PG Pre cruise Help Needed

CruiserPK

We are booked on the 9/27 PG cruise for two weeks! We are so excited about this adventure, but need help with pre cruise accomodations. We have eight nights prior to our cruise and need assistance in figuring out how long to stay in each spot. Is it worthwhile to spend a few nights on Tahiti prior to an over water bungalow stay in Moorea? It does look like nice hiking is available. (Mt. Aorai and cross island hikes). Accomodation suggestions would be greatly appreciated from those with recent visits to the islands. Also, is it better to ride the high speed catamaran to Moorea or take a flight?

Cheers, Pam

Wow, how nice that you have 8 days, what a great idea!

If you've got a late-night flight in from somewhere, spending the night in Tahiti makes sense. After that, get yourself somewhere else.

Are you planning of a couple of different islands, or just Moorea? It might be nice to try a second destination, but then again, right now 8 days in Moorea sounds like heaven to me!

I think that if you need to rest, then 8 days prior to the cruise will be great. However, one of my past cruise passengers told me that they stayed 7 nights on Bora Bora prior to the cruise and they were bored out of their minds. I think more than the hotel, you should be thinking of what you plan to do or not do with those days.

Wendy, I have seen your numerous posts on the PG and Tahiti and value your insight. Is the island of Tahiti so awful that only one night is necessary? I bought the Frommer's South Pacific travel guide and it looks like a couple days in a hotel on Tahiti would be nice. We love to hike and I found a company that does day hikes. (www.tahitievasion.com) My husband likes to play golf too, so that could be another day while I relax at the pool.

As for hotels, Amex plat. offers Le Meridien at a very good rate ($219 + tax) which includes their ammenities. Is that a property you are familiar with? We are uncertain where to stay on Moorea, but if another property on another island is a favorite, please advise!

Thanks Cruisedreamer for your comments. We are highly active, so perhaps we need to break our time up between more than 2 places.

Cheers, Pam

No, I don't think Tahiti is awful at all. It's just lots more bustling and urban than the other islands. The hotels are okay, but some are pretty ersatz, and not charmingly laid-back like some of the other islands. But I guess a golf-course or two would make a big difference, and if you like being on your own, then you could go into town and shop in the market instead of spending *all* your time lying by the pool.

Moorea is stunningly beautiful, but with enough stuff to do to keep from getting bored. I also hear there's a little golf course there now. But if there's golf on Tahiti, then go for it, for a few days. Rent a car one day and go as far as you can. I think there are probably hiking trips available in the mountains as well, don't know, I'm past the hiking stage, at least in the tropics.

My personal favourite island is Manihi (no golf), but I've only been a few places. Aside from the beautiful lagoon, Bora Bora is my least favourite I think.

Rest up for a couple nights at the intercontinetal tahiti, then I'd move on to Morea, Lots of choices of places to stay and yes there are things to do

to keep from getting bored, Morea is a quick "hop skip & jump" from tahiti.

If you are really adventuresome check out the piano bar when the ship returns to papeete and overnights at the end of the cruise. Its only a couple blocks from the pier. Bet you can't tell the "she's"from the "he-she's"... Its an experience you won't forget..

Have fun, we've been on the PG 2 times once for a week, the second time for 2 weeks to the Marqueses...

Tahiti is not "awful", just more populated and more urban in areas. But there are some great places to hike on Tahiti itself. We rented a car and went down some very back roads that had beautiful scenery. I probably wouldn't hike without a guide in Tahiti--and we hike a lot--because the trails aren't well marked.

Archived