keep it in the sign out book so it can be verified each time you pick up your child.

The staff does a very thorough presentation at the registration process on the first day of the cruise to explain rules and procedures. Again it is the most complete and thorough presentation I have ever seen on any line. Older children in the 8-12 range are allowed to sign themselves in and out, BUT ONLY if you have given permission for this. If not, they can only be signed in and out by an authorized adult.

I'm sure the kids in your party will have a great time in the Princess clubs. I have found they have great counselors and lots of fun activities for all ages.

My children started cruising (on Princess) when they were 4 and 7. I think that age group is called Pelicans. Anyways they were together and had a great time. They made picture frames, colored T-shirts, had scavenger hunts, etc. The kids would come back with prizes (pens, pencils, backpacks, stuffed animals, key chains, shirts). We even used late babysitting sitting. It was fabulous. They had a great time. They would take them over to the buffet for ice cream in the afternoon. And once we let them have dinner wit the kids club. They were taken over to the "closed" side of the buffet. It was completely secure. Their second cruise they were 10 and 7. Our oldest moved up an age group...we wanted to have them together, but the counsellors really prefer to keep age groups solid. We were so glad we did. Our oldest played videos and hung out with his age group while the 7 year olds do a bit more than the younger ones in Pelicans. For instance they would be taken over to the older kids and they disected squid, and decorated cookies with them. Then back at Pelicans the 7 year olds had sports contest, he was so excited to wear 10 medals leaving the ship. Third cruise they were 11 and 8. And they were both together again. It was on the Golden and I didn't think they had neither the greatest "area" for that age group, nor the best counsellors - however the kids still had a good time (not great). We did have our oldest check him and his brother out. On this last cruise after the first day we didn't need our ID's. Other cruises we needed them EVERY time. Every ship is a bit different. Once you get to your stateroom they will have a day by day itinerary for each of your kids. We would talk it over with the kids to see what they wanted to do. Unfortunately on this last cruise the kids club did not always stick to their itinerary which made it tough (alot of unnecessary trips back and forth). Also, since they were 8 and 11 we brought walkie-talkie's so that when they checked themselves out they could contact us so we could meet up. Overall I think the ship does a great job with the kids. This last cruise our kids wanted to eat meals with us. They got a kick out of formal nights and infact they were on their own to have their pictures taken (I have a few on my wall as memories of them doing that on their own). My kids would also go to the dining room for breakfast and lunch by themselves a few days (or with other young kids). It gave them a real sense of independance. (The first couple of meals they did that on their own my husband and I had a strategic spot in the same dining room so that we could spy on them. We even checked in with their server to make sure their manners were definately in tacked. It was a good time for all. Our kids LOVE cruising. Hope you all have a fantastic time with awesome memories.

Tina

I know you are on the Emerald Princess, but here is a link to a thread from the Family Board with copies of the daily Patters for the Pelicans (3-7) and Shock Waves (8-12) from a recent Golden Princess cruise. You will find the activities are similar on each Princess ship, so by looking at them you can get some ideas about the types of activities for kids onboard.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=740402

Just wondering as well about dining in the evening, we all wanted to eat together but will this hinder their time in the clubs?

The evening Kids Club activities usually start at 7 pm. If you have Anytime Dining, you could eat at 5:30 pm and probably be done by 7 pm. Also, you can check the Kids Patters and decide whether on a particular day your kid doesn't want to miss the first activity. On our recent Golden Princess cruise, we usually ate at 6 pm. We liked to do all the courses so we tended not to be done until 8 pm. Sometimes we asked the waiter to bring our younger DD (age 7) her entree early, while we had appetizers. Then one of us would run her up to the Fun Zone between courses. It really doesn't take long to do that.

Our older DD (age 11) was authorized to sign herself in and out. She usually liked to eat more of the courses, but sometimes she'd get bored and excuse herself early from dinner to go to the Fun Zone.

Hope that helps.

--Junglejane

I have been worrying and deliberating over this for quite a while now and its not long until our cruise:)

If you have young children in your party and they join in the childrens clubs, do they have to be signed in and out? I just have nightmare visions that my youngest girl will be left wandering around the ship and I need some reassurance.

Anyone have any experince of the childrens clubs? I have a child in each age group so keen to know if they will enjoy it?

I'm on this same cruise with my 9 year old son. We have never sailed with Princess before but he loved the kids clubs on Royal Caribbean and Carnival...couldn't get him to leave! I have always had to sign him in and out. Last Carnival cruise I had to show the room key as well.

Do you have a child around the same age?

As a mom, I understand your worry. That's what we moms do - worry! ;)

I hope I can help put your mind at ease. My sons have been cruising since 1999 and every time, we've found the kids' program to be pretty secure. In our experience, the smaller the group, the more secure it is. Never once have they, or us, felt threatened or unsafe with the program.

Your kids may, or may not, be ready to participate. It just depends on their personalities and how comfortable they feel in the setting. Whatever you do, don't push them into it and make sure you go on the first night to the informational meeting. You & your DH may have to split up to attend them since you have different aged kids.

Just be forewarned - they may end up becoming addicted to cruising! ;)

On the Sapphire we had to sign my 3YO GS in and out. All signers had to present picture ID which they copied (although there were so few kids that they knew us by sight the 2nd day). They also have pagers if need be. Since they can't help the kids that are newly potty trained, they will page you if they need to be helped or if there is a problem.

Archived