Ships Whistle Blasts

Jsipes

I have noticed most Cruise Lines do not follow international rules of the road in using whistle blasts to indicate course changes and /or backing, nor do they usually issue a prolonged bleast when getting underway. Is there any particular reason for this ?

I have noticed most Cruise Lines do not follow international rules of the road in using whistle blasts to indicate course changes and /or backing, nor do they usually issue a prolonged bleast when getting underway. Is there any particular reason for this ?

My experience with Seabourn is, that they DO follow these rules. Especially when there are more ships around and it could be important. Besides when there is a "friendly" ship nearby and a Seabourn ship is leaving (or the other ship for that matter) there is always a possibility of a real "concert" of "horn blowing"! Always funny and heart warming. It gives me goose pimples.

Marja

Marja,

Quite agree with you. I think the 'horn blasting away' adds to the cruise experience.

I get goose pimples also. If I recall when a ship is departing, three blasts denotes 'stand clear ship underway'

All the ships I have been on have adhered to strict rules/protocols regarding whistle blasts.

Kind regards,

Tony.

My experience with Seabourn is, that they DO follow these rules. Especially when there are more ships around and it could be important. Besides when there is a "friendly" ship nearby and a Seabourn ship is leaving (or the other ship for that matter) there is always a possibility of a real "concert" of "horn blowing"! Always funny and heart warming. It gives me goose pimples.

Marja

I recall crossing another ship in Kiel canal them talking to each other as in " Close Encounters" :cool:

I recall crossing another ship in Kiel canal them talking to each other as in " Close Encounters" :cool:

Ships (including cruise ships) do not use their horns to "talk" to each other, the horns are used to indicate the next movement that the ship will execute. Horns can be used when ships of the same line meet as a form of greeting or on special ocassions when say QEII visits a port and all ships join in a horn chorus.

SHIP’S HORN IN CLOSE PROXIMITY:

In close proximity, here are the meanings of the Ship’s Horn:

One short blast means 'I am changing course to starboard.'

Two short blasts mean 'I am changing course to port.'

Three short blasts mean 'I am operating astern.'

Two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast to mean 'I intend to overtake you on your starboard side';

Two prolonged blasts followed by two short blasts to mean 'I intend to over-take you on your port side.'

A long blast every two minutes is used when operating in fog.

Ron

Great post Blaue Danube and welcome to the Seabourn Board!

I used to know all the above by heart, because I studied coastal navigation and graduated! Some of it I still remember. But in a way it is still a kind of "talking" from one ship to another (all the others at the same time).

Marja

Archived