Do we really need to register with customs?

btobey

I saw something in our cruise documents about registering any valuables with customs before you leave so that you won't have any problems bringing these items back into the country--is this really necessary? The biggest ticket item I can think of is my engagement ring, which I wore on our honeymoon cruise 5 years ago without any problems (and without registering with customs). Other than that, we have a pretty standard digital camera, binoculars, maybe some basic gold jewelry...all the same things I've brought on past cruises, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the customs thing.

This is one of those things that cruise lines tell you to protect their rear end. Theoretically if you have an item such as a new camera that you bought in the USA and took along on the cruise and it still looks new when you return to the USA, customs might assume that it was bought overseas. Therefore you need to register the item before you leave. I don't anyone who has done that and i don't know anyone who has ever gotten into trouble for not registering an item.

I have registered items with customs. All such items have to have a serial number. A ring wouldn't have a serial number.

Now that you can't find a bargain on many cameras and etc outside of the US, the logic of taking the time and effort to register is broken.

If you have a brand new item, it certainly is a good idea to take along your paid receipt for that item.

I read of a case on these boards where a man had to pay duty on his Rolex watch because he couldn't prove it wasn't bought outside the country. Maybe the Customs agent decided he was acting "suspiciously". Anyway, had he registered it, that would not have happened.

We convinced our DD to NOT bring her $8,000 engagement ring on a cruise, because it wouldn't be a good idea to wear it in ports anyway!

btobey - the CBP site says "Documents that fully describe the item—such as sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's appraisals—are acceptable forms of proof." Do you have anything for your ring?

Archived